• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 23, 2018, 09:18:30 AM
It's wild, isn't it? I have been listening to a lot of old shows since Art died and am finding the very same things.

I can't remember the exact episode, but there is one where Art is discussing technology with Howard Rheingold.  They were talking about NSA and government surveillance right after the 9/11 attacks.  This was back when Art supported mass govt surveillance to catch terrorists and Howard mentioned how the NSA could be abused by allowing a current president to spy on his political opponents, which is exactly what happened to Trump in 2016.

Howard Rheingold also discusses how text messaging was taking off in Asia, and then goes on to predict that the next "computer revolution" would be with mobile handheld devices (of course now known as "smartphones"). 

It's pretty incredible considering that this was way before the iPhone.  Some of Art's shows are truly prophetic.  Just like how Terrence McKenna predicted jokingly in the 90's about how in the future you could "become god through the public utilities"...  long before broadband internet and virtual reality was available... cool shit.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: creepygreenlight on April 23, 2018, 10:35:16 AM
I can't remember the exact episode, but there is one where Art is discussing technology with Howard Rheingold.  They were talking about NSA and government surveillance right after the 9/11 attacks.  This was back when Art supported mass govt surveillance to catch terrorists and Howard mentioned how the NSA could be abused by allowing a current president to spy on his political opponents, which is exactly what happened to Trump in 2016.

Howard Rheingold also discusses how text messaging was taking off in Asia, and then goes on to predict that the next "computer revolution" would be with mobile handheld devices (of course now known as "smartphones"). 

It's pretty incredible considering that this was way before the iPhone.  Some of Art's shows are truly prophetic.  Just like how Terrence McKenna predicted jokingly in the 90's about how in the future you could "become god through the public utilities"...  long before broadband internet and virtual reality was available... cool shit.
Truly magical radio.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 23, 2018, 10:42:12 AM
Truly magical radio.

Yep, and this is why Art's shows are so timeless.  Terrence McKenna also predicted that "driving to the office is so retro"... in the fucking 90s.  He predicted that the internet would eventually allow people to work remotely back when the concept was nearly unimaginable to most people, probably even Art himself.

Kinda makes you wish you could call back into those 90's show as a time traveler. :D

ponyboysunset

Quote from: creepygreenlight on April 23, 2018, 10:44:32 AM
Yep, and this is why Art's shows are so timeless.  Terrence McKenna also predicted that "driving to the office is so retro"... in the fucking 90s.  He predicted that the internet would eventually allow people to work remotely back when the concept was nearly unimaginable to most people, probably even Art himself.

Kinda makes you wish you could call back into those 90's show as a time traveler. :D
It absolutely does make me wish I could do that! I love those open lines shows as well. Art was a brilliant broadcaster.  :)

Sean92008

I wonder if Art regretted the inscription after marrying Airyn... (No, not the misspelling)

I wonder if Airyn gets it.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: cyclosp214 on April 22, 2018, 11:20:49 PM
I seriously think I know who the stalker is. There is a dude on YouTube That posted video In front of Art Bell's house During the day But he did not give the location So I posted a message on their I want to say it was in October If you can tell me what the address was I never heard back from him Except That day Our twin off the air That guy sent me his address I was scared to speak up then Thinking he was trying to set me up Or something Always thought it was a strange coincidence Or not That he sent me that address The same night That crap went down I don't think that Video is still up on YouTube anymore.

Hi Art!

ItsOver

Quote from: Roswells, Art on April 23, 2018, 01:02:55 PM
Hi Art!
Electronic Posting Phenomena (EPP).  I knew it.

DanTSX

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 23, 2018, 10:59:59 AM
I wonder if Art regretted the inscription after marrying Airyn... (No, not the misspelling)

I wonder if Airyn gets it.

George “gets it”

ItsOver

MV/Liberace!

Remember when I said on the GabCast that I had all of these messages Art sent to people but they never went anywhere because Art kept replying to the "You've got a personal message" notification email?  Well, I've gone ahead and forwarded all of those along to the intended recipients.  What a job that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDyQO4cv9c

Juan

Quote from: mv on April 23, 2018, 01:54:01 PM
Remember when I said on the GabCast that I had all of these messages Art sent to people but they never went anywhere because Art kept replying to the "You've got a personal message" notification email?  Well, I've gone ahead and forwarded all of those along to the intended recipients.  What a job that was.
When will you post them for the rest of us?

malliard

Thanks Mv

Hells Mole

If someone's email had changed since Art sent those would you have sent to the person's updated address or the old one?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Hells Mole on April 23, 2018, 02:13:08 PM
If someone's email had changed since Art sent those would you have sent to the person's updated address or the old one?

I sent them all to their PM inboxes.

Lord Grantham

You're the hero we need, but not the one we deserve.

bellNwhistle

I didn’t get one.  :'(

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bellNwhistle on April 23, 2018, 02:40:18 PM
I didn’t get one.  :'(

Art specifically informed me that he never liked you and had no intention of communicating with you.  I'm sorry.

Quote from: Juan on April 23, 2018, 01:57:24 PM
When will you post them for the rest of us?

LOL what kind of asshole admin publicly posts PMs?

bellNwhistle

Quote from: mv on April 23, 2018, 02:42:18 PM
Art specifically informed me that he never liked you and had no intention of communicating with you.  I'm sorry.
What a dick.  ;D ;D

ge30542

Quote from: bellNwhistle on April 23, 2018, 02:53:47 PM
What a dick.  ;D ;D
What a dick indeed. It certainly is a keeper.

The wheeels are in motion!!

Grifynne

So it looks like the rabid fans are rejoicing with news of HW's return in a week and reruns the next 5 days (with no guest host show tonight).

devoidzero

Anyone who wants Hoagie's Art tribute show with Howard Hughes, send me a PM (if you already have access to my Dropbox share it's in the folder "Art Bell Tributes"). 

Sean92008

Gotta wonder about that C. Crane catalog with Asia and her "I love radio" design.

Why do they need to "donate a dollar for her future?"

Jus' wond'rin'

El Chorro

Yeah a whole dollar from a $25 t-shirt sale. She may get a textbook out of it.