• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

PING

Quote from: VoteQuimby on January 17, 2016, 11:29:03 PM
Duuuuddddddddeeeeeeee great call, great call.

Art Bell - Mega heel, ultimate boss heel. We're talking Hollywood Hogan at his NWO zenith levels of heat.

Heather - Number two heel in the company but too much of a jabroni buffoon to be taken seriously. Getting a mega push because of the boss despite the fans not buying it. Kind of like Mike Graham.

Falkie - Tweener, kind of like Raven at his peak. Fans hated him for his wishy washiness and whinyness yet still was arguably the most over person in the company.

MV - Reluctant disillusioned baby face like Cactus Jack in ECW.

bateman - Mega face as he has the best alternative show right now and is show an anti-authority turn like Stone Cold Steve Austin.

George Noory - Washed up mid-card heel who once had potential but now no one cares about. Like Jeff Jarrett.

I'm late posting this. Sorry life got in the way of Bellgabbing.

I see Art as evil Mr. McMahon. Total power trip. Everyone loved to hate him.

Heather would be Stephanie McMahon. Remember when she first came on she was pushed down our throats & people resisted. Parallels here.

Falkie: I don't get his appeal. He's the equivalent of Xpac heat to me.

Bateman is Sting (crow version; I know I'm mixing WWF & WCW metaphors): way over, courted by all sides but remaining above it all.

Praise MV!

Robert

Quote from: ge30542 on January 18, 2016, 11:18:25 PMFriday night, redacted said Keith would update the list of radio stations for display tonight.
By my count, it went from 43 down to 39.
That's a helluva lot more than I would've thought.
More down, or more stations?

Dyna-X

Quote from: munbeam666 on January 19, 2016, 10:14:31 AM
excuse me but what is 4chan?

4chan is a website that seems to be a semi random collection of threads filled with mostly hate, obscenity and the bizzare in an icky way (but nothing anybody with an IQ over 90 would appreciate). I suspect it is an insurgent troll training ground.  It makes Bellgab look like a nice neighborhood in suburbia. Praise MV.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert on January 19, 2016, 10:25:00 AM
More down, or more stations?

The number of affiliates is probably the least of their worries right now. They don't make any direct revenue from the affiliates. They offer the stream for free.

The idea of affiliates is more strategic in nature. The more listeners they can claim, the easier it is to find advertisers. And more listeners increases the chance for them to garner subscribers. Ultimately, the only revenue they have in their business model is through Time Traveller subscriptions and their ability to sell 6 minutes an hour of commercials.

Dyna-X

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 19, 2016, 10:36:55 AM
The number of affiliates is probably the least of their worries right now. They don't make any direct revenue from the affiliates. They offer the stream for free.

The idea of affiliates is more strategic in nature. The more listeners they can claim, the easier it is to find advertisers. And more listeners increases the chance for them to garner subscribers. Ultimately, the only revenue they have in their business model is through Time Traveller subscriptions and their ability to sell 6 minutes an hour of commercials.

The potential listeners on affililiates allows for ad slots to be sold at higher prices, thats really the only practical reason to have affiliates at all.

WOTR

Dyna is partially right.  There are a lot of threads... The one that everybody here is concerned with is an Art Bell thread that competes with this thread for the title of "the official gathering place for Art Bell fans."  :P

ziznak

it's where trolls come from... and lotsa internet meme's. 

Quote from: PING on January 19, 2016, 10:17:09 AM

I see Art as evil Mr. McMahon. Total power trip. Everyone loved to hate him.

Heather would be Stephanie McMahon. Remember when she first came on she was pushed down our throats & people resisted. Parallels here.

I'm fine with Art being Art, we all should have expected it, but this clone of a clone of clone of a mannequin personality Heather GOTS TA GO!

Quote from: ge30542 on January 18, 2016, 11:18:25 PM
By my count, it went from 43 down to 39.
That's a helluva lot more than I would've thought.

That number will be in the teens in a few weeks.  Affiliates signed on for the name Art Bell, you think they want to waste air time with amateur hour?

3OctaveFart

Money is the only thing that will fix this problem. Do the right thing, blow the thing up and pay them. Act decisively for once.

And whoever agrees to work for Art Bell in the future should arrange for provision, given his history.

ONeill

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on January 18, 2016, 07:31:03 AM
HW: I appreciate everybody takin' a moment to listen to that great, groundbreaking song that David Bowie brought us and, uh, who's gonna fill his shoes, right? That's a question I've been hearin' a lot lately and, uh, [pause] I can relate because you know what? I'm here filling some pretty big shoes right now and there's a question of, uh, whether or not it's appropriate to have a female in this position.

Did she seriously say that? wow...

ItsOver

Quote from: Fields_of_Tron on January 19, 2016, 12:25:34 PM
That number will be in the teens in a few weeks.  Affiliates signed on for the name Art Bell, you think they want to waste air time with amateur hour?
I'm surprised there are ANY radio affiliates signed-up at this point.

Quote from: ONeill on January 19, 2016, 01:00:35 PM
Did she seriously say that? wow...

She did, then gave out her email to drum up support. Heather sounded absolutely bonkers on the Gabcast, so anything she says is questionable at this point. Peter Eberhardt didn't tell her that the program wouldn't sell because she's a woman and only leveled with her about her performance (which probably came as a shock, given Art's "she's getting better every week" fluff), getting fired in the process. What we're witnessing are the death throes of a network.

coaster

Quote from: Fields_of_Tron on January 19, 2016, 12:25:34 PM
Affiliates signed on for the name Art Bell, you think they want to waste air time with amateur hour?
Exactly. No matter who is doing the show, affiliates will leave if it isn't Art Bell. I'm also confused with what Heather said. A lot of people are asking her who is going to fill David Bowie's shoes? Why would people ask her that? Is she the president of a David Bowie fan club or something? Seems like an odd question to ask someone.
And did she compare herself to Bowie? I find myself scratching my head a lot when Heather says Heather things.

ItsOver

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on January 19, 2016, 01:26:28 PM
She did, then gave out her email to drum up support. Heather sounded absolutely bonkers on the Gabcast, so anything she says is questionable at this point. Peter Eberhardt didn't tell her that the program wouldn't sell because she's a woman and only leveled with her about her performance (which probably came as a shock, given Art's "she's getting better every week" fluff), getting fired in the process. What we're witnessing are the death throes of a network.
Let's see.  Heather was Art's choice, yet, as I understand it, Keith was looking for "options" last week, in other words, looking to replace Heather, the reason for contacting both Hughes and Bateman.   I understand Keith owns DMDN, but you'd think Art would be pissed at Keith if he was trying to replace his first choice, without consulting him.  Heather hears out about the search for an "alternative" and obviously took out her anger on Bateman.  What a freaking circus.

ONeill

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on January 19, 2016, 01:26:28 PM

I'm listening right now, it's disturbing. I felt it would go this way after those few embarrassing posts she left here at the beginning of January, she had lost contact with reality. She should have told them to fuck themselves, and demanded a huge check from Art. Well, al least she can still do both those things.

ItsOver

Quote from: ONeill on January 19, 2016, 01:34:44 PM
I'm listening right now, it's disturbing. I felt it would go this way after those few embarrassing posts she left here at the beginning of January, she had lost contact with reality. She should have told them to fuck themselves, and demanded a huge check from Art. Well, al least she can still do both those things.
Yes.  After a month of this nonsense, I would have been long gone, with a big F you very much.

coaster

How long did Art know Heather before he wanted to make her co-host? I found it odd that Art wanted to change the format of the show. Just seems like everything happened so fast. I still think a lot of these weird decisions were made because Art was attracted to her. I could be going out on a limb when I say that, but if it was two other random people, it would be pretty obvious why these decisions were made. But because it was Art, I think people pussyfoot around the subject.
Maybe Art had the hots for her...
I can't think of any other reason a seasoned professional with a lifetime of radio experience would make such stupid decisions.

Lilith

OK. So...Everybody kick me if you want, but my guess, Art is not coming back, at least not in any meaningful way IMO.  Therefore, NOBODY needs to keep Arts seat warm for him to come back to.  I say, leave it empty.  Nobody can be who Art used to be, not even Art from what I've heard on MITD since Arts return.  Just my 2 cents.  Runs and hides under the table while people throw rotten eggs and tomatoes.  ::) :o

norland2424

Quote from: coaster on January 19, 2016, 01:39:15 PM
How long did Art know Heather before he wanted to make her co-host? I found it odd that Art wanted to change the format of the show. Just seems like everything happened so fast. I still think a lot of these weird decisions were made because Art was attracted to her. I could be going out on a limb when I say that, but if it was two other random people, it would be pretty obvious why these decisions were made. But because it was Art, I think people pussyfoot around the subject.
Maybe Art had the hots for her...
I can't think of any other reason a seasoned professional with a lifetime of radio experience would make such stupid decisions.
He wouldn't be the first or the last man to do that.

Quote from: coaster on January 19, 2016, 01:39:15 PM

I'll take a stab at this, how about Art felt guilty about Heather having given up a high paying job to work for him as producer? So when he quit there was no show to produce so he put her in the role of producer and host to keep her employed.

Does anyone have a recording of Heather's recent meltdowns?  I cannot listen to her without my testicles shrinking and quivering in pain, otherwise I'd tune in myself to hear the sound of slow twisting metal just like any other good quality trainwreck.  Also I don't want her to mistake me for an actual fan, so I don't want to actually tune in to a live show.

coaster

Quote from: Northern Nights on January 19, 2016, 01:52:35 PM
I'll take a stab at this, how about Art felt guilty about Heather having given up a high paying job to work for him as producer? So when he quit there was no show to produce so he put her in the role of producer and host to keep her employed.
wasn't she going to be "co-host" before the producer job became available? He was really trying to push her onto his audience. co-host, producer, and then finally a full time gig. Just seems weird. To give her some credit, I think she was doing a good job as producer.

BellBoy

Quote from: brig on January 19, 2016, 01:40:13 PM
OK. So...Everybody kick me if you want, but my guess, Art is not coming back, at least not in any meaningful way IMO.  Therefore, NOBODY needs to keep Arts seat warm for him to come back to.  I say, leave it empty.  Nobody can be who Art used to be, not even Art from what I've heard on MITD since Arts return.  Just my 2 cents.  Runs and hides under the table while people throw rotten eggs and tomatoes.  ::) :o

+2 cents!

Quote from: brig on January 19, 2016, 01:40:13 PM
OK. So...Everybody kick me if you want, but my guess, Art is not coming back, at least not in any meaningful way IMO.

I hate to say this, but I agree.  Art has officially burned all of his bridges of support... how could he possibly come back from this, even if he wanted to?  He's betrayed so many loyal fans.  His Facebook page is a joke, it's an echo chamber of brainless following fools, but perhaps that's what makes him feel better about all of this.  I think we'd rather just listen to reruns from the 90's and early 2000's and act like Art never came back. 

The most shocking thing of all is the amount of respect I have now gained for Noory just because he fucking shows up to work every night.   He may have the conversation skills of a brick wall, but at least the motherfucker shows up and I've learned recently how rare of a skill that seems to be.

munbeam666

Quote from: ItsOver on January 19, 2016, 01:33:52 PM
Let's see.  Heather was Art's choice, yet, as I understand it, Keith was looking for "options" last week, in other words, looking to replace Heather, the reason for contacting both Hughes and Bateman.   I understand Keith owns DMDN, but you'd think Art would be pissed at Keith if he was trying to replace his first choice, without consulting him.  Heather hears out about the search for an "alternative" and obviously took out her anger on Bateman.  What a freaking circus.
did she sign a non-compete?

Lilith

ziznak

Maybe Art was trying to get the show started... bring in some co-host's after a while... and then sloooowly sift himself off the show with the hopes it would stand on it's own?   Like he wanted to create something like coast again that he could then influence from behind the scenes with the nightly option of possibly jumping on the mic whenever the whim would hit him?

Then the stalker thing... however it happened, happened.  and there you go... maybe sped up his 5 year plan into a few months?

I know I'm not alone in thinking that if the "stalker" thing came to a close and he suddenly came back I'd probly shit myself... but if I WERE HIM... and I wanted to come back except this stalker was pulling some ish, I'd have already come back on the air on a few random unannounced nights.

the fact that he hasn't pulled an impromptu show seems to point to him not really wanting to come back to me...