• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Dyna-X

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 02, 2017, 08:08:50 AM
What have you guys got against Bono? Wait let me guess, his long winded speeches in the middle of U2 concerts or his overall doucheness?

At any rate really enjoying the show. Man people were convinced an alien ship was going to crash land too. I miss the general wackiness of Art's old shows. No one has the ability to get that many nut cases, cat ladies, "psychics", serial killers, and your everyday garden variety weirdos to call in.
Having a few million regular listeners helps. It took dedicated "crazies" and those with super stories to wait on hold all night or for multiple nights to get through. The analog sounded better. There wasn't much of a web to debunk the wild stories, but just enough of one to propagate rumor.  Its all from a unique epoch when the timelines of tech, people, and business mixed with Art's talent was just right to create the perfect stew. The shock value effect of weird hadn't reached a saturation point.  I don't know that even if Art wanted to he could do that again :( So enjoy them if you have them.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on May 02, 2017, 11:38:18 AM
Having a few million regular listeners helps. It took dedicated "crazies" and those with super stories to wait on hold all night or for multiple nights to get through. The analog sounded better. There wasn't much of a web to debunk the wild stories, but just enough of one to propagate rumor.  Its all from a unique epoch when the timelines of tech, people, and business mixed with Art's talent was just right to create the perfect stew. The shock value effect of weird hadn't reached a saturation point.  I don't know that even if Art wanted to he could do that again :( So enjoy them if you have them.

Oh great! So, you're the one that knows EVERYTHING now. No mysteries anymore. Just ask Dyna. She has ALL the answers. Puh-LEASE!  ::)

RoseGirl

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 11:44:15 AM
Oh great! So, you're the one that knows EVERYTHING now. No mysteries anymore. Just ask Dyna. She has ALL the answers. Puh-LEASE!  ::)

Watch out, Dyna. It gets pissy when it's bested. Walk slowly and avoid sudden movements.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on May 02, 2017, 11:38:18 AM
This is so true and was brought up when Art started MITD. Several people posted that it just wasn't the same. The audience was much smaller too with MITD. And I do enjoy the old shows. I have archives and there are also several channels on youtube that have binges of him. Today I went for a walk in a huge cemetery at lunch and listened to a binge of Ghost to Ghost. It was magical in its own way.

Heather doesn't and didn't stand a chance in that regard. Smaller audience, lack of experience, and also her audience was largely Art Bell fans who had come to enjoy his brand of talk radio, which as we just discussed doesn't even really exist anymore. I think at this point radio is dying. No one has to listen to anything they don't want to because of a lack of choices but finding a diamond in the rough is a lot harder now too.

Jesus I sound old. (I'm going to go spin some 45s and watch a movie on my beta recorder while yelling at the kids to get off of my lawn)

Dyna-X

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 11:44:15 AM
Not ALL of them, just a few of them ::) There are more mysteries now than ever. Problem is many of the gems are buried in the noise.  These days Art would in addition to a producer need a small staff trained to ferret out the best stuff that would stand up to the light of scrutiny. This is why people turn to George Knapp now. Not that he has a staff, but hes a real journalist and can do this relatively well on the fly or at least make a good college attempt to shake the truth from ring leaders of the latest "buzz" (i.e. Delonge)

Art never claimed to be a journalist, just a talk show host that wanted to talk about what the other hosts were not. This was somewhat modest of him as he did have some of the instincts of a journalist even though he would not claim that title.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on May 02, 2017, 12:09:00 PM
Not ALL of them, just a few of them ::) There are more mysteries now than ever. Problem is many of the gems are buried in the noise.  These days Art would in addition to a producer need a small staff trained to ferret out the best stuff that would stand up to the light of scrutiny. This is why people turn to George Knapp now. Not that he has a staff, but hes a real journalist and can do this relatively well on the fly or at least make a good college attempt to shake the truth from ring leaders of the latest "buzz" (i.e. Delonge)

Art never claimed to be a journalist, just a talk show host that wanted to talk about what the other hosts were not. This was somewhat modest of him as he did have some of the instincts of a journalist even though he would not claim that title.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I wish Art did have a decent production staff to help develop interesting stories and guests; one that remembers that he wasn't strictly a paranormal show but more of a grab bag of hard to categorize, outside the box type stories and investigations. Personally, I can do without ghost and bigfoot shows but I know that some really love them. As long as Art was the host he could ride the line between the believable and unbelievable with any topic better than anyone and still ask good enough questions to keep the show interesting. It's shows that feel they have to fall into this paranormal genre thing that usually seem particularly bullshitty to me. That's why I stopped listening to Heather. She dove into the deep end without her water wings one too many times for me and now I just don't care about her show anymore. I would still listen to Hoagie if he were on, in spite of all his bullshit; but that's more of meta thing that has as much to do with his thread here as his actual show.

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 12:36:43 PM
I wish Art did have a decent production staff

Asia seems a decent example.

Jackstar

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 11:46:40 AM
It gets pissy

I feel like this is a huge deal for lesbians.
... am I wrong here? Asking for my act.

I have a feeling Ramona did a lot of the production on c2c and played a big part in its success. I also feel she helped nudge the show from the political into the paranormal

Kolchak

It's shows that feel they have to fall into this paranormal genre thing that usually seem particularly bullshitty to me. That's why I stopped listening to Heather. She dove into the deep end without her water wings one too many times for me and now I just don't care about her show anymore.

As someone who doesn't believe in the paranormal, but in a Mulder-esque way wants to, I always appreciated Art's skepticism but willingness to hear a caller out. Heather seems to have completely bought into all of this stuff years ago and makes no attempt to probe guests who are obvious frauds.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kolchak on May 02, 2017, 02:03:45 PM
As someone who doesn't believe in the paranormal, but in a Mulder-esque way wants to, I always appreciated Art's skepticism but willingness to hear a caller out. Heather seems to have completely bought into all of this stuff years ago and makes no attempt to probe guests who are obvious frauds.

^^^^^^^^^

WINNER!

RoseGirl

Quote from: Jackstar on May 02, 2017, 01:16:12 PM

This 'edit someone's post and then add a juvenile retort' isn't doing much for you, Mr. Jack. Really, it's just sorta pathetic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

RoseGirl

Yeah, I can agree with that. I wish Art did have a decent production staff to help develop interesting stories and guests; one that remembers that he wasn't strictly a paranormal show but more of a grab bag of hard to categorize, outside the box type stories and investigations. Personally, I can do without ghost and bigfoot shows but I know that some really love them. As long as Art was the host he could ride the line between the believable and unbelievable with any topic better than anyone and still ask good enough questions to keep the show interesting. It's shows that feel they have to fall into this paranormal genre thing that usually seem particularly bullshitty to me. That's why I stopped listening to Heather. She dove into the deep end without her water wings one too many times for me and now I just don't care about her show anymore. I would still listen to Hoagie if he were on, in spite of all his bullshit; but that's more of meta thing that has as much to do with his thread here as his actual show.

Gawd...you're an idiot.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:10:18 PM
Gawd...you're an idiot.

Yeah, that's quite the probing analysis of my post. Next time just grunt your dissatisfaction.  ::)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on May 02, 2017, 01:16:12 PM

Really great post, Jack!  :D

RoseGirl

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 02:12:58 PM

ohhhh....you sure told me. Sure did, Yep.
:(

RoseGirl

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 02:11:45 PM
Yeah, that's quite the probing analysis of my post. Next time just grunt your dissatisfaction.  ::)
\

Note to self: little words, the big ones frighten them.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:14:48 PM
ohhhh....you sure told me. Sure did, Yep.
:(

I was talking to Jack, dirtbag!  >:(

ItsOver

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on May 02, 2017, 01:52:00 PM
I have a feeling Ramona did a lot of the production on c2c and played a big part in its success. I also feel she helped nudge the show from the political into the paranormal
As well as keep Art The Drama Queen under control, at least for public consumption.  Art shooting his foot off became a common occurrence after her passing.

RoseGirl

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 02:16:21 PM
I was talking to Jack, dirtbag!  >:(

No you weren't.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:21:00 PM
No you weren't.

Yeah, I was. The clue was that I quoted his post.  ::)

RoseGirl

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 02:23:15 PM
Yeah, I was. The clue was that I quoted his post.  ::)

*sigh*

You got nothin', do ya?

I shall shun you again. Filed under 'not worth the time'

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:27:28 PM

Again?! When did the first time happen?  ???

No, I really wish you would shun me, you horrible troll.  :D

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:27:28 PM
*sigh*

You got nothin', do ya?

Have you noticed this entire forum has categorized you that way? Cunt.

IHeartradio is laying people off

QuoteThere were other iHeart Media cuts Monday, including multiple layoffs in Grand Rapids.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2017/05/01/matt-shepard-fired-wdfn-radio-show/101178274/

QuoteiHeartMedia Inc., the parent company of iHeartRadio, is $20 billion in debt, according to MarketWatch, a news service published by Dow Jones & Co. Other media reports indicated iHeartRadio is on the verge of collapse and could include language in its next quarterly report to investors that it may not survive another year.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4257357-report-iheartradio-faces-potential-collapse

RoseGirl

Quote from: Mister Ratty Patty on May 02, 2017, 02:33:16 PM
Have you noticed this entire forum has categorized you that way? Cunt.

Oh so you two are teaming up now. PussyDoc and the MVRat. How predictable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2npX7UQjU8

mikuthing01

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 02:12:58 PM

Do lesbians really piss on each other, is that a thing?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: mikuthing01🇯🇵🗾🗼🎋🌸🐙🐲🐼 on May 02, 2017, 02:39:28 PM

What are you asking me for?!  :D

RoseGirl

Quote from: mikuthing01🇯🇵🗾🗼🎋🌸🐙🐲🐼 on May 02, 2017, 02:39:28 PM

No....that's a thing the US presidents do. Very confusing, isn't it?