• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

Metron2267

Quote from: Taaroa on January 15, 2019, 06:38:38 PM
There's a similar thing in Australia with the local version of Sky News. There was a concerted effort last year to get airports (mainly frequent flyer clubs) to stop showing it after someone made some comment or other. The channel has become more conservative and politics oriented in the past few years and so have strapped a big target on their back, but I can't help feel that the people in frequent flyer clubs aren't the ones who'd have a problem with such a channel.
Sky is Murdoch-owned still, yes? So how liberal were they?

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2019, 06:27:04 PM
When there was a "crunch" in Cali some years ago my cousin said they shut off the "library" at school and when parents volunteered to man it the teacher's union, and then school district, said "no." So kids had no library.
Total and absolute mind control, freakish. You can bet they didn't want even volunteer "eyes on". :(

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on January 15, 2019, 06:31:09 PM

"Such as it is, the press has become the greatest power within the Western World, more powerful than the legislature, the executive and judiciary. One would like to ask; by whom has it been elected and to whom is it responsible?"  - Solzhenitsyn (attribution, I think, in his most recent book that was banned from being published in English Two Hundred Years Together but I could be wrong.)

Taaroa

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 15, 2019, 06:44:34 PM
Sky is Murdoch-owned still, yes? So how liberal were they?
Used to be just straight news reporting 24/7 for Australia and NZ, then they dropped the NZ part, and now from about 6pm to midnight it's more your American style political commentators.

Can't forget though that Murdoch is Australian and got his start there.

Metron2267

Tnx, helps to have the local perspective on this.

albrecht

Quote from: Taaroa on January 15, 2019, 06:50:44 PM
Used to be just straight news reporting 24/7 for Australia and NZ, then they dropped the NZ part, and now from about 6pm to midnight it's more your American style political commentators.

Can't forget though that Murdoch is Australian and got his start there.
I think he was most pragmatic and no particular allegiance to a particular political view or national allegiance but saw opportunities where markets weren't being served (so in the USA it was conservatives or, back then just "normal" people since the media was so much pure Democrat and lefty.)  He just wanted to make money and ensure the wealthy are protected and capital can flow freely across borders. This is not indicative of a "left" or "right" position, on this they all tend to agree.

Metron2267

I tend to agree, in fact I bet Britain's Sky is resolutely left.

Taaroa

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2019, 06:59:06 PM
I think he was most pragmatic and no particular allegiance to a particular political view or national allegiance but saw opportunities where markets weren't being served (so in the USA it was conservatives or, back then just "normal" people since the media was so much pure Democrat and lefty.)  He just wanted to make money and ensure the wealthy are protected and capital can flow freely across borders. This is not indicative of a "left" or "right" position, on this they all tend to agree.
He swings his weight around a bit more in Australia (eg funding certain candidates or their opponents) but for the channels themselves you're probably right.

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 15, 2019, 07:06:59 PM
I tend to agree, in fact I bet Britain's Sky is resolutely left.

From what I've seen of it, it's more news based and balanced but full of fluff pieces.

albrecht

Quote from: Taaroa on January 15, 2019, 07:18:35 PM
He swings his weight around a bit more in Australia (eg funding certain candidates or their opponents) but for the channels themselves you're probably right.

From what I've seen of it, it's more news based and balanced but full of fluff pieces.
He supported Clinton here once time. Didn't he take US citizenship at some point?  These folks consider themselves above country or nations, like many multi-national companies do. Whatever is in their financial interests, pet projects, or personal tax reasoning. Though there are some with deeper motives, I think.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rupert-murdoch-loves-hillary-clinton/

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: WeinerInHand on January 15, 2019, 12:46:00 PM
Rubbing a little girls tits is a nothingburger?

It looks more like a Big Mac, a Whopper, and a Triple. I've seen less hand movement during a breast exam at the Mayo (for the nothing-burger) Clinic.

Jackstar

Provide jpgs or 45k hamberders flown in from Chicago.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Jackstar on January 15, 2019, 07:45:16 PM
Provide jpgs or 45k hamberders flown in from Chicago.

That's a fair point. It might be fake footage of a crisis hand model.

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2019, 07:24:29 PM
He supported Clinton here once time. Didn't he take US citizenship at some point?  These folks consider themselves above country or nations, like many multi-national companies do. Whatever is in their financial interests, pet projects, or personal tax reasoning. Though there are some with deeper motives, I think.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rupert-murdoch-loves-hillary-clinton/

666 deep - yes.

WeinerInHand

Democrat idol, Margaret Sanger, would be very upset with her party for letting all of those little brown babies cross the border and destroy her hard work.

WeinerInHand

"If it saves just one child's life..."

Gd5150

Quote from: WeinerInHand on January 16, 2019, 12:09:51 PM
"If it saves just one child's life..."

What’s more amazing is closing just 15% of non essential departments means the end of the world. Who knew.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 16, 2019, 12:16:00 PM
What’s more amazing is closing just 15% of non essential departments means the end of the world. Who knew.

Eliminate the non-essential/build the wall.
Two birds/one scone! 😀

Metron2267

And what say we pull back and let the rest of the world handle shit on THEIR turf?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/map-shows-places-world-where-us-military-operates-180970997/
This Map Shows Where in the World the U.S. Military Is Combatting Terrorism
The infographic reveals for the first time that the U.S. is now operating in 40 percent of the world’s nations

albrecht

You know it is bad when even the NYTimes reports on "them"

Metron2267

:(

MOTS