• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Documentaries

Started by Xenopherus, September 06, 2011, 08:14:20 PM

Laurakinch

Quote from: Seraphim27 on March 10, 2014, 08:28:16 AM
I really want to know what happened to them. I spent too much time last night Googling this film, the director and those women, looking for a "where are they now" kind of update. Maybe I'll email the director.

Thank you for suggesting SnagFilms. I wasn't aware of that site, I'm embarrassed to say, but I'm really glad I know about it now.

I'm on another bleak documentary kick. They are the equivalent of the type of magazine piece I'd love to write someday, as opposed to my last ultra-compelling local newspaper assignment, "52 Feral Felines Get Spayed." (LOOK OUT, PULITZER PRIZE! HERE I COME! :D )
I loved this one too & I was also frustrated for the lack of info online about these two. I felt sorry for the mother but wanted to smack her at the same time. I did read the daughter liked the doc, saying she didn't realize how funny she was. A textbook narcissist.

Another doc about a delusional woman, only rich instead of poor…"The Queen of Versailles"  If you haven't seen it yet YOU MUST! it's streaming on Netflix

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Laurakinch on March 10, 2014, 07:33:28 PM

Another doc about a delusional woman, only rich instead of poor…"The Queen of Versailles"  If you haven't seen it yet YOU MUST! it's streaming on Netflix

I forgot about that one. It's a really good one too.

Foodlion

Quote from: Laurakinch on March 10, 2014, 07:33:28 PM
I loved this one too & I was also frustrated for the lack of info online about these two. I felt sorry for the mother but wanted to smack her at the same time. I did read the daughter liked the doc, saying she didn't realize how funny she was. A textbook narcissist.

I think what made that documentary so great was at first she was expected to be this overboard bimbo model that was impossible to relate to.
By the time it was over I really liked her, and even felt sorry for her. As hard as that may seem, I can see that she really loves her husband and she is a genuinely good person inside and out.
Maybe it came off differently to others but I ended up watching that twice and still believe so.
Her husband on the other hand is in love with success.

I only wish they had made a follow up on it.

Foodlion

Quote from: HorrorRetro on January 04, 2014, 11:17:38 AM

Witch Hunt is one of my favorite documentaries. It infuriates me that people's lives were destroyed by the "justice system" that bought into all this Satanic ritualistic daycare abuse garbage.  KQED Truly CA - WITCH HUNT - Episode 902

The Good Life is a Danish doc. It's a window into the lives of a mother and daughter who refuse to see reality and live within their means.  http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/the_good_life

Snag Films has a large library of documentaries. http://www.snagfilms.com/channel/documentary/
Just watched the Witch hunt. Great documentary. I think that DA Ed Jangels should sit in prison for 1,000 years and think about much he screwed over those people. Give the Social workers and the detectives 500 years a piece as well. Lies and withholding evidence.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Foodlion on March 28, 2014, 09:40:38 PM
Just watched the Witch hunt. Great documentary. I think that DA Ed Jangels should sit in prison for 1,000 years and think about much he screwed over those people. Give the Social workers and the detectives 500 years a piece as well. Lies and withholding evidence.

Yes, it was a travesty. It's disgusting that many involved still claim they did nothing wrong in prosecuting these people.  >:(

Laurakinch

There's a good one streaming on Netflix:  talhotblond

It's a true crime story about an online love triangle. There's a twist in the last half of the doc I didn't see coming at all.  Left me stunned.

There is a curious doc about "bronies" on Netflix:  guys who are WAY into My Little Pony.

Zoo

Pandora's Promise
pandoraspromise.com !!1

zeebo

Quote from: West of the Rockies on April 23, 2014, 08:55:46 AM
There is a curious doc about "bronies" on Netflix:  guys who are WAY into My Little Pony.

If I were dictator this would be in my top five things I'd ban my first day.

You know, yeah, some of the dudes in the doc were a little odd, but they were harmless enough and seemed to be getting pretty beat-over their interest.  I guess I'm a bit more live and let live about it....

MV/Liberace!

Lovely thread. I recommend anything posted by Vice on YouTube.

eddie dean

I just watched the Errol Morris doc film called "Tabloid ". http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabloid_(film)
It's similar to the doc film "The woman who wasn't there"

It's about Joyce McKinney and her infatuation with a Morman man in the late 70's. She follows him to the UK and kidnaps and rapes him. The press reported on the story and dug up a bunch of dirt on her. The story got really strange and her insane behavior and lies only fueled the tabloids coverage.

McKinney is a  totally diluted woman. She is a pathological liar and tries to create as much drama around her as she can. Then she plays the 'poor little southern girl' sympathy card.

She sued E. Morris and the producers of Tabloid, because she didn't like how the doc films portrays her as totally unbelievable and crazy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/errol-morris-tabloid-lawsuit-365437?page=show

One of the many bullshit allegations she made about signing the films release form:

Quote....McKinney also claims that she was tricked into appearing in the film. Those claims were subject to demurrers this summer.
McKinney did in fact sign a release for Tabloid, presented to her by producer and co-defendant Mark Lipson. The details of how and why McKinney signed her consent to be in the movie are highly unusual, and Lipson's attorney says it's all untrue.

Allegedly, after her interview was finished in September 2009, she refused to sign the first version of the release. So Lipson purportedly signed it himself under her name to show her how easy it was. Still, she refused.

Then, months later, in March 2010, Lipson allegedly broke into her home with a new release form and said if she did not sign the paper, her dog would die.
McKinney, who claims she is partially blind, says she was exhausted and didn't have time to get her glasses, and as Lipson allegedly stabbed her hand with the pen and yelled, "Sign it! Sign it, or the dog will die," she complied.

But this doesn't count, McKinney now says.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: eddie dean on May 18, 2014, 01:30:15 PM
I just watched the Errol Morris doc film called "Tabloid ". http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabloid_(film)
It's similar to the doc film "The woman who wasn't there"

It's about Joyce McKinney and her infatuation with a Morman man in the late 70's. She follows him to the UK and kidnaps and rapes him. The press reported on the story and dug up a bunch of dirt on her. The story got really strange and her insane behavior and lies only fueled the tabloids coverage.

McKinney is a  totally diluted woman. She is a pathological liar and tries to create as much drama around her as she can. Then she plays the 'poor little southern girl' sympathy card.

She sued E. Morris and the producers of Tabloid, because she didn't like how the doc films portrays her as totally unbelievable and crazy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/errol-morris-tabloid-lawsuit-365437?page=show

I saw that sometime last year. Really bizarre. I love that documentaries are so widely available these days. They really highlight some strange stuff.

George Drooly

http://youtu.be/-b6h0lsiQcw

Tony Kaye's Lake of Fire. Greatest American doc of the last 30 years. Profoundly empathetic and moving. Being human is difficult.

area51drone

Anyone who has not watched this 9/11 video should do so.  It's not a truther video, it's just what went on from the firefighter's perspective. 

9/11 - inside north tower

Jackstar

Quote from: area51drone on May 19, 2014, 01:05:40 AM
Anyone who has not watched this 9/11 video should do so.  It's not a truther video, it's just what went on from the firefighter's perspective. 

9/11 - inside north tower

Where are the videos from the firefighters at The Pentagon? lol, lol, 1000x lol.

area51drone

If there were two brothers filming a rookie firefighter in the area, maybe there would have been.  But I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone would bother filming firefighters in that area.    It's a good documentary.   On the surface, there are many things that point to conspiracy around 9/11.   But the more I watch about videos about it, especially ones that have raw footage, the more I believe it is not a conspiracy. 

albrecht

Quote from: area51drone on May 20, 2014, 08:05:24 AM
If there were two brothers filming a rookie firefighter in the area, maybe there would have been.  But I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone would bother filming firefighters in that area.    It's a good documentary.   On the surface, there are many things that point to conspiracy around 9/11.   But the more I watch about videos about it, especially ones that have raw footage, the more I believe it is not a conspiracy.
It clearly was a conspiracy. Even the government official theory says it was. The only issue was it a conspiracy between those hijackers only or did it involved other countries/people or even those in our country.

Jackstar

Quote from: area51drone on May 20, 2014, 08:05:24 AM
But I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone would bother filming firefighters in that area.

QuoteI believe it is not a conspiracy.
How much do they pay you?  ::)

area51drone

Quote from: Jackstar on May 20, 2014, 01:09:17 PM
How much do they pay you?  ::)

I'm not quite following.   Because they caught Rumsfeld walking by the scene?

Not much survives.

Plane path takes out light poles as seen by people other than pentagon employees

There was some plane wreckage.   You might say that wasn't enough, but where were all the plane parts in NY?   Look at photo #1 above again.

Jackstar

Quote from: area51drone on May 20, 2014, 01:33:46 PM
Because they caught Rumsfeld walking by the scene?

Rumsfeld could not be located during the early minutes of the event. Some air defense protocol required Rumsfeld to be contacted in order for some interception order to be valid; they couldn't get Rumsfeld on the phone. Rumsfeld claimed that he didn't remember where he was when they were trying to get him on the phone.

Later, pictures surfaced of Rumsfeld scurrying around the Pentagon's lawn, like an eager Cub Scout trying to help the adults light the morning campfire. By his own stated admission, he didn't remember being there.

There are a limited number of explanations that fit these known, evidenced facts. Also: there are more facts.

Quotethere was some plane wreckage.

Cruise missles have wings. Passenger planes have luggage.

eddie dean

Quote from: Jackstar on May 20, 2014, 01:49:46 PM

.. Passenger planes have luggage.

The luggage was most likely incinerated.

b_dubb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2945784/

I thought this was interesting.  The theory seems solid and grounded in actual ballistic evidence.

Jackstar

I actually haven't seen that one yet, thanks! My mother loves this shit.

area51drone

Quote from: Jackstar on May 20, 2014, 02:43:52 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/26/us/new-york-9-11-plane-part/

??   You don't deny that two planes actually hit the towers do you?    Watch that documentary I posted.  These guys hardly found ANY bodies, and there were thousands of people in those towers.   One guy said the only office part he found was a small chunk of the dialpad of a phone, and you know there were desks, phones and plenty of other office equipment.    I don't think any of these firefighters had anything to do with any conspiracies.

Jackstar

Quote from: area51drone on May 20, 2014, 07:38:19 PM
??   You don't deny that two planes actually hit the towers do you?    Watch that documentary I posted.  These guys hardly found ANY bodies, and there were thousands of people in those towers.   One guy said the only office part he found was a small chunk of the dialpad of a phone, and you know there were desks, phones and plenty of other office equipment.    I don't think any of these firefighters had anything to do with any conspiracies.

QuoteIn the years since, a number of pieces of debris as well as human remains have been discovered in Lower Manhattan.
Even the Daily Fail concurs on this point in their article:

QuoteSmall artifacts, like countless cell phones and even tinier human remains continue to be uncovered.
Meanwhile... at the Pentagon... they don't find Jack or squat. How do you accept these facts at face value without bursting into peals of laughter? What, is it still too soon?

albrecht

Speaking of a more Art Bell-era topic. Has anyone seen that TWA-800 documentary that came out last year? I never saw it advertised for any theater or on tv in my area and never been able to find online even in torrents. Curious if it solved any questions or just raised more and on the production quality.