• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Documentaries

Started by Xenopherus, September 06, 2011, 08:14:20 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 28, 2019, 06:20:19 PM
I generally have mixed feelings about colorization, but what i saw in this preview moved me.  Thanks for recommending it.

same for me.  this, however, struck me as something more than mere colorization, as i think you'll agree when you watch it.  i was just transfixed the entire time.  when it was over, i felt like i could have kept watching another eight hours.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ItsOver on May 28, 2019, 05:44:24 PM
It's on my list.  Just saw "Apollo 11" today.  Tremendous.

i saw that one last week.  another great pick.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 28, 2019, 04:29:11 PM
Every town here has its own war memorial with the names listed of all the people killed in the Great War, as it was called then.

the ww1 memorial in DC only recently was given federal memorial status.  it was run down and begging for graffiti.  ww1 is very much a forgotten war here, which i find odd since it's recent enough for me to have personally known a ww1 vet (muh grandpa vandeven).

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 28, 2019, 04:29:11 PM
If there isn't a documentary thread there ought to be.

there were a couple of them, actually.  i've merged it all to this thread.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: zeebo on December 29, 2013, 12:07:11 AM

And, super-dorky, but fun and strangely compelling - The King of Kong (2007) about the battle for the highest Donkey Kong score.

anyone who hasn't seen the king of kong... you've got to check that out.  it's in my top ten favorite documentary list.

Quote from: Liberace! on May 29, 2019, 12:17:55 AM
anyone who hasn't seen the king of kong... you've got to check that out.  it's in my top ten favorite documentary list.

The King of Kong  something else.   Definitely a must see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zhMlFOyZvQ

SredniVashtar

Looks like the King of Kong is another one to add to an ever lengthening list. I'm currently working my way through the Ken Burns series on Vietnam, with each episode coming in at around two hours, so it's taking me a while.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 29, 2019, 07:49:07 AM
Looks like the King of Kong is another one to add to an ever lengthening list. I'm currently working my way through the Ken Burns series on Vietnam, with each episode coming in at around two hours, so it's taking me a while.

This is the next one on my list.   Cantankerous old WWII vet returns to Tarawa 60+ years later, to see if he can get the garbage that covers the beach where the Marines landed cleaned up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CUYwHsbb8

WOTR

Quote from: Liberace! on May 28, 2019, 09:42:25 AM
I watched this last night.  I recommend you do the same.  The restorative work done on 100+ year old film just shocked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds

One of the few movies that I had meant to see in the theater (and then I forgot.)

ItsOver

Not quite a documentary, but I've caught several episodes of HBO's mini-series "Chernobyl." Quite gritty, grim, and sobering, but also quite good.  Good enough, I may get the DVD's when they're available.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ItsOver on May 29, 2019, 07:30:05 PM
Not quite a documentary, but I've caught several episodes of HBO's mini-series "Chernobyl."

in muh download queue.  thx.

Taaroa

If you enjoy documentaries on fraud, Enron: the Smartest Guys in the Room and The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley aren't bad.

Not quite a documentary, but I've caught several episodes of HBO's mini-series "Chernobyl." Quite gritty, grim, and sobering, but also quite good.  Good enough, I may get the DVD's when they're available.

More of a drama really, with some things changed about for the series (eg the female nuclear physicist character is an amalgamation of different people). It's good - only thing that bothers me is how everyone has a British accent.

ItsOver

Quote from: Taaroa on May 30, 2019, 09:53:53 AM
If you enjoy documentaries on fraud, Enron: the Smartest Guys in the Room and The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley aren't bad.

More of a drama really, with some things changed about for the series (eg the female nuclear physicist character is an amalgamation of different people). It's good - only thing that bothers me is how everyone has a British accent.
That's just to keep Pud happy.  Laura at least provides premium cable to his pit in the dungeon.  The Wi-Fi is a bit intermittent, though.

SredniVashtar

It must make you feel even smaller and more inferior than you already are.

Taaroa

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 30, 2019, 10:22:44 AM
It must make you feel even smaller and more inferior than you already are.

No, I just don't suddenly like hearing a scouse accent coming from someone meant to be a bloody Ukrainian liquidator.

Kidnostad3

Quite well done except that the writers had to work in the obligatory feminist angle that adds nothing to the story, i.e. female PHD whose valuable input was stifled by mysoginist white males and who is identified in the background as a composite character.  (Can we all say "hackneyed extraneous pandering  bullshit?")  Haven't seen all episodes yet but I will be surprised if a gay or lesbian hero doesn't emerge. 

Lilith

Thank You!  I thought it was very good!

ItsOver

Quote from: brig on May 30, 2019, 03:38:54 PM
Thank You!  I thought it was very good!
You're welcome, Brig.  Episode 4 should come with a big WARNING for animal lovers and cat ladies.

Episode 4, “The Happiness of All Mankind,” aka the episode all about shooting dogs and, heaven forbid, cats.

https://decider.com/2019/05/29/chernobyl-episode-4-dogs/

Lilith

Quote from: ItsOver on May 30, 2019, 04:03:16 PM
You're welcome, Brig.  Episode 4 should come with a big WARNING for animal lovers and cat ladies.

Episode 4, “The Happiness of All Mankind,” aka the episode all about shooting dogs and, heaven forbid, cats.

https://decider.com/2019/05/29/chernobyl-episode-4-dogs/

I'll admit, a shed a few tears more than once, but I'll probably watch it again. 

MV/Liberace!

...only thing that bothers me is how everyone has a British accent.

haha, yeah, i've had trouble getting over that, too.  it kinda takes you out of the show when one of the characters walks past a radio as it's pumping out full blown russian.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 30, 2019, 11:19:23 AM
Quite well done except that the writers had to work in the obligatory feminist angle that adds nothing to the story, i.e. female PHD whose valuable input was stifled by mysoginist white males and who is identified in the background as a composite character.  (Can we all say "hackneyed extraneous pandering  bullshit?")  Haven't seen all episodes yet but I will be surprised if a gay or lesbian hero doesn't emerge.

conveniently, the writers made not a single woman responsible for the fucking thing blowing up.

WOTR

Quote from: Liberace! on May 28, 2019, 09:42:25 AM
I watched this last night.  I recommend you do the same.  The restorative work done on 100+ year old film just shocked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds
Thanks again for the reminder. Just finished the film, and it was really well put together. Nice to see the experience stressed over the technology.

It was also very interesting to hear the impression of the German soldiers and the prisoners. Prisoners going on litter duty, sitting down and talking with them. It was interesting to hear, and stands in stark contrast to how you would imagine modern war on the other continents playing out...

All in all, an amazing effort at restoration.

WOTR

I had watched Chernobyl 3828 awhile back. It is in Russian, but this one has English subtitles. Well done documentary with some very nice historical footage and a fair perspective. The film gives credit to the workers, but avoids making them out to be heroes (noting that most had no idea what they were doing or the danger they faced.) It also is critical of the Soviet government and the problems their secrecy caused (broken robots among others.)

That said, it is only a half hour- but most of the footage shows the immediate aftermath...

*On a side note, 3828 is the title because that is the number of people who passed through the doors to the roof of the building and helped clear the worst of the contamination...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV45AFCwcUc

"Sir the reactor's exploded!"

"Yoe 'avin a laff inya? Right get it sote-id or ill 'avya"

MV/Liberace!

In Chernobyl, they send three guys into the basement, trudging through chest high radioactive water in complete darkness, to drain the water tanks so they can prevent a second explosion that'll take out Eastern Europe.  The three men are told they'll get "a yearly stipend of 400 rubles." 

That converts to $30.77 in today's US dollars.

Now get down there and drain those tanks!!

Taaroa

Quote from: Liberace! on June 11, 2019, 07:59:03 AM
In Chernobyl, they send three guys into the basement, trudging through chest high radioactive water in complete darkness, to drain the water tanks so they can prevent a second explosion that'll take out Eastern Europe.  The three men are told they'll get "a yearly stipend of 400 rubles." 

That converts to $30.77 in today's US dollars.

Now get down there and drain those tanks!!

Add into this that the government promising these extra payments and care doesn't exist anymore and has been replaced by 15 different ones (some actively hostile to those resettled in their lands during the USSR) who probably don't even pay those 400RUB, you can see that the liquidators really haven't been treated well following the disaster.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Taaroa on June 11, 2019, 08:28:09 AM
Add into this that the government promising these extra payments and care doesn't exist anymore...

Jesus.  I hadn't even thought about that aspect.

heh heh, the internet is great.

I remember reading Elena Filatova's eerie Kiddofspeed website.  It could be considered unremarkable by today's standards, but this was before everybody had their own blog/youtube channel and tourists weren't visiting Chernobyl.