• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Avi

Wow! Freddie Mercury would be 65? Sheesh, I am an old fart, yes, an old fart (why I am talking like Yoda, I do not know).

With the new semester hot upon me, my perky voice students are all picking songs for their juries. Once again, I will hear the great songs of Creation horribly defiled as I try to guide these ingenues to greatness. Why must everyone sing Lascia Ch'io Pianga? Here is a beautiful, subtle rendition, truly largo, the likes of which I'm unlikely to hear:

Suzie LeBlanc - Lascia ch'io pianga

And then, there is the Morgen brigade (here performed definitively by a true Diva):

Jessye Norman - R.Strauss - Morgen

One bright spot is one of my students who wants to focus on French Repertoire (French art songs have an amazing spirituality):

Diana Damrau - Si mes vers avaient des ailes

Quote from: Avi on October 07, 2011, 01:00:40 AM
It's so worth it to click this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYN8ccAi2lU&feature=related

Of course, I loved it.  Of course, I listened to more.  Of course, I'm late getting back to work from lunch.  At least I'll have some good tunes in my head... :)     
Thanks Avi!   :-*

Avi

Some of their songs are NSFW, The Widow, in particular - but even that, they make sound angelic.

There was some disparagement recently of a woman on C2C with a deep voice, but contraltos are amazing, I think (C2C guests, not so much).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbcKO92OGNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVFpMLE6WIo

one of the songs heard on the TWR stream. it's a fan vid of the tune, but it's a good fan vid IMHO... and i am the most humble person i know.  8)

Scissor Sisters - Tits on the Radio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWKlwRaBJsI

Avi

This song makes me cry:

Folkloren Hor "Filip Kutev" (part II)

(A young girl is praying to G-d).

Please god give me eyes of a dove,
please god give me wings of a falcon,
so I can fly over Dunav river,
so I can find a boy that I love.

And god gave her wings of a falcon.
And she found a boy that she loves.

Malka moma si se Bogu moli:
Day mi , Boże , oczi Golwbowi,
Day mi, Boże , kriltsa sokolovi,
Da si vozna otvad beli Dunav,
Da ci najda momcze spored mene,

Avi

Is there anything on earth like fado? An art form that lets men have a small peek into the soul of a woman.

Mariza @ David Letterman's Show
She scared the crap out of Dave, didn't she?

Dulce Pontes - Lagrima

For merely a tear from you, I would let myself be killed...

Avi

Iranian Israeli, Din Din Aviv:

Din Din Aviv - Sodotai (Co-written with Yael Naim!)

Sodotai

He whispers my secrets
He hears my prayers
He looks in my eyes, and knows
Appearing in dreams, he creates my form
The image of my soul, he creates in me
Another world is revealed within
Woven, it is calling to me.

I walk up the pathway
To the king of life
{To say} That we’re still here

He whispers my secrets
He hears my prayers
He weaves my bones
He walks inside of me
He calls my soul
He hears me, as I am
He sees the raging soul within

Who will be going?
Toward where does she dream?
Upwards, until his heart will beat with mine

How good will I yet feel?

I see my image within me
I hear my soul
I whisper my prayer {and} I see
I call to my soul within
The secret of my soul is revealed
{For myself} I buy my faith

I know
I hear
There within my heart

How good will I yet feel?

Silent

Fade to Black - Igor Presnyakov

If I could choose one superpower this would be on my short list.

Avi

Quote from: Silent on November 18, 2011, 12:31:54 AM
If I could choose one superpower this would be on my short list.

Nice!

Frys Girl

I have always loved hip-hop since I immigrated to this country. Imagine my surprise when I found out  as a teenager that my family back in Iran loved it too. I was so glad it was taking over the world. There are some really good Iranian MCs right now, and I love that I can check them out on youtube. Some of them are political, and even when I don't agree with the messages, I can still appreciate the lyrics and the rhymes. Hip-hop has that power. Mind you, I also love classical music, and my favorite composer is Mahler, followed by Shostakovich.

I'm really disappointed with the industry right now, but there are lots of good MCs out there, still. The union of poetry and beats is something I haven't found in rock, another favorite of mine. I love funny rhymes and serious ones too. Hip-hop is just fucking awesome. I even love gangster rap, not because I think it glorifies a lifestyle, but because it tells a story about one.

I'm always amazed at the ignorant statements by people who think that hip-hop makes people do bad things or turns kids into rotten adults. I guess it's easy to blame the music rather than look at the bigger picture and figure out the real problem.

Frys Girl

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on November 18, 2011, 01:08:03 PM
Soundgarden - Head Down
Hey General,

What do you think of Chris Cornell's new album? Is it worth a listen? I got his last solo and I was kinda disappointed. I loved CC in Soundgarden and Audioslave.

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 27, 2011, 07:11:08 AM
Hey General,

What do you think of Chris Cornell's new album? Is it worth a listen? I got his last solo and I was kinda disappointed. I loved CC in Soundgarden and Audioslave.
I really haven't had the oppurtunity to check it out yet Frys Girl. I do remember hearing discussed that his voice sounds a bit better and not as blown out. If that's even possible  :o SuperUnknown mixed with copius amounts of drugs and reality was something special  :-X Well, so were the 90s for that matter.
I never really got into any Cornell's projects after Soundgarden. Not that I have anything against them, mind you. They are good bands in my opinion, but they'll never have the following/loyalty/on-air radio time .. that he did back when SoundGarden was in it's prime.

My Wave-Soundgarden(W/lyrics)

WTF ever happened to good music? These young kids nowadays, I feel sorry for them. Lady GuhhhGaww, Justin Bieber...I would have fucking shot myself had I been born into this current generation.

"Inama Nushif" is a track from the soundtrack to the 2003 Sci Fi Channel mini-series Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. It is sung entirely in the fictional Fremen language by Azam Ali. I picked a vid with lyrics because i like them.

Children of Dune - Inama Nushif (lyrics)

Avi

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on November 29, 2011, 04:54:58 AM
"Inama Nushif" is a track from the soundtrack to the 2003 Sci Fi Channel mini-series Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. It is sung entirely in the fictional Fremen language by Azam Ali. I picked a vid with lyrics because i like them.

It's very reminiscent of Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for The Gladiator:

Gladiator Soundtrack - 17 - Now We Are Free

Avi

Mary Dillon, a winner of the Gaelic Mod, singing Andy M. Stewart's Where are you?

Déanta - Where Are You?

OK, one more:

The Lakes of Pontchartrain- Deanta

And she has a sister:

Cara Dillon - The Lark in the Clear Air

BobGrau

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on December 18, 2011, 01:43:38 AM
so, guess what happened to me tonight...

You farted while (forgive me, whilst) driving? You should have done the mushrooms, instead? You're involved with Loudon's son, Rufus? I have absolutely no idea. Do tell!