• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 05, 2012, 12:27:29 AM
    I've read that, and I do consider him probably most "damaged" of the acid-casualties of the era because his decline was irreversible, pretty much wiped out in every sense by 1971. That he made it to 60 is incredible. That he didn't end up like Nick Drake(dead young) is kind of amazing.

I did an enormous amount of psilocybin in my formative years. I've since had a long battle with mental illness that I was always fearful was the result of all those hallucinogens, like they permanently damaged me beyond repair. Somehow got beyond that though and I now think I turned out okay. Actually think I benefited from it in various ways that are invaluable, though that's probably a bunch of delusional bull.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on December 05, 2012, 01:11:14 AM
I did an enormous amount of psilocybin in my formative years. I've since had a long battle with mental illness that I was always fearful was the result of all those hallucinogens, like they permanently damaged me beyond repair. Somehow got beyond that though and I now think I turned out okay. Actually think I benefited from it in various ways that are invaluable, though that's probably a bunch of delusional bull.

That's the benefit of genetic mental illness, I was fairly certain by the time I was 7 that I was screwy, so experimenting with mind-altering substances(starting at age 12) was almost a like when a penalty flag is thrown and it's clearly defensive pass interference, so the QB is free to attempt any pass he wants. It's a horrible analogy, but I'm not writing questions for the SAT. Maybe those drugs did affect me.

But it's tough to predict. Look at Black Sabbath. Ozzy and Bill Ward were essentially partners in crime from 1969 to 1978 in hard living, ingesting all types of illicit substances...Ozzy was clearly affected by his dabblings, where Bill Ward wasn't nearly as damaged...mentally, at least- physically he's a wreck.

I recently stumbled onto electroswing, a mashup of swing music and electronica. It's hard for me to express why, but they somehow manage to go together like a fine wine (from a box, of course).

Two of my favorites:

http://youtu.be/_sBZdSHAIZI

http://youtu.be/tJFrqOMgvBI

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 05, 2012, 02:15:22 AMlike when a penalty flag is thrown and it's clearly defensive pass interference, so the QB is free to attempt any pass he wants. It's a horrible analogy, but I'm not writing questions for the SAT. Maybe those drugs did affect me.

It's lost on me. I know less about sports than I do about life in the Mariana Trench. I was given a shot glass of vodka with a shroom cap floating in it when I was around 13 or so. My oldest brother considered me a lab rat of sorts.

McPhallus

Quote from: analog kid on December 05, 2012, 12:18:04 AM
To be fair, Sid was drugged continually for an extended period. He lived in some sort of artist community dwelling and everyone there would routinely slip hallucinogens into his drinks. He had his brain permanently fried by prankster frat boys.

He was also addicted to a very nasty painkiller which he would mix with brylcream and mix into his hair.  By the time he got out of the mental institutions (early 80s), the royalties from the early Floyd albums were enough that he could live comfortably for the rest of his life after moving back into his childhood home.  Plus he had family nearby to take care of him.  Had his circumstances been different and he ended up on the streets, his life would've likely been much shorter.

I heard that in his later years he spent some of his time writing book manuscripts that he destroyed immediately on completion.

ChewMouse

Quote from: McPhallus on December 05, 2012, 04:35:25 PM
He was also addicted to a very nasty painkiller which he would mix with brylcream and mix into his hair.  By the time he got out of the mental institutions (early 80s), the royalties from the early Floyd albums were enough that he could live comfortably for the rest of his life after moving back into his childhood home.  Plus he had family nearby to take care of him.  Had his circumstances been different and he ended up on the streets, his life would've likely been much shorter.

I heard that in his later years he spent some of his time writing book manuscripts that he destroyed immediately on completion.
Darn it, I already posted my vintage ad for methaqualone (Quaalude). It was a heavy barbituate, not a painkiller...although I suppose it could have a round-about painkilling effect...

Sardondi

Quote from: ChewMouse on December 05, 2012, 05:21:01 PM
Darn it, I already posted my vintage ad for methaqualone (Quaalude). It was a heavy barbituate, not a painkiller...although I suppose it could have a round-about painkilling effect...

Ah, yes, the days of "Lemon 714" t-shirts and people who really walked like zombies. Methaqualone, or quaalude (from whence came The Tubes' singer's name), was powerful stuff. I still remember the night in 1978 in which two road-whores dived into a bar's beer cooler in a desperate search for the half-a-'lude one drunkenly dropped into it. These two wailing, jeans-clad women were upside down in the cooler, with just their wriggling legs showing as they scrambled to get the little bit of chemical oblivion still possibly lurking an the bottom. One girl was tall and very blond Brit who put on an impromptu girl-girl with a stripper a few weeks later at a birthday party. And the other girl was an emotional slow-motion wreck, whom I came across again some months later at yet another party as she cried in a bedroom in which, she finally got out that she had just been the central attraction in a train of, uh, uncertain acquiescence. I finally caught on that they and their circle were not people I wanted to hang with. So after I slept with the Brit at a toga party a few weeks after that I didn't see them again.

Sardondi

Quote from: McPhallus on December 06, 2012, 03:20:30 PM
CAD! :)

I sometimes cringe at the actions of the young Sardondi.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on December 06, 2012, 03:38:43 PM
I sometimes cringe at the actions of the young Sardondi.

I do too. At mine, I wince.

McPhallus

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 06, 2012, 06:17:06 PM
I do too. At mine, I wince.

The youthful McPhallus is largely unrecognizable to me.  For this I am grateful.  At least now I can say I'm different.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on December 06, 2012, 06:37:54 PM
The youthful McPhallus is largely unrecognizable to me.  For this I am grateful.  At least now I can say I'm different.
Coyle was never young. But I've been consistently embarrassed by my behavior since at least 1981.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: McPhallus on December 06, 2012, 06:37:54 PM

I sat in the back of a few cruisers. I managed to stay out of jail and prison. I never saw a cage. I see barbed wire in my Police State future, though.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 06, 2012, 07:07:25 PM
      Coyle was never young. But I've been consistently embarrassed by my behavior since at least 1981.

What took place in 1981? Was there a mishap at your wedding? ;)

analog kid

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 06, 2012, 07:16:25 PM
What took place in 1981? Was there a mishap at your wedding? ;)

I'm incredibly drunk on vodka sunrises (if there is such a thing), but I'd like to chime in and say that Mr Coyle is one of only a handful of known cases of super memory in the wotrld. I'm going to guess that the memories he's referring to are wisps in the wind to you and me, but to someone with absolute recall, insignificant things have bigger weight. That is all.

Off topic, but I fell off of a ladder from an attic onto concrete. Miraculously didn't break my neck, but I'm pretty sure old guys are supposed to fall off of ladders occasionally.

I wasted my college life on keggars till my senior year.I discovered pot .I spent most of my college taking History and anything else that took nothing but reading to be ready for essay tests.I arraged classes so I could be up all night hagig out at an MG dealer working o a couple MG's the garage etered i Sebring 12 hour ad Daytona 24 hour races.I did this for 3 years or 6 races.After college I worked for  a 'shopper tabloid and local scene magazine' as a photographer.Then went to law school for one term flunked out then bummed around for a couple months discovering,LSD,Mescaline,Peyote,Amphetamine.Then got a job as a file clerk,librarian,gofor at an engineering firm.Then became one of the enginneer's chauffer for several years.By the mid 70's I was laid off and had become a yoga teacher,did classes,a cable TV show and was a founder with others of a very successful and still existing natural food co-op.While being a yogi ,I discovered that ladies liked to sleep with the teacher ad had many showing up  .I was rather naieve at the time being a rather shy late 'bloomer' .I gave up being the yogi for  groups when I had a mother ad her 14 year old daughter try to seduce me in one night during a monthly coverd dish we had at my house in those days. My last LSD trip occured whe my yoga teacher and myself shared some.I went to the beach to trip on the way the ocean,bouy lights,ship lights appered while trippig.A neighbor's Great Dane Dog showed up and quite literally kept grabbing my clothes and butting me towards the house.The dog gave me a hard shove through thee door .I did a catwhell to alter the fall through the front door.Roomates and neighbor's on my sofa applauded me for my 'trick. Next morning the paper had a story of a woman that was killed 200 feet away from where I was tripping.I an reasonably sure the dog saw that occur as he was most upset with my stalling when he was pushing me towards home.That dog seemed to like to hang out with me even though he was the neighbor's dog.The dog was always getting out at night evethough it was illegal for dogs to be o the beach.He could jump an 8 foot fence without  much effort.
That was the last acid  trip. Lasting effect is that I got ito plants,horticulture and steered clear of groupie chicks.

Sardondi

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on December 06, 2012, 08:15:23 PM
I wasted my college life on keggars till my senior year.I discovered pot .I spent most of my college taking History and anything else that took nothing but reading to be ready for essay tests.I arraged classes so I could be up all night hagig out at an MG dealer working o a couple MG's the garage etered i Sebring 12 hour ad Daytona 24 hour races.I did this for 3 years or 6 races.After college I worked for  a 'shopper tabloid and local scene magazine' as a photographer.Then went to law school for one term flunked out then bummed around for a couple months discovering,LSD,Mescaline,Peyote,Amphetamine.Then got a job as a file clerk,librarian,gofor at an engineering firm.Then became one of the enginneer's chauffer for several years.By the mid 70's I was laid off and had become a yoga teacher,did classes,a cable TV show and was a founder with others of a very successful and still existing natural food co-op.While being a yogi ,I discovered that ladies liked to sleep with the teacher ad had many showing up  .I was rather naieve at the time being a rather shy late 'bloomer' .I gave up being the yogi for  groups when I had a mother ad her 14 year old daughter try to seduce me in one night during a monthly coverd dish we had at my house in those days. My last LSD trip occured whe my yoga teacher and myself shared some.I went to the beach to trip on the way the ocean,bouy lights,ship lights appered while trippig.A neighbor's Great Dane Dog showed up and quite literally kept grabbing my clothes and butting me towards the house.The dog gave me a hard shove through thee door .I did a catwhell to alter the fall through the front door.Roomates and neighbor's on my sofa applauded me for my 'trick. Next morning the paper had a story of a woman that was killed 200 feet away from where I was tripping.I an reasonably sure the dog saw that occur as he was most upset with my stalling when he was pushing me towards home.That dog seemed to like to hang out with me even though he was the neighbor's dog.The dog was always getting out at night evethough it was illegal for dogs to be o the beach.He could jump an 8 foot fence without  much effort.
That was the last acid  trip. Lasting effect is that I got ito plants,horticulture and steered clear of groupie chicks.

The Great American Novel is in that post alone. Tom McGuane, is that you?

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: analog kid on December 06, 2012, 08:04:27 PM
I'm incredibly drunk on vodka sunrises (if there is such a thing), but I'd like to chime in and say that Mr Coyle is one of only a handful of known cases of super memory in the wotrld. I'm going to guess that the memories he's referring to are wisps in the wind to you and me, but to someone with absolute recall, insignificant things have bigger weight. That is all.

Mr. Coyle knows that I was kidding. That is all.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 07, 2012, 12:45:45 AM
Mr. Coyle knows that I was kidding. That is all.

But I'm very sensitive...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on December 06, 2012, 08:04:27 PM

Off topic, but I fell off of a ladder from an attic onto concrete. Miraculously didn't break my neck, but I'm pretty sure old guys are supposed to fall off of ladders occasionally.
With help from Kevin Trudeau and his Mega Memory plan, soon everybody can have my hyperthymesia! Which would definitely lead to our extinction, because there's no recorded case of a sane individual having it.

Careful with those ladders. This is the month for falling off them, as it happened in my household last week...no injury, but I did chastise her with a "that's why you don't put up Christmas trees in No-goddamn-vember"(early Thanksgiving being the irritant). My OCD being through the roof with the clutter that comes with decorating.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 07, 2012, 01:11:33 AM
    But I'm very sensitive...

There are less crocodile tears in the Nile. I'm shocked that his lachrymose glands still work.

ETA: I'm referring to Glenn Beck. His weeping and wailing visage didn't come through for some reason.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 07, 2012, 01:21:40 AM
       With help from Kevin Trudeau and his Mega Memory plan, soon everybody can have my hyperthymesia! Which would definitely lead to our extinction, because there's no recorded case of a sane individual having it.

Careful with those ladders. This is the month for falling off them, as it happened in my household last week...no injury, but I did chastise her with a "that's why you don't put up Christmas trees in No-goddamn-vember"(early Thanksgiving being the irritant). My OCD being through the roof with the clutter that comes with decorating.

Look on the bright side. Better you than your SO, although I think that most women have hyperthymesia to some extent. I know; I'm a chauvinist pig and a misogynistic ass for mentioning that, but I'm right. Ask any man here.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 07, 2012, 01:38:08 AM
Look on the bright side. Better you than your SO, although I think that most women have hyperthymesia to some extent. I know; I'm a chauvinist pig and a misogynistic ass for mentioning that, but I'm right. Ask any man here.
I have a tough time telling because my system is so warped. Though I've noticed women seem to put more sentimental value in dates(births/anniversaries)

Look at today. December 7, to people over 40 it should immediately resonate and be synonymous with Pearl Harbor. But I'm not sure that's the case with younger people. Same for tomorrow. December 8 will always be connected to John Lennon to those of a certain age...but again, I doubt it does with younger people.

* Here's how massive the Lennon killing was. I was in kindergarten at the time(PM class) and the next day, Tuesday Dec 9, the AM class was cancelled! So many parents(most parents being boomers) woke up to the news and I guess were bummed, that only about a half dozen of the 30 kids showed up. The PM class didn't get such leeway...so were expected to be there.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 07, 2012, 02:00:51 AM
    I have a tough time telling because my system is so warped. Though I've noticed women seem to put more sentimental value in dates(births/anniversaries)

Look at today. December 7, to people over 40 it should immediately resonate and be synonymous with Pearl Harbor. But I'm not sure that's the case with younger people. Same for tomorrow. December 8 will always be connected to John Lennon to those of a certain age...but again, I doubt it does with younger people.

* Here's how massive the Lennon killing was. I was in kindergarten at the time(PM class) and the next day, Tuesday Dec 9, the AM class was cancelled! So many parents(most parents being boomers) woke up to the news and I guess were bummed, that only about a half dozen of the 30 kids showed up. The PM class didn't get such leeway...so were expected to be there.

You might be more positive than I am. I was talking about bringing up naughty things we did or said in the past. To your point, forgetting anniversaries is at the top of the list, and your wife need not have the memory of an elephant to remember that kind of faux pas. Fortunately, that's one dung heap in which I haven't stepped.

I also was in kindergarten when Lennon was murdered. I've been a Beatlemaniac since I was two, so the homicide stuck in my memory in much the same way that JFK and September 11th were seared in myriad individuals' memories. I heard the news on my oldest sister's stereo/record/eight-track tape/cassette thing that was cool in its day. I felt as sad as most of the Boomers.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 07, 2012, 01:21:40 AM

For most of my life that thought would be a terrifying prospect, but for some reason, I don't care anymore. Maybe it was 40, maybe it's the Prozac.

ACL_Put_You_Down.wmv

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 07, 2012, 03:05:55 AM

I also was in kindergarten when Lennon was murdered. I've been a Beatlemaniac since I was two, so the homicide stuck in my memory in much the same way that JFK and September 11th were seared in myriad individuals' memories. I heard the news on my oldest sister's stereo/record/eight-track tape/cassette thing that was cool in its day. I felt as sad as most of the Boomers.
I was one those who saw it announced, awkwardly, by Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football,(Dolphins 16 Pats 13 in OT) and my doo-wop listening father(who is  a boomer) was barely bothered by it. So the gravity of it didn't really hit me until the next morning when it was all over the early morning talk shows. I remember Geraldo being on Good Morning America acting like the Fifth Beatle.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on December 07, 2012, 05:31:55 AM
For most of my life that thought would be a terrifying prospect, but for some reason, I don't care anymore. Maybe it was 40, maybe it's the Prozac.

I'm still ambivalent on extinction...but the closer I get to 40, I'm leaning towards favoring it. All things must pass.

HorrorRetro

This hits home.  We have three weeks until my husband leaves Afghanistan.  Just counting down time now.

Street Dogs - "Back to the World" Brass Tacks Records

ziznak

napalm death - suffer the children
best band eva and right up the noory... erm alley

When all is done
Who shall benefit? Who is the one?
Not those who pass on
But those dictators divine waving their deceitfull wands