• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mark Levin, The Great One

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 10:28:38 AM

onan

Quote from: Fly By Night on April 19, 2011, 08:48:30 PM
"May not be" was not for the lone gun comment, it is an universal reason behind why people make  shocking statements. I think it goes well beyond saying that suggesting homicide or suicide is very wrong. And if I'm being lazy I would be interested to why you think people say things like that.

People say things like that because they neurotically believe differing opinions suggest they must be inferior. No one likes to visit the thought of inferiority. Some people are wise enough to realize one answer to a problem is not sufficient others think the opposite.

Even if we were to agree that the levin/gun statement was nothing more than shock the potential for another to believe it had merit is scary. Is that the type of debate anyone finds acceptable.

I like eggs... I don't like eggs, you should shoot yourself. Silly example but it hits the nail square on.

So hearing fanbois cheer and clap on a statement like a bullet in the head is the only way to live with you isn't shocking it is depraved.

Fly By Night

Statements like the gun one, and others like it meet the definition of shocking. It may meet other definitions as well, but shocking is one of them.

Adler tells us that everything we do we do for a reason. When people make shocking statements, they do it for money and/or publicity. As for publicity, it has us talking, so I guess it works.

shock·ing   (shkng)
adj. 1. Highly disturbing emotionally. 2. Highly offensive; indecent or distasteful. 3. Very vivid or intense in tone: shocking pink.\   

God, I can't stand Levin. If I wanted to hear over-emotional drunk callers sob about their dead dogs, I'd listen to Noory.

The General

Quote from: Jackpine Savage on May 14, 2011, 11:13:14 PM
God, I can't stand Levin. If I wanted to hear over-emotional drunk callers sob about their dead dogs, I'd listen to Noory.
Ha ha, thank you.  Exactly.

James G.

Tonight, after tuning out Conservative Radio for a year, I heard the The Mark Levin Show promo brag that he is "The George S. Patton Of Talk Radio."

What? Some guy sitting behind a microphone is some war hero? What? A disgrace to America, and a shameless insult to George S. Patton himself. Did Mr. Levin gunfight -- and defeat -- Poncho Villa's henchmen personally in the dusty streets of some Podunk Mexican town? When he was a young man as a member of the U.S. National Guard? As George S. Patton did? No! No! Levin has some nerve!

Mr. Levin is a fake and a dumb braggart that rides the coattails of great Americans and tries to fool people into his nonsense and baloney.

I know better than to ever claim to compare myself to George S. Patton.

So much for being a true American. Despite the speeches.

Up All Night

Quote from: JustOneFix on March 17, 2011, 04:08:33 PM
I can't stand to listen to Mark Levin because of his voice. I know that's shallow & superficial but that nasally whine of his is enough to make me turn off the radio and play MP3's instead.

I love Levin's voice, as well as Savage's.

It's Hannity and Limbaugh that I cannot stand to listen to for very long at all. Their speaking style just grates on me.

To sample Mark Levin in audio and video, check out this 3 hour C-CSPAN Book TV show interview from Sunday, January 5th, 2014:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/MarkLev

The General

I caught five minute's of Levin's show today.
How can anyone listen to this for any extended amount of time?
He's the most grating radio host in history.

The Grating One.

Foodlion

Quote from: The General on August 07, 2014, 04:21:35 PM

The Grating One.

Easy. Just listen to Sean Hannity for 1 minute and anything for the next hour will sound really great.

ItsOver

Quote from: Foodlion on August 07, 2014, 04:28:42 PM
Easy. Just listen to Sean Hannity for 1 minute and anything for the next hour will sound really great.
The Wall Banger sounds like he has an IV hooked-up to Starbucks.

Heather Wade

Quote from: The General on August 07, 2014, 04:21:35 PM

The Grating One.

He's on my local AM.  Most miserable, pissed off guy I have ever heard.  Hurts my head like a gallon bag of pennies being broken over my face.

yumyumtree

That's why I call him Screaming Mimi. He is a shameless partisan and often treats callers badly, but when it comes to his areas of expertise-- the constitution, law and history, you can't beat him. The feud between him and Savage is heating up again because he feels that Savage is an apologist for Putin.

I would swear that Levin has borrowed show ideas from Savage.

A former local host in the Seattle market once said something on air that implied that Levin isn't a terribly nice guy in person.

He must buy honey and lemons by the case, with all that yelling 3 hours a day.

MV/Liberace!

A former local host in the Seattle market once said something on air that implied that Levin isn't a terribly nice guy in person.

I could totally see that.

wr250

Quote from: yumyumtree on August 07, 2014, 08:07:20 PM
That's why I call him Screaming Mimi.

ive always called him "the screamer"

yumyumtree

You know what I really hate? All this ridicule of people for their personal appearance, height, mostly stuff they can't help, plus innuendo about sexual proclivities, etc. I grew up listening to that shit, and can tell you, it's bad for children to be exposed to that sort of  thing coming from adults on a regular basis. Maybe I take it too seriously but I think it sets the child up to get into abusive relationships and use poor judgement later in life.  I wonder if these verbally abusive talk show hosts( and there aren't that many, fortunately) talked that way around their children when they were growing up?

zeebo

I find this guy a strange mix of pretty compelling constitutional knowledge (good), combined with a ridiculous cartoonish ranting style (bad).

I do listen sometimes, as I connect with some of his frustrations, but the other day I heard him say something so rich it made me laugh, so I'm recounting it here. 

He was going on about how horrible the media coverage of the Ferguson protests is and that all the news outlets are doing is fomenting unrest in order to up their ratings, etc. 

For a pretty smart guy he completely missed the irony that fomenting unrest is exactly what he does continuously on his show, which draws in the listeners, which in turn pays for the advertising that supports him.

VtaGeezer

I couldn't stand Levin even when I was a conservative ditto-head.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 11, 2014, 03:50:04 PM
...I was a conservative ditto-head.

What changed you? I'm guessing it was the Bush presidency.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: MV on October 12, 2014, 02:50:36 AM
More accurately, the Cheney Regency. 

VtaGeezer

Quote from: zeebo on October 11, 2014, 03:45:22 PM
For a pretty smart guy he completely missed the irony that fomenting unrest is exactly what he does continuously on his show, which draws in the listeners, which in turn pays for the advertising that supports him.
He just revs up the faithful. The closest any Levin listener gets to unrest is the Black Friday opening crowd at Walmart.

zeebo

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 11, 2014, 03:50:04 PM
... I was a conservative ditto-head.

Quote from: MV on October 12, 2014, 02:50:36 AM

And given the last six years, have you changed back yet?   ;D

I think that this country will remain bitterly partisan.  During the late GWB years, I encountered lots of internet pontificating about Shrub being "the worst prez ever"... On DAY 1(!) of Obsma's term, I saw a bumper sticker saying "Obama -- Worst president ever".  That sort of unfair nastiness sticks.  It basically makes it fair for me to post such a sticker in'16:  Paul:  Worst president ever!

Of course, them all the Obama badgers will be saying, hey, give Paul a chance!  Respect the office!  Leave if you hate it do much!

Very unfortunate situation.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: zeebo on October 12, 2014, 12:56:32 PM
And given the last six years, have you changed back yet?   ;D
The last six years have mostly focused on pulling us out of the fucking crater that the conservative movement left of America while the fools threw boulders down on the survivors.  Never again.

zeebo

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 12, 2014, 03:07:54 PM
The last six years have mostly focused on pulling us out of the fucking crater that the conservative movement left of America while the fools threw boulders down on the survivors.  Never again.

In keeping with my desire to avoid politics on bellgab, I'll just walk away from this one.   ::)

yumyumtree

Man, Levin must have really gotten out of the wrong side of bed yesterday.

He insists on making fun of Angus King's name, revealing his own ignorance.  It's a fairly common given name in Scottish-American families, and probably in Scotland too.  Did it ever occur to him that the cattle breed was named after a person and not the other way around.  If this King character was someone whose politics he agreed with, you can bet there would be no making fun of his name.

Then there was the caller Mary, who had issues with military spending.  Unfortunately she called on Veterans day, which makes me wonder if it was a set-up call.  Why does it have to be that anybody who ever dares suggest that there is waste in the defense budget is unpatriotic or disrespectful to veterans? Did anybody else hear this and think it might be a fake call?

zeebo

Quote from: yumyumtree on November 12, 2014, 05:14:44 PM
Man, Levin must have really gotten out of the wrong side of bed yesterday.

He insists on making fun of Angus King's name, revealing his own ignorance. ....

I actually heard this too.  It was an un-funny embarassment.  I mean making fun of people's names, that's how you're trying to win an argument? 

If he had any real integrity he'd issue an apology.  Which he won't.

DanTSX

Can't stand Levin.

He's like a lame clone of Savage.

And I'm fairly conservative.  At least in this crowd.

Up All Night

NOBODY analyzes Supreme Court / Legal issues like Mark.

I love to listen to hem a little each day.

There is NO ONE on the planet worth listening to for 3 hours. NO ONE.

yumyumtree

yes, Supreme Court issues are pretty much the best reason to tune in to him.  His personality sure isn't.

Jackstar

Quote from: Jackpine Savage on May 14, 2011, 11:13:14 PM
God, I can't stand Levin.

I'm pleased things have improved over the last eight years.