• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Savage

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 AM

The General

I miss the old glory days of Savage.   God damn, he was on fire 10 years ago.  Now it's like he's just doing time.  Just filibustering his own show.  And that's only on good days when he actually shows up, lately it's half repeats and lousy fill-ins.  If you ain't going to bring your game, Savage, just pack it in.

Juan

When he would do the stream of consciousness stuff, remembering Shakespeare, and talking about Al Gorlione he was at his best.  It was the genius of a madman.

McPhallus

Quote from: The General on August 05, 2012, 03:04:34 AM
I miss the old glory days of Savage.   God damn, he was on fire 10 years ago.  Now it's like he's just doing time.  Just filibustering his own show.  And that's only on good days when he actually shows up, lately it's half repeats and lousy fill-ins.  If you ain't going to bring your game, Savage, just pack it in.

He does take MANY days off, and you'd think they could find a better fill-in than that terrible hack Jeff Kuehner.  I'd rather hear a drunken George Noory than that guy.

Eddie Coyle

He's 70, hates his syndicator and for the last 4 years, has basically worked a 9 hour week. The end is nigh...but I've thought that for a couple of years, so who knows.

Savage is smart and realizes(I think) he's in a diminished medium. The Clinton Years were a boon for "conservative radio" and Fox News and the 'net were in their relative infancies,by 1999 both of them had matched radio's popularity and eventually surpassed it. The Obama years haven't provided a spark, right wing radio has very few new voices that have made an impact. Douchebags like Mancow... ::)

Eddie Coyle

Phil Hendrie should be happy, TRN can be beat...though Phil ain't got 900K for legal troubles.

I wonder if "Savage" will return at all. He's a tough read.

The General

He is a tough read.  I knew he's been going through this but you would never know anything about it from listening to his show.  I guess it explains all the fill ins and the half-hearted efforts.  It'd be great if he came back with another syndicator with a belly full of fire.  He's the most entertaining guy on the radio when he wants to be. 

martinjsxx

This came out of the blue. I never saw anything before about this case and now the only comments are coming from Savage and his attorney. This might be the true story but I am a little skeptical about it. His attorney says Savage spent $900k in the process of fighting this which sounds extremely high for a contract dispute settled in arbitration. I am not convinced this story as reported by Savage and his attorney is the entire story.  Here is the story in the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/28/michael-savage-talk-radio-network_n_1923066.html

The General

Quote from: martinjsxx on September 28, 2012, 10:50:03 AM
This came out of the blue. I never saw anything before about this case and now the only comments are coming from Savage and his attorney. This might be the true story but I am a little skeptical about it. His attorney says Savage spent $900k in the process of fighting this which sounds extremely high for a contract dispute settled in arbitration. I am not convinced this story as reported by Savage and his attorney is the entire story.  Here is the story in the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/28/michael-savage-talk-radio-network_n_1923066.html
I've been hearing about it for years, but Savage never talks about it on his show, for obvious reasons.  The article you posted is the exact same AP article from the Mercury News that I posted above. 

Here's the beginnings of it as reported back in 2010
http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Michael-Savage-Sues-Talk/2010/12/22/id/380753

Sardondi

Of course with arbitration all bets are off, but I've never understood how people in the entertainment business can get around the fact they signed a contract. I don't care if the contract says they will be chained to an oar 7 days a week until they die, it's a contract which they signed. Particularly since people in the business know that their employers will lie to their faces about what the deal is supposed to be and will then screw them to the wall in the fine print. The whole concept is that a modern society can only work if we can rely on promises made in business. If we can change the rules in the middle of the game, society will fall apart. Thus the importance of the enforceability of contracts. (Don't get me started on athletes wanting to renegotiate in the middle of their contracts.)

The only possible daylight I can see is if one party is required to be "fair" about something, and then isn't remotely. But again, it's the contract that both parties signed, and they had an opportunity to fix it up front and didn't, so presumably they want it just the way it is.

stevesh

Quote from: Sardondi on September 28, 2012, 12:48:23 PM
Of course with arbitration all bets are off, but I've never understood how people in the entertainment business can get around the fact they signed a contract

I've always wondered about that myself.

I've never been much of a Savage fan, but it seems to me that his popularity took a nosedive when he started obsessing about being banned from entering the UK (even 'writing' a novel about it). It all isn't about you, dude.

The General

Heard from one of Savage's (former) affiliates today that part of the resolution of this case was the stipulation that he must stay off the air for a certain number of months.  Interesting.

martinjsxx

I just turned on WOR radio in New York and Savage is on the air in his normal time slot. It could be a taped show, I just heard a few moments of it.

The General

Quote from: martinjsxx on September 28, 2012, 04:30:05 PM
I just turned on WOR radio in New York and Savage is on the air in his normal time slot. It could be a taped show, I just heard a few moments of it.
If in fact you heard Savage, it was a tape of some kind.  He's definitely not on the air today.  Most of his affiliates are running something called the Dr. Bill show that TRN is broadcasting to fill the gap.

martinjsxx

Quote from: The General on September 28, 2012, 04:42:24 PM
If in fact you heard Savage, it was a tape of some kind.  He's definitely not on the air today.  Most of his affiliates are running something called the Dr. Bill show that TRN is broadcasting to fill the gap.

"If in fact you heard Savage". You probably didn't intend it but that comment comes across as very dooshy. Yes of course I know whether I heard Savage. It is an encore program and WOR is calling it the Michael Savage show.

Since you probably think I am making it up, here is someone who just posted the same thing on the New York Radio Message Board which is the most influential NY radio board:

http://www.musicradio77.com/wwwboard/messages/399555.html

The General

Quote from: martinjsxx on September 28, 2012, 04:47:33 PM
"If in fact you heard Savage". You probably didn't intend it but that comment comes across as very dooshy. Yes of course I know whether I heard Savage. It is an encore program and WOR is calling it the Michael Savage show.

Since you probably think I am making it up, here is someone who just posted the same thing on the New York Radio Message Board which is the most influential NY radio board:

http://www.musicradio77.com/wwwboard/messages/399555.html

I said it very pointedly because I checked 710 WOR after you said this, and they are not broadcasting Savage.  They are broadcasting something called the Loose Kannon show.  On commercial breaks, they are still playing a Savage promo where he says "you're listening to 710 WOR" and that's about it.  A far cry from a re-broadcast of his program.  Also, I wasn't sure if perhaps you were retarded after you posted your initial comment and then a duplicate of a news story that had already been posted...

Quote from: martinjsxx on September 28, 2012, 10:50:03 AM

First of all, just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean that it is 'out of the blue.'  Secondly, I doubt very much that you have any idea what you are talking about when you say that $900k is extremely high for a contract dispute settled in arbitration.  Do you have any idea what a top tier celebrity lawyer charges?  Thirdly, TRN has yet to make a statement on the case, so we will hear their side when they issue one.

martinjsxx

I stand corrected you are not a doosh, you are a complete a-hole. Savage is playing on the radio in New York and they just played the story of Louie and the monkey again. Now go away you little Savage a-hole.

The General

Quote from: martinjsxx on September 28, 2012, 05:21:40 PM
I stand corrected you are not a doosh, you are a complete a-hole. Savage is playing on the radio in New York and they just played the story of Louie and the monkey again. Now go away you little Savage a-hole.
Maybe you're picking it up on a filling in your teeth? 
Nice to meet you too.

martinjsxx

Quote from: The General on September 28, 2012, 05:25:04 PM
Maybe you're picking it up on a filling in your teeth? 
Nice to meet you too.

My introduction to you was you making a big deal about posting a story from the Huntington Post which while the same AP author as something you posted was from a diifferent forum and had its own reader comments. What an insult to you. Then I am listening in NYC to Savage over the air which is a very interesting fact given that Savage was supposed to be off the air indefinitely. You respond that I am basically hallucinating given your investigation of what is playing on WOR. I have no idea what you looked at but the fact is that the Savage Nation is on the radio in NYC at this very moment. Your internet need to correct is so 1998.

The General

I'm not insulted at all, but you seem to be.  I'm not sure why.
This is what WOR is broadcasting over their live feed...

http://www.wor710.com/pages/7049861.php

Perhaps the station is playing a final best-of rebroadcast locally if that's what you're hearing on the air in NY. But their live feed that goes out over the internet is not Savage.  I don't know what you're listening to.  But I assure you, the above news reports are true, and not one of your hallucinations.

ItsOver

Drudge had a link to the WND story last night about Savage winning the case and not being on the air for awhile.  That's how I first found out about the whole thing going down. The local station here is playing somebody talking about Israel, Iran, and the nuke situation.  Supposedly, Savage is busy shopping for a new syndicator.  It'll be interesting to see how long he's actually off the air.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's the rest of this year, although he's going to miss out on being able to plug his new book "Train Tracks," especially for the Holidays.  It was one of his "go to's" the past few shows.  We shall see.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on September 28, 2012, 04:42:24 PM
WRKO in Boston is replacing Savage tonight with Mark Levin, which is kinda funny considering their past.
      WRKO's 11am-noon host is none other than Jeff Kuhner, but strangely he's not being utilized as Savage's replacement at night.

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 28, 2012, 06:41:07 PM
        WRKO in Boston is replacing Savage tonight with Mark Levin, which is kinda funny considering their past.
      WRKO's 11am-noon host is none other than Jeff Kuhner, but strangely he's not being utilized as Savage's replacement at night.
It will definitely be interesting to see how and when Savage comes back, through what syndicater, and what time slot he will be in.  It's also a possibility that he doesn't even come back at all.

He was off the air for a few weeks several years ago when he switched from KSFO to KNEW in San Francisco, remember that? 

ItsOver

Levin in place of Savage IS ironic, considering their mutual "admiration."  ;)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on September 28, 2012, 07:05:10 PM
It will definitely be interesting to see how and when Savage comes back, through what syndicater, and what time slot he will be in.  It's also a possibility that he doesn't even come back at all.

He was off the air for a few weeks several years ago when he switched from KSFO to KNEW in San Francisco, remember that?
It's very interesting, especially given that he retained his archives. Could he be angling for his own network, possibly as an off shoot of a larger syndicator? I could see him taking on an emeritus role, with even less of his grueling workload of the past 3 years.

At his age, being off the air an extended period(say 18 months) could be problematic. People move on(I say that ironically considering some of our brethren) and political talk radio isn't the draw or money maker it was a decade ago.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ItsOver on September 28, 2012, 07:16:36 PM
Levin in place of Savage IS ironic, considering their mutual "admiration."  ;)
Levin certainly views him negatively and suspiciously, for quite a few reasons. It's one of the rare radio feuds where the rancor is very real.

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 28, 2012, 07:23:38 PM
      Levin certainly views him negatively and suspiciously, for quite a few reasons. It's one of the rare radio feuds where the rancor is very real.

I've heard Levin say Savage isn't who he appears to be on the radio.  I suspect Levin wonders about Savage's less-than-conservative early years and sees him as somewhat of an opportunist.  Savage loves to mock Levin about his voice, with his "Grouch Marx" comments.  I'll have to admit Levin has less than a quality radio voice but his legal/historyl background and his mind more than make-up for that little issue, IMHO.  Of course, the fact they're basically competitors doesn't help.  It would be interesting to see them have a "rant-off."  I'm surprised one of them hasn't keeled over during one of their on-air rants.

McPhallus

Let's hope to the gods that Kuhner does not become any sort of defacto replacement for Savage, even temporarily.  Kuhner:Savage as Noory:Bell.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ItsOver on September 28, 2012, 08:26:08 PM
I've heard Levin say Savage isn't who he appears to be on the radio.  I suspect Levin wonders about Savage's less-than-conservative early years and sees him as somewhat of an opportunist.  Savage loves to mock Levin about his voice, with his "Grouch Marx" comments.  I'll have to admit Levin has less than a quality radio voice but his legal/historyl background and his mind more than make-up for that little issue, IMHO.  Of course, the fact they're basically competitors doesn't help.  It would be interesting to see them have a "rant-off."  I'm surprised one of them hasn't keeled over during one of their on-air rants.
Levin has mentioned Savage's past in less than flattering terms, with hints at his "lifestyle" and Savage using a stage name. Then more recent things like Savage supporting Jerry Brown financially or dining with Willie Brown/Gavin Newsom also irked him.

Savage has accused Levin of being a Limbaugh toadie, and ripping off Savage's act. Frankly, the latter is absurd, I remember seeing Levin as a guest on political shows in the early 90's and being a fervent Clinton basher.

I think Savage is an entertainer first and firstmost, and like many so many of them is a bit "disturbed". It probably fuels the creativity, but man oh man does he enjoy alienating his audience and allies.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on September 28, 2012, 10:01:36 PM
Let's hope to the gods that Kuhner does not become any sort of defacto replacement for Savage, even temporarily.  Kuhner:Savage as Noory:Bell.

Crazy as it sounds....Noory is a more appropriate replacement(ducks) than Kuhner. That voice alone should be disqualifier.