• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Savage

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 AM

yumyumtree

Savage baffles me.  One of the reasons I joined this forum was to discuss him, though of course I'm also interested in discussing Coast to Coast and their hosts.  I'm a conservative, and listen to a lot of conservative talk radio.  But I like to think that I'm not a knee-jerk idealogue, and try to use my own brain once in a while. You may know that the most recent Savage firestorm(among conservatives) has been over his position on the Zimmerman-Martin trial.
I've been listening to Savage off and on for 8 or 9 years and one thing I've noticed increasingly is sloppy factchecking.  For example, a couple of months ago, he spent a lot of time on a documentary about a long-lost VietNam POW even though the guy had been exposed as a fraud some days before.  After the Woolwich machete terrorism incident, he repeatedly said that the assailants were dead.  They weren't. A few years ago after a story about e.coli infected produce, he repeatedly said that tomatoes were the offenders, though the story had been changed to something else, peppers, I think.  I could go on and on. My theory is that he treats his staff like crap, and they hate him and get him back by letting him go on the air with glaring errors. Kind of a Dilbert scenario.
I've noticed some of the same type of thing with George Noory, but nothing like with Savage.
Savage also seems to be relying increasingly on Alex Jones' websites.  Not good. And he hates on other hosts, then wonders why they wouldn't come to his defense when he was banned in the U.K., though a few did, of course. Apparently there's an unwritten taboo about knocking other hosts on air, and that's why most of them don't say anything about him, or if they do, don't mention him by name.  Savage, of course, doesn't care about this taboo.  Neither does Mark Levin.  They frequently launch on each other, and it's not just schtick, I don't think.
There are many problems with Savage and one of the biggest is lack of respect for listeners.  It reminds me of a cheap diner we used to go to when I was a kid.  It was a small town where for some reason decent restaurants couldn't make a go of it, and t he lettuce was brown and there was an I-don't care attitude, but like Dagwood Bumstead, we kept going for more punishment. This very evening, I will be tuning in at 9 Pacific time, maybe switching to Noory at 10. I need help.

MV/Liberace!

hey, yumyumtree.  good post.

i've noticed a lot of these same problems with savage.  what has always reeeeally annoyed me about him is how he'll back off just long enough to let the caller begin speaking again, and then hell POUNCE and cut them off entirely, mid sentence.  you could set your watch by it.

It's a pretty clear sign, I suspect, that Savage (a stage name, as well all know), is first and foremost about making money.  It's all an act (well, an act he may partially actually believe).  Conflict sells, baby... he knows some people will tune in just to hear him go off and somebody....

Of course, such content diminishes our collective political dialogue and polarizes the country still further, but, what the hell, as long as it makes a buck or two*... right?

(See Michelle Malkin @ Twitchy, Sean Hannity, Al Sharpton @ MSNBC, Alex Jones, et al).

Now, here's an interesting question:  if you knew you could clear a cool one million a year by spewing vitriolic nonsense, would you do it?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 18, 2013, 04:34:49 PM
Now, here's an interesting question:  if you knew you could clear a cool one million a year by spewing vitriolic nonsense, would you do it?

i would blow stray dogs at the park next to the choo-choo-train for a million dollars per year.

onan

Quote from: MV on July 18, 2013, 04:38:26 PM

i would blow stray dogs at the park next to the choo-choo-train for a million dollars per year.

Yeah at a million a year I could face a ton of public humiliation. And if I got good at it I could probably bump it up to 2 million.

yumyumtree

It's a pretty clear sign, I suspect, that Savage (a stage name, as well all know), is first and foremost about making money.  It's all an act (well, an act he may partially actually believe).  Conflict sells, baby... he knows some people will tune in just to hear him go off and somebody....

Of course, such content diminishes our collective political dialogue and polarizes the country still further, but, what the hell, as long as it makes a buck or two*... right?

(See Michelle Malkin @ Twitchy, Sean Hannity, Al Sharpton @ MSNBC, Alex Jones, et al).

No.

I think that has always been the case.  I've only happened upon Savage a few times in the last year, but I sensed that the decline in quality was just an old man getting bored with a job well below his intellect.  As I think I said a few years ago higher up in this thread, Savage was at his best when he was a story-teller.  His random stories weren't laced with anger, were almost entirely apolitical, and absolutely fascinating.  Though I suspect those tuning in for his political content found the stories to be frustrating.

Depends how you define "vitriolic nonsense".  A show like Limbaugh, sure.  Hannity, I really don't think so.  Those left of center may not distinguish these two conservatives, but with Limbaugh, you get the sense there's at least an engaged brain behind all the blustering, whether you agree with him or not.  Hannity just repeats the exact same ideas over and over and over...  although the million sure would help, I honestly think of Hannity's job as a mild form of torture, and wonder about the long-term mental health implications.

Juan

Since Savage has moved to Cumulus, he seems to be telling more stories.  He certainly has laid off much of the bitching about England.  His stream of consciousness rants can also be entertaining, even when he's completely wrong.

ItsOver

I always laugh at the supposed animosity between "Groucho Marx's Grandmother" and "The Meatball Guy."  ;D   Savage really does remind of a grouchy old uncle who can really tell some good stories at times.

yumyumtree

I think it's real. I think that Savage and Levin(who worked in the Reagan administration, doncha know?)really hate each other. Levin is smart and knowledgable, but probably not made for talk radio. My nickname for him is Screaming Mimi.

Foodlion

I can't stand Savages website anymore. It's loaded with those "click here before it's banned" or "this weird trick blah blah blah" ads all over it. He couldn't be making much money off those, so why would he stoop that low?

yumyumtree

I seldom go to it, but I know it's trashy. Apparently there's no contact information, no way for listeners to email him. I've had no desire to do so, but people on Free Republic were upset about it.

We don't get him in this market until 9 in the evening, but apparently he really launched on Rush today. So what else is new?

ItsOver

Quote from: yumyumtree on August 01, 2013, 06:31:21 PM
I seldom go to it, but I know it's trashy. Apparently there's no contact information, no way for listeners to email him. I've had no desire to do so, but people on Free Republic were upset about it.

We don't get him in this market until 9 in the evening, but apparently he really launched on Rush today. So what else is new?

You mean "The Golf Bag AKA The Golfer?"  Savage has a name for everybody.  He's worse than we are with Dave Noorie.  ;D  He's reading the top towns for hippies tonight.

The General

Savage promising a "big announcement" tonight.

I love Savage, but...
last time he did this I think the announcement was that Herman Cain likes pepperoni.

WhosURmama

I have a love/hate thing with MS.  I do like his books.

yumyumtree

I haven't posted lately because I forgot my password, but I suppose by now most know that Savage will be taking over Sean Hannity's time slot Jan.1. This may not mean much in some markets like Seattle, where some shows are taped and run at other times anyway.
But some of us cynics are making bets(not literally, I don't like gambling)on when and how he will screw this up. I personally give it 2-3 months, 6 tops.
Supposedly, Cumulus is trying to edge away from one partisan political show after another and think Savage will be a good fit because he likes to talk about a variety of topics. There are also theories along more sinister lines. One thing a lot of us are curious about is how he'll continue to get away with a third hour that's not live but spliced-up, canned material. He's been doing this for years and its one of people's biggest complaints about him. That and his incessant digs at other hosts, usually Limbaugh and Hannity, though he's been ridiculing Megyn Kelly.
Just when I'm about to write off Savage, he does something useful. Check out the Audrey Hudson story. If she's telling the truth, and it went down the way she said, we all need to be very concerned.

The General

Quote from: yumyumtree on October 26, 2013, 10:34:03 PM
...One thing a lot of us are curious about is how he'll continue to get away with a third hour that's not live but spliced-up, canned material. He's been doing this for years and its one of people's biggest complaints about him...

I hear ya.  I've been a big fan of Savage for over a decade.  I listened daily, rarely missed a show.  Since Art returned, I haven't been listening much.  Savage is amazing, but the third hour thing sucks.  I haven't listened to a third hour since he started doing the prerecorded stuff.  Those fake interviews that some engineer slices together are the worst.  Worse than Noory... anyway... when Savage is on, he's on.  And I really resonate with his message about 90% of the time.  Borders, language, culture!

What's pissed me off about his show lately is this: most of his shows anymore are about how good his show is.  Every bragging point he can scrape off the internet, or based on what someone said, or based on how every other show sucks, or if he was right about something, he goes on and on about how he's never wrong and his show is the best show in the universe... Or if he makes some lateral move in syndication, or if some big new radio station in a big market starts carrying his show, or if he wins one of his many lawsuits, or if his cumulus boss comes on the radio, or now his time slot change... these are all turned into show topics.  He'll ride some of them for a solid week. God Dammit, Savage, I know your show is good!  Or at least it used to be!  But a show about how good your show is? That's not a good show!  It's become boring, predictable radio.

The other thing that's been pissing me off about him for the last six months is that he's mentioning Alex Jones and Prison Planet more and more.  No thanks, Mike!

So, I just listen to Art.  I'll give Savage another chance when he starts up with the earlier show, but I think you're right about how he might crash and burn.  We'll see. 

I'm with The General on Savage. He is, hands down, the most entertaining personality on radio. The man gets me laughing every
time he starts on a rant. Have you heard him do Hillary? His stories are just so interesting, as well.

Then we have the inflated ego. And lately, it's been over-the-top.

The General

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 26, 2013, 11:40:03 PM

He truly is his own worst enemy.  As much as he talks about how maligned he is, nobody has done more to hurt his show than he has. 

Juan

I love it when he gets off on a rant about something.  He has the accuracy of Ed Dames.  I remember a day or two after 9/11, he learned that there were only a few Arab countries that had flight simulators.  He wanted to bomb those countries.  Of course, we later learned the murderers had learned to fly in the US.

I don't agree with anything he says, really, but oh dear lord he's entertaining while saying it.  Especially when he goes on a rant, tries to get somewhat back on track and then back to the rant a few seconds later.

chunter

Michael Savage is a big government phony.

he acts like he is a libertarian, but he's really a big government shill when it counts.

yumyumtree

Yes, one time years ago I was in some kind of workshop for women, self-esteem or something. The teacher said, if you want to know your real priorities in life, look at your appointment book and your checkbook(nowadays probably credit or debit card statement, but you get the point). Because this is how you spend your time and your money. You can say your priorities are this or that, but if its not reflected in how you spend your time or your money, those aren't your real priorities. I always remembered that.

Michael Savage chose to open his checkbook not so many years ago and write substantial checks for two Democrats' campaigns in California, and they weren't moderate Democrats. I always remember that.

yumyumtree

So has anybody been listening to the new improved Savage in the new time slot? The show is generally better though he still falls into old bad habits. One of the worst of these is the fake third hour, which isn't 100% live but a mixture of live material and material from either earlier in the show or other shows(sometimes from months earlier)This used to be one of the number one complaints about him--people didnt know if be was just too tired or lazy to have a real third hour or what. One theory is that a lot of stations only run the first two, but still. Since Jan.2 the fake third hours are being done more artfully and some days he actually does a real third hour. I suppose one way of looking at it is I can switch over to C to C without feeling like I'm missing something.

I predicted that this new gig would only last a few months partly because of Savages insistence on this and also things like sniping at other talk show hosts, particularly Sean Hannity.

Heather Wade

Aw, man, the call screener (or whoever handles these things) just messed up two calls in a row.  Hilarious to hear Savage making an attempt at reigning in his seething rage after he tried to put both callers on & got nothing but dead air.  I love it when shit goes wrong  to angry dudes.   ;D

I can imagine the ear splitting, soul crushing fit he must be throwing at the crew during the break.   :o

McPhallus

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 26, 2013, 11:40:03 PM

Agree totally.  Last week he was ranting about a topic and suddenly stopped, saying something to the effect of, "there's nothing you can say that I can't say better."  Oh, really?

McPhallus

He just had a screener apparently walk off the job.  As much as I admire the guy, he must be the worst boss in the world.  Play the wrong clip or be a little bit off on the timing, and here comes the verbal abuse.

Quote from: (Redacted) on March 18, 2014, 07:26:00 PM
Aw, man, the call screener (or whoever handles these things) just messed up two calls in a row.  Hilarious to hear Savage making an attempt at reigning in his seething rage after he tried to put both callers on & got nothing but dead air.  I love it when shit goes wrong  to angry dudes.   ;D

I can imagine the ear splitting, soul crushing fit he must be throwing at the crew during the break.   :o

McPhallus

Quote from: yumyumtree on January 22, 2014, 01:37:22 AM
I predicted that this new gig would only last a few months partly because of Savages insistence on this and also things like sniping at other talk show hosts, particularly Sean Hannity.

I think some people enjoy the sniping.  I have to admit I enjoy nothing more than hearing him become enraged and attack some of the less sharp callers.

Agree about the third hour.  But now it's much better than the days when we'd just hear pre-recorded interviews, some of which were just infomercials for people like that snake oiler Michael Scott Bell. Some of those interviews sounded like savage had just prerecorded the questions, which were then fed to the interviewee.  I could swear they had a clip of savage saying "this is unbelievable to me" and were just inserting that into the "interviews."

Heather Wade

Quote from: McPhallus on March 18, 2014, 07:34:10 PM
He just had a screener apparently walk off the job.  As much as I admire the guy, he must be the worst boss in the world.  Play the wrong clip or be a little bit off on the timing, and here comes the verbal abuse.

I might have said this before, but, what baffles me is his constant pothead bashing, yet he plays Metallica & Judas Priest as bumper music...?  Does he know how those riffs were written?  You'd think someone who hates the demon weed so much wouldn't play music created with it.

Feel bad for the screener, but it must have taken some strength to walk away from such an oppressive ego.

Foodlion

Quote from: McPhallus on March 18, 2014, 07:34:10 PM

lol I had thought that as well. I heard him chewing out one of his workers before calling them brain dead. I feel sorry for them, but I bet it's still a job many would love to fill.

Michael is only fun to listen to when he doesn't spend an hour talking about his big ugly poodle teddy.
I don't think people tune in to hear the story of the time Teddy was fed table scraps under the table of a Chinese Buffett and an hour of analogies about it.
His insecurities of his last name keep him from doing open lines. Really he should just get over it and take on the haters....
It beings memories of myself being a cooped up security guard and having The Savage nation keeping me entertained. Those were the days.