• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

aldousburbank

Yes,

My preference has been to be politically active by growing as much organic food as I can, keeping me off the streets, healthy, and free to express my opinions.  The hard work alone is enough to keep the facade Marxists idealists far away from me.  A shovel to a phony is like a crucifix to Dracula, or a job to a hippie.  :)

onan

Quote from: The General on May 23, 2011, 05:42:22 PM
Well, then, Aldous, I think we'd get along fine. 

Barry Goldwater was awesome, and Joseph McCarthy was right!

Goldwater would be considered a liberal by today's standard, McCarthy was a nut.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aldousburbank

Quote from: onan on May 23, 2011, 06:00:22 PM
Goldwater would be considered a liberal by today's standard, McCarthy was a nut.
Sent from my iPad

Agree with your analysis here, but then I'm some type of nut also, but not the McCarthy type.  My working theory since the 90's has been to suspect that everyone's smoking crack until proven otherwise.  This gives me the proper perspective to proceed with my life, as I am in contact with a wide variety of people on a daily basis.  In this way I may be like old Joe.  Then again, if you enjoy learning about project paperclip and our technological and political absorption of Nazi culture, you may suspect, as I do, that whereas Sen. McCarthy thought he was smelling commie chicken wafting through a diverse and subversive political population, he was actually smelling totalitarian ham.  So he was kind of wrong and right, IMO.

BTW, JFK would likely be considered a conservative in the current political spectrum.

aldousburbank

Oh and one more thing General- I am also still preparing for Y2K, heh.  I was the dude who bought the sacks of grain, cooking oil, water storage containers, and the like at half price or less, from all the poser wanna-be survivalists- on Jan 1st 2000.  Loser sale.  Of course I didn't buy squat before that day. :)

The General

Sent from my iPad

A liberal in the classical sense, yes.  Not what liberal means today.  It's a word that's been co-opted by the left.  Liberal and leftist ideologies used to be pretty diametrically opposed to one another.  Now they have merged into one blanket term: progressive.  And Goldwater was no progressive leftist.

And McCarthy was proven right, in my eyes anyway, with the release of the Venona papers by the NSA in 1995.  Apparently there was a lot of Communist infiltration into the USA. 

The General

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 23, 2011, 06:24:00 PM
Oh and one more thing General- I am also still preparing for Y2K, heh.  I was the dude who bought the sacks of grain, cooking oil, water storage containers, and the like at half price or less, from all the poser wanna-be survivalists- on Jan 1st 2000.  Loser sale.  Of course I didn't buy squat before that day. :)

Nice!  I want to build a bomb shelter in my back yard.  If I had the money, I would.

onan

Quote from: The General on May 23, 2011, 08:11:44 PM
A liberal in the classical sense, yes.  Not what liberal means today.  It's a word that's been co-opted by the left.  Liberal and leftist ideologies used to be pretty diametrically opposed to one another.  Now they have merged into one blanket term: progressive.  And Goldwater was no progressive leftist.

My only point is the terms of liberal and conservative are not fixed points.
I just don't give a fuck about someone twisting leftist and progressive into some kind of malevolent concept.

I agree both sides have moved to serving the rich rather than the country as a whole. But it seems no matter who suggests changing how campaign finance should be reformed they get pilloried. And the supreme court gave the nod to corporations being the same as an individual... so good luck trying to finance a campaign without big business. I don't think progressives were in on that one... I may be wrong.

I know I have derailed the thread. shoot me.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on May 23, 2011, 08:11:44 PM

And McCarthy was proven right, in my eyes anyway, with the release of the Venona papers by the NSA in 1995.  Apparently there was a lot of Communist infiltration into the USA.

McCarthy was actually quite late, much of the Soviet infiltration occurred between 1942-1949, his speech in Wheeling,WV was in Feb,1950...he was ringing a bell long after the fire started. And much of the hatred towards him came from Eastern Establishment Media, who viewed him as an invader. Irish Catholics were expected to be sevants to the Democratic Party and because many of his targets were Jewish or WASP, his upbringing was stressed as WHY he was so anti-Communist, because clearly he must be "serving Rome".

McCarthy's biggest flaw was himself, a drunk prone to exaggeration and grandiosity. And the snakes he had working for him like Roy Cohn and Bobby Kennedy betrayed the fact that McCarthy wasn't a good judge of people around him...He was right, but a flawed messenger.

valdez

Quote from: Marc Knight on May 22, 2011, 08:40:07 PM
Hey guys...It has been fun, but I need to step away from 'Forum-Time' for a while.  Coastgab has a great bunch of regulars now, and I leave knowing that the quest to convince the powers that be to get a new C2C host is in good hands.
Best to you all.

One of coastgab's great talents,
and always a voice for civility and reason.
Blood wine and a Klingon opera
in your honor.

aldousburbank

Quote from: onan on May 23, 2011, 08:43:49 PM
My only point is the terms of liberal and conservative are not fixed points.
I just don't give a fuck about someone twisting leftist and progressive into some kind of malevolent concept.

Yes, the labels aren't helping us anymore as the gravy has gotten all onto the rest of the plate now.  In conversational terms I am sometimes guilty of using worn labels in describing those whose views I oppose, but in actuality my own liberal/progressive stand has made me into what many of my friends consider "conservative", which is another lamely used term.  I consider myself a member of the far middle.  That means I want to be left alone to raise my nuclear family.  If I wanted a communal lifestyle I'd join a cool hippie commune/cult.  I don't need it from my government.  There was a brief moment when we did not have the income (or the garden) to feed ourselves consistently and we went on a few months of food stamps, but it felt like crap.  Got into commercial vegetable production this way, wanting to feed my family, and it got us off the aid simultaneously.  Yes, I have been helped by the progressive new deal society, and I pay for it too.  As I tell my kids, a bird needs a left, and a right wing to fly straight.

onan

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 25, 2011, 10:58:22 AM

Yes, the labels aren't helping us anymore as the gravy has gotten all onto the rest of the plate now.  In conversational terms I am sometimes guilty of using worn labels in describing those whose views I oppose, but in actuality my own liberal/progressive stand has made me into what many of my friends consider "conservative", which is another lamely used term.  I consider myself a member of the far middle.  That means I want to be left alone to raise my nuclear family.  If I wanted a communal lifestyle I'd join a cool hippie commune/cult.  I don't need it from my government.  There was a brief moment when we did not have the income (or the garden) to feed ourselves consistently and we went on a few months of food stamps, but it felt like crap.  Got into commercial vegetable production this way, wanting to feed my family, and it got us off the aid simultaneously.  Yes, I have been helped by the progressive new deal society, and I pay for it too.  As I tell my kids, a bird needs a left, and a right wing to fly straight.
I really do not believe this could have been said better. I think most of us want something similar. We all want to have a safe healthy family. We all want to do our part and not feel like we have to do the work of others.

I don't think conservatives begrudge feeding the hungry. I do think they feel taken advantage of and who can blame them. They have been taken advantage of.

I think liberals are often too much in the mind of "if I think it is right then you have to think it is right too. And who can blame them sometimes they are right and yet they are shouted down. Sometimes shouted down rightfully so.

The thing my wife reminds me of is that if the fringe did not yell we may all forget to pay attention.

The issue I have with all of it is we have predetermined attitudes given/sold to us by those with ulterior motives.

I happen to like conversations that are challenging. I like having the other side presented to me without the vitriol that so often seems to be sharing the venue.

I dunno, just seems to me it is better to laugh and respect than it is to vilify. But the rhetoric never seems to change. And until we all take responsibility to be respectful...

aldousburbank

Now, just to re-thread this needle:

According to my calculations, based on my study of ancient scriptures, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Prophecy for Dummies, and The Lorax, the world will not end today exactly at 4:20 pm, per sequential time zone.  However, I could be wrong.

b_dubb

has anyone heard from MV since the tornadoes in Joplin?

aldousburbank

Quote from: b_dubb on May 27, 2011, 01:28:17 PM

Or since the rapture?

The General

Quote from: b_dubb on May 27, 2011, 01:28:17 PM

Not since the last "Spec Sheet" podcast.

MV/Liberace!

Hi all. I'm fine. Thanks for inquiring.I've just been super busy recently.

I live in Cape Girardeau, MO which is on the opposite side of the state from Joplin. Even so, I'm shocked by what's happened there. I've been to Joplin probably 100 times, and I have a few acquaintances and customers from there. I've called almost all to check up on them, and thus far all have been ok. I still have one more to check up on, which I plan to take care of on Sunday.

I think perhaps the most stunning image from Joplin is that of the decimated WalMart. I don't know why. Maybe it's just because WalMart seems like the type of place you could go to survive the apocalypse so long as you're not standing next to the (otherwise flying) cutlery section. I was really blown away to see that. I've been in that WalMart so many times. It is now flat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MV/Liberace!

Anyone have an unused netbook lying around collecting dust? I'd like to have one to use as a stream server. Numerous reasons why... reliability being at the top of the list. Power consumption second. The current server needs to be retired. Badly. You'll note the stream has been down all day and will remain so until at least late tomorrow night. Bleh.

MV/Liberace!

satellite imagery of joplin before and after the tornado.  the tornado's path is clearly visible.

Camper

Amazing before and after photos. A path of complete destruction!

EvB

You know - WE had a tornado last week.  Maybe not a biggie for those who live in Tronadoville- but people, this is New England - hurricanes yes - tornadoes NO!

Here is the NASA shot of ours:

EvB

Quote from: Marc Knight on May 22, 2011, 08:40:07 PM
Hey guys,

It has been fun, but I need to step away from 'Forum-Time' for a while.  Coastgab has a great bunch of regulars now, and I leave knowing that the quest to convince the powers that be to get a new C2C host is in good hands.

Best to you all.

Well - took me so long to see this that it's unlikely Marc will see my reply - you will be sorely missed!  But, you do have a little one on the way, don't you?  that does change things.

Pass the blood wine, guys.

anagrammy

Quote from: haloedorchid on April 19, 2011, 11:21:59 AM
I have a friend who moved to Hawaii, and now she says "da" instead of "the". It's really annoying.

Just catching up here, but a big lightbulb went on in my head!  George Noory is moving to Hawaii and he ALREADY can't pronounce anything---is there, is there a chance he will lazy slide right into speaking Pidgeon?  Or is it Pijin?

Now dat be for makin' da day!

Anagrammy

anagrammy

Good Bye to Marc!  I didn't see your farewell, but read Ev's reply above.  We will definitely miss you but understand the demands of parenthood.  Don't forget to buy "Go the Fuck to Sleep" for a preview of your new life.

My husband and I took turns getting up in the night.  It was hell, but at least i could nap during the day.  When my son had his first baby (premature, cried constantly) he shaved his head to eliminate a task.  Yeah, that bad but now that baby is five years old and the sun rises and sets on her little blond head.

Love to you....:)  C'mon back and visit once in a while. 

Anagrammy

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on June 07, 2011, 08:32:27 PM

You know - WE had a tornado last week.  Maybe not a biggie for those who live in Tronadoville- but people, this is New England - hurricanes yes - tornadoes NO!

Here is the NASA shot of ours:

Yikes.

Usagi

Quote from: anagrammy on June 18, 2011, 11:56:53 AM
Just catching up here, but a big lightbulb went on in my head!  George Noory is moving to Hawaii and he ALREADY can't pronounce anything---is there, is there a chance he will lazy slide right into speaking Pidgeon?  Or is it Pijin?

Pidgin.

And, it'll give Noory an excuse to eat even more Spam.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/11/business/worldbusiness/11iht-spam.1.6089119.html

b_dubb

Goldwater would be considered a liberal by today's standard
we have a standard?

anagrammy

Yes, haven't you heard of the Goldwater Standard?

Word is, we're going back to it...

Anagrammy

i don't know why, but this in many ways hammered how my day has started.  >:(

Five Words Or Less Spike e Buffy (Spuffy)

"I want to be found guilty on three counts of negligent homicide and go to prison!"
- James Arthur Ray, guest lecturer featured in "The Secret."

"Your wish is my command."
- the Vin Diesel lookalike genii from "The Secret."