• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Guns

Started by Caruthers612, July 01, 2010, 11:34:40 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Phantastic SanShiSan on May 24, 2013, 11:40:38 AM
Was this a big thing? Because I remember mentioning this fact when asked about the case (at the time the initial hubbub was ongoing), and I always said "If all they are doing is showing me 4-5+ year-old pics of this kid, something must be wrong."
It was MSNBC and CNN's game plan(still is) to avoid any reality. Show him as a pre-teen weighing 100 lbs, make no mention of his activities after the age of 14. Ignore his social media footprint which portrays him as a the thug he aspired to be or had become.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 24, 2013, 12:01:57 PM

The traffic might be the same as NY in density..But I have no idea how far the police station was in relation to the incident. We also have dedicated armed police response units (They're called 'TROJAN' I believe in London, I have no idea why).. The officers would have been briefed before going mobile and collect their weapons and ammunition-it's important to remember they're not armed all the time, but on call at a moments notice. From footage the initial four officers (armed) raced up in a car and got out..

... Why is it bollox? They have to know where they're going, what the updated situation is (There is a school right next to where it happened, so they need to be aware of possible kids outside it, parents picking up etc)..Sure they have to think and act on their feet and do, when they're there, but any intelligence is an advantage...All the more reason why Joe public isn't the best person to make such critical decisions when shit is hitting the fan. The police don't wish to be universally armed, they consistently vote against it when given the opportunity. I personally know a couple of serving police officers, one with about 30 years service.  I've asked the question, "Would you like to carry a firearm?" Both told me not at all. One told me it would make his job a lot harder, because then a criminal would already go armed knowing the cop was too, and a shootout was a good likely outcome. So he'd rather go along and try and defuse a situation.

In other words the police are useless to anyone that needs immediate help.   There is a trade off between knowing everything about a situation and immediacy.  It seems to me during a crisis or crime, the need for immediacy would prevail - especially if they could be briefed over their radios while on the way.  I'm glad these cops feel 'safe', although the good of the public seems to not even be a consideration.

Anyone following this should now be clear on why people resist ever more gun laws.  The attitude the government there takes on public safety should give one pause when considering whether to turn one's healthcare decisions over to bureaucrats here is the US.  It is not these specific leaders, it's the nature of government as an institution to grow big, uncaring, self serving, incompetent, wasteful, and unaccountable.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 24, 2013, 12:06:18 PM

You do talk utter utter utter fucking tosh.

Well thanks.  I'm glad you enjoy my posts.

Ban all assault knives and machetes now!
FOR THE CHILDRENS! ! ! ! !

Sardondi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 24, 2013, 01:31:34 PM...In other words the police are useless to anyone that needs immediate help....

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away". http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/05/23/911-dispatcher-tells-woman-about-to-be-sexually-assaulted-there-are-no-cops-to-help-her-due-to-budget-cuts/. 911 dispatcher says due to budget cuts, no cops are available to respond to a sexual assault. "Can you ask him to go away?", dispatcher asks.

Government can no longer answer the bell on routine domestic crises. It's as much as admitted by the Emergency Response people at FEMA who send out standards saying all Americans should be prepared to survive up to 3 days without help. It's simply foolish not to own a firearm and be trained in its use. 

stevesh

Quote from: Sardondi on May 24, 2013, 02:33:39 PM
It's simply foolish not to own a firearm and be trained in its use.

Yes, and we're lucky that we have the option. I live in a small town (~2500 population) and I can throw a baseball out my back bedroom window and hit the local volunteer fire department's building. We have a town meeting on the 30th to discuss the (likely) possibility that our fire protection will be contracted to a slightly larger city six miles away. We had a millage vote in the last election that would have provided a little more money for fire and police protection that went down to defeat.

Those of us in small town America are learning the same hard lesson as the folks in big cities - no such thing as free.

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on May 24, 2013, 07:35:47 AM
It's all controlled by state/local law, the attitude of the local law enforcement community (particularly the local DA), and local attitudes about citizens and firearms; but in most jurisdictions an average joe is going to get a pass for shooting an escaping killer on the theory of preventing additional serious crime. Jeez Louise, just look at what they've done to us, where we're hesitant about defending ourselves and our community from murderers who would stroll away from their kill with impunity. Unfortunately all this goes pretty much goes out the window in most major cities and the Northeast in general, where "liberal fascism" has taken hold in most governments and much of the populace.

I can't find the particulars but I was told this story by the person that taught the ccw class I attended (this is going back quite a ways).

A recent recipeint of a NC ccw permit came upon a man and woman fighting. The man was holding a knife. He had a large amount of blood on his clothing. He was yelling and appeared to be holding the knife above his head.

The new ccw person drew his weapon and fired hitting the man with the knife in the chest killing him. Upon investigation the deceased man had been stabbed by the woman. He had pulled out the knife and was screaming for help.

I believe the shooter did time and was sued for wrongful death.

Owning a gun is a significant right. It is also a primary defense against anyone intruding someone's property. In many cases conceal carry is appropriate. But one had better be damned well trained before taking that weapon past one's property boundaries.

slipstream

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 24, 2013, 12:21:50 PM
That's certainly a point, but the Mail said it had quotes from former girlfriends.  Do you say that they make up quotes?  Or that they shade the news to Fleet Street standards?

What Yorkshire Pud really means is that the Daily Mail is not politically correct enough.   

stevesh

Quote from: onan on May 25, 2013, 06:31:37 AM

A recent recipeint of a NC ccw permit came upon a man and woman fighting. The man was holding a knife. He had a large amount of blood on his clothing. He was yelling and appeared to be holding the knife above his head.

The new ccw person drew his weapon and fired hitting the man with the knife in the chest killing him. Upon investigation the deceased man had been stabbed by the woman. He had pulled out the knife and was screaming for help.

I believe the shooter did time and was sued for wrongful death.

Owning a gun is a significant right. It is also a primary defense against anyone intruding someone's property. In many cases conceal carry is appropriate. But one had better be damned well trained before taking that weapon past one's property boundaries.

I agree wholeheatedly, but it's my guess that any trained law enforcement officer would also have shot the man in that scenario, if he wouldn't respond to commands to drop the knife.

The NRA agrees with you. The course that's required for a Michigan CPL is called Personal Protection Inside the Home. About a year ago, the NRA released a course called Personal Protection Outside the Home, after the proposed course materials spent twelve years making their way through the NRA legal department.

Quote from: Sardondi on May 24, 2013, 09:35:36 AM
Betcha they were "honor students", Bonfire of the Vanities style.

wuz jus tunin' dey life aroun' nsheet.

A ccw is to protect yourself, not play cop. However, if it's obvious someone has shown murderous intent by inflicting great bodily harm on someone next to me, I think it's reasonable to think he could continue against bystanders such as the ccw holder, and therefore one would be justified in shooting.

Quote from: onan on May 19, 2013, 08:05:33 PM

OK bone head... lets follow your secenario out. Madman Obama declares all guns illegal and you and your posse start the new US militia and you start fighting... who? What target are you going after? And once you get your battle going and lets say you take out some infrastructure and the result is reducing the US to a third world country... now who steps in to manage the disarray? China? The Russian Federation? The lack of foresight is beyond stupid.

Christ, don't be so childish. It would not play out like that, see my Mexico example. What you get is regional chaos between strongmen and a civilian population caught in the middle with no means to defend themselves. In the scenario you laid out, you'd have low level chaos, the military would secure anything vital, and the government would be forced to back down. There is not a military on earth capable of subduing a civillian armed populace the size and scope that exists in the US. The US military is unable to subdue an enemy a fraction of that size in Afghanistan. The US government ended the Reconstruction because of it. We defeated Iraq, then a few years later we paid off Saddaam's former henchmen and gave them the Iraqi Army because of it, and don't forget a little thing called Vietnam. The only way to root out a low level resisting armed populace is to scorch the earth and salt it, something that has become untenable in this day and age.

But whatever, my position is this: an armed civilian population provides an important check against tyranny both within the nation, and without. I think history has proven this, both here and elsewhere. Because I feel gun owners have such a vital national role to play, I believe military service or some other type of training by a civilian institution, such as the NRA and their programs or just your average gun or shooting clubs should be strongly encouraged for gun owners. Incentives could be used to encourage such training, such as exemptions from waiting periods, or lower taxes on ammo purchases, etc. I want gun owners to be responsible, I just don't think giving the Feds more power is the way to go about it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: slipstream on May 25, 2013, 07:47:25 AM

What Yorkshire Pud really means is that the Daily Mail is not politically correct enough.

As I said before, I'm not politically correct (your pet pseudo put down); but the Daily Mail (otherwise known in the UK as either the Daily Hate, the Daily Wail) caters for the hard of thinking, 'They're not like me so I don't trust them' fraternity.. As you have no first hand knowledge of it's editorial policies you don't really have any counter argument..But as I said in my previous post, it's the most sued newspaper in the UK. Their track record is littered with false and damaging crap that have caused real harm to innocent people..But if you think that's legitimate and non politically correct, lets's hope you or your family are never targeted.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: stevesh on May 25, 2013, 08:03:52 AM
I agree wholeheatedly, but it's my guess that any trained law enforcement officer would also have shot the man in that scenario, if he wouldn't respond to commands to drop the knife.

Really? What if the man was in shock? A man would be shot dead because he was not capable of doing what was demanded? Incredible.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Jackpine Savage on May 26, 2013, 09:55:40 PM
Christ, don't be so childish. It would not play out like that, see my Mexico example. What you get is regional chaos between strongmen and a civilian population caught in the middle with no means to defend themselves. In the scenario you laid out, you'd have low level chaos, the military would secure anything vital, and the government would be forced to back down. There is not a military on earth capable of subduing a civillian armed populace the size and scope that exists in the US.
Meanwhile, away from Hollywood and Steven Seagal and in the Realwordâ,,¢; what would happen is a return to a tribal (at best) scenario..Possibly down to district/ street level. What would happen with weeding out your friends/ relatives who were military personnel? Get a posse up with those you trust today to round em up and lynch them? In less than a week you would have a civil war, the difference being, it would be many different factions.You said it yourself; scope...It's a fanciful and ludicrous notion to think everyone will be fighting on the same side against da man. 300 million plus..if only half are armed that's 150 million individuals, who will rapidly seek self preservation, even if it means throwing their friends under the bus.

The US military is unable to subdue an enemy a fraction of that size in Afghanistan.

It's silly to compare Afghanistan with the USA. Afghans are tribal. The average Afghan has far less than a lot of western kids feel they have a 'right' to. But what they do have is an innate knowledge of their environment, and using it to their advantage. That is why no foreign power (UK, USSR, and now NATO) has ever defeated them.

The US government ended the Reconstruction because of it. We defeated Iraq, then a few years later we paid off Saddaam's former henchmen and gave them the Iraqi Army because of it, and don't forget a little thing called Vietnam. The only way to root out a low level resisting armed populace is to scorch the earth and salt it, something that has become untenable in this day and age.

Defeated Iraq? Really? I thought it was a war on terror and to oust SH. Of course it has involved the death of well over 100 000 innocent civilians and ongoing birth defects, but that's okay, because you don't have to see that, and anyway, they're not Americans. Some of the accounts that are still coming out are dreadful. No wonder their wrath was taken out on some mercenaries..If you go into any neighbourhood and behave like you own the joint, you'll piss off someone eventually, and they might just have a bigger gang at that moment. The link is something the previous US administration should have sleepless nights over, but won't. If this happened in the US, there would be more than a film made about it, of that you can be sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallujah,_The_Hidden_Massacre

But whatever, my position is this: an armed civilian population provides an important check against tyranny both within the nation, and without. I think history has proven this, both here and elsewhere

There is absolutely no proof to substantiate that. There's quite a lot to show an armed population have a generally oppressive government and have more civil unrest. (Afghanistan/ Most African countries/ Middle East/ Pakistan/ Some S American countries). Don't cite Switzerland; they have a society that depends on an appointed militia for defence, and anyone with a firearm is registered and certified to have one. Oh, and if they so much as shoot a deer but not cleanly, and it's discovered, they're in deep shit. 

Because I feel gun owners have such a vital national role to play,

Why? I can shoot, but I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to own a gun. Certainly I can't see how if I did, it would be a vital role in my country.

I believe military service or some other type of training by a civilian institution, such as the NRA and their programs or just your average gun or shooting clubs should be strongly encouraged for gun owners. Incentives could be used to encourage such training, such as exemptions from waiting periods, or lower taxes on ammo purchases, etc. I want gun owners to be responsible, I just don't think giving the Feds more power is the way to go about it.

I'm all for responsibility. However, when you have several thousend deaths from firearms, someone somewhere is not being. Violence breeds violence. 

Juan

Perhaps, Yorkie, you can comment on the 11-people who have been arrested for tweeting (or Facebooking) about the incident and how that relates to your free speech concepts.

stevesh

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 27, 2013, 02:21:39 AM

Really? What if the man was in shock? A man would be shot dead because he was not capable of doing what was demanded? Incredible.

I know you're about three-quarters troll, Pud, but notice I didn't say the cop should shoot the guy, just that he probably would, given that situation.

Quote from: stevesh on May 25, 2013, 08:03:52 AM
I agree wholeheatedly, but it's my guess that any trained law enforcement officer would also have shot the man in that scenario, if he wouldn't respond to commands to drop the knife...

This has been a disturbing trend in law 'enforcement' for the past what, 15 years or so.  The cops have taken the idea of shooting anyone pointing a weapon at them or intentionally endangering them to the point that anyone holding something in their hand is often simply shot - can openers, certainly toy guns, tools, knives, anything really.  The person is usually later described as 'crazy' or identified as a gang-banger who pulled a weapon out of his drooping pants - not that I really mind the cops shooting some of these punks, but who really knows for sure in these cases, we only hear the side of the person that isn't dead.

The other day I read somewhere that cops are being trained now to consider a cell phone to be a weapon. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 27, 2013, 03:51:14 AM
Perhaps, Yorkie, you can comment on the 11-people who have been arrested for tweeting (or Facebooking) about the incident and how that relates to your free speech concepts.

I wasn't aware of anyone being arrested..I'm not on farceberk. But (and I'm sticking my neck out here) I would imagine it's probably along the lines of racist comments. Now you can (and many do here!) argue the rights and wrongs of that and how it ties in with free speech ad infinitum. But twitter and FB are monitored for such things..A few days ago the wife of the speaker of the House of Commons was in court and had a charge of libel proved against her on her twitter account (Look up Sally Berkow) regarding an ex member of Thatchers government. The fact of the matter is, if someone is stupid enough to post racially inflammatory comments in a public domain, they should be prepared for it  being reported (because when all said and done, most are reported to FB and the police; probably by someone with an axe to grind) and dealt with.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: stevesh on May 27, 2013, 05:12:13 AM
I know you're about three-quarters troll, Pud, but notice I didn't say the cop should shoot the guy, just that he probably would, given that situation.

What I asked:

Where did I say you said he should?  ::)  In round figures?

I know troll is used when the questions are difficult to answer or goes against pre-ordained 'truth'..but I'll live with it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 27, 2013, 05:38:52 AM

This has been a disturbing trend in law 'enforcement' for the past what, 15 years or so.  The cops have taken the idea of shooting anyone pointing a weapon at them or intentionally endangering them to the point that anyone holding something in their hand is often simply shot - can openers, certainly toy guns, tools, knives, anything really.  The person is usually later described as 'crazy' or identified as a gang-banger who pulled a weapon out of his drooping pants - not that I really mind the cops shooting some of these punks, but who really knows for sure in these cases, we only hear the side of the person that isn't dead.

The other day I read somewhere that cops are being trained now to consider a cell phone to be a weapon.

If someone pointed replica firearm at you, how would you know? If what you say is true, and the police are trained to deal with such incidents, do you think the average Joe would make a more informed decision? No, neither do I.
And cell phones can be used as a weapon, they can be used to initiate a bomb.

Juan

There was a rather famous incident in New York years ago where a man was followed by the cops to his apartment, he was in the process of opening his door when the cops shouted at him.  He turned, the cops say something flashed, and shot him dead.  The flash was from his door key.

slipstream

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 27, 2013, 02:17:53 AM

As I said before, I'm not politically correct (your pet pseudo put down)

Yeah sure hehe, what a laugh.  You have all the correct positions.  I haven't come across any of your positions that weren't politically correct.     

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: slipstream on May 27, 2013, 08:36:33 AM

Yeah sure hehe, what a laugh.  You have all the correct positions.  I haven't come across any of your positions that weren't politically correct.   

Yeah, well I know it's going to be a cramp, but you should stop believing what you think.. As I also said before, I don't think you really know what PC means, and therefore you're stymied. You could of course call me liberal, but that won't insult me either. But it is gratifying that you've blessed me with having all the correct positions in your esteemed and worthy opinion..I'm indebted.  ;D

Sardondi

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 27, 2013, 10:15:00 AM

Yeah, well I know it's going to be a cramp, but you should stop believing what you think.. As I also said before, I don't think you really know what PC means, and therefore you're stymied. You could of course call me liberal, but that won't insult me either. But it is gratifying that you've blessed me with having all the correct positions in your esteemed and worthy opinion..I'm indebted.  ;D
Yorkie, seriously: have you ever, ever not had to have "the last word" in any exchange?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 27, 2013, 03:02:00 AM
Meanwhile, away from Hollywood and Steven Seagal and in the Realwordâ,,¢; what would happen is a return to a tribal (at best) scenario..Possibly down to district/ street level. What would happen with weeding out your friends/ relatives who were military personnel? Get a posse up with those you trust today to round em up and lynch them? In less than a week you would have a civil war, the difference being, it would be many different factions.You said it yourself; scope...It's a fanciful and ludicrous notion to think everyone will be fighting on the same side against da man. 300 million plus..if only half are armed that's 150 million individuals, who will rapidly seek self preservation, even if it means throwing their friends under the bus.

It's silly to compare Afghanistan with the USA. Afghans are tribal. The average Afghan has far less than a lot of western kids feel they have a 'right' to. But what they do have is an innate knowledge of their environment, and using it to their advantage. That is why no foreign power (UK, USSR, and now NATO) has ever defeated them.

Defeated Iraq? Really? I thought it was a war on terror and to oust SH. Of course it has involved the death of well over 100 000 innocent civilians and ongoing birth defects, but that's okay, because you don't have to see that, and anyway, they're not Americans. Some of the accounts that are still coming out are dreadful. No wonder their wrath was taken out on some mercenaries..If you go into any neighbourhood and behave like you own the joint, you'll piss off someone eventually, and they might just have a bigger gang at that moment. The link is something the previous US administration should have sleepless nights over, but won't. If this happened in the US, there would be more than a film made about it, of that you can be sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallujah,_The_Hidden_Massacre

There is absolutely no proof to substantiate that. There's quite a lot to show an armed population have a generally oppressive government and have more civil unrest. (Afghanistan/ Most African countries/ Middle East/ Pakistan/ Some S American countries). Don't cite Switzerland; they have a society that depends on an appointed militia for defence, and anyone with a firearm is registered and certified to have one. Oh, and if they so much as shoot a deer but not cleanly, and it's discovered, they're in deep shit. 

Why? I can shoot, but I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to own a gun. Certainly I can't see how if I did, it would be a vital role in my country.

I'm all for responsibility. However, when you have several thousend deaths from firearms, someone somewhere is not being. Violence breeds violence.

Holy shit pud, try to stay focused here, yer all over the map. We could not subdue Iraq because of the large amount of weapons distributed amoung the civilian populace. We tried to enforce de-Baathification, it didn't work, so we cut a deal with Sunni insurgents, paid them off with truck loads of cash, and had them assist us in mopping up the less well coordinated shiite groups. Oh, and we gave the Army back to the same guys who ran it for Saddam. I should know what happened, I was there. And people are people, westerners love to think it would never happen like that here, even though it has. So you think the iraqis were justified in ousting the 'mercenaries', yet its unthinkable to you that us or you may need do the same thing someday. Can't happen here. Famous last words.

And most firearm deaths are either suicides or gang related. There is no evidence restricting gun ownership would make these deaths go away, it would simply change the tools used in the case of suicide, or in the case of gang violence, weapons have never seemed too hard for the criminal element to get.

It's really funny being lectured by a European about western civilian populations needing no recourse to being targeted by tyrannical governments. Short memories over there. Do they put amnesia pills in the water or something?

onan

Quote from: Jackpine Savage on May 27, 2013, 12:03:06 PM

And most firearm deaths are either suicides or gang related. There is no evidence restricting gun ownership would make these deaths go away, it would simply change the tools used in the case of suicide, or in the case of gang violence, weapons have never seemed too hard for the criminal element to get.

This is, and it isn't meant as an insult, a simplistic assessment of suicide. Yes, you are correct a large percentage of male suicides are by gun. But it does not follow that another method will be as effective; quite the contrary actually. There is no backing out of a GSW to the brain. Other methods are less deadly.

Quote from: onan on May 27, 2013, 12:26:24 PM

This is, and it isn't meant as an insult, a simplistic assessment of suicide. Yes, you are correct a large percentage of male suicides are by gun. But it does not follow that another method will be as effective; quite the contrary actually. There is no backing out of a GSW to the brain. Other methods are less deadly.

True, I guess my point is just that if someone really wants to do themselves in, they'll find a way. I knew three guys from my hometown who killed themselves, only one used a gun. The other two hung themselves.

Sardondi

Here's one reason why it's "all guns all the time": a 5-year-old boy was suspended from classes - that's kindergarten, now - for 10 days for something he brought onto his school bus. What could it have been? An annoyance to those who had to clean up behind him, like a boxful of crickets? No. Something potentially dangerous, like Dad's N2O-fueled rocket, or maybe Granddad's nitroglycerine pills for his angina? No. Something technically considered contraband under state law, such as big brother's roach clip? Nope.

No, it was a toy cap gun, complete with that orange-plastic tip so that everyone can tell it's a toy. This 5 y.o. kid had gone to "Frontier Town" theme park, and wanted to show his buddies his cool new toy, so he sticks it in his backpack.

But it gets better. The kid was questioned, presumably by the principal, for two hours before the boy's parents were even called. Now, of course a principal can haul kids before him and grill 'em. But if the apparatchik bent on imposing the state mandated group-think on this 5 year-old asked a single question about the family's ownership of or attitudes about guns, or whether the kid had handled guns elsewhere or if daddy had guns (and you know s/he asked these things), I hope the family sues that principal and the board and whoever would have come up with and implemented such a stupid policy, in both their official and private capacities, for everything they've got.

This isn't about a kid taking a toy to school - although it most certainly should be, and should be handled just like times when a kid brings a transformer to school. This is about a kid, and a family, which violates the Government's instructions to think a certain way. Calvert County Maryland is trying to impose Right Thinking, that is, fear and hatred of not just firearms but toy firearms, as if the lumps of metal and plastic were possessed of some evil spirit apart from that of the humans possessing them. 

But I'm saving the best for last: the principal told the 5 year-old's mom that if the cap pistol had been "loaded" with caps, the "it would have been deemed an explosive and police would have been called in." A cap, which can be bought in literally thousands of places in Maryland, is an "explosive". Well call out the ATF, or whatever they're calling themselves today. Dear, sweet Christ, how do people keep from tarring and feathering such arrogant, officious asses?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/cowboy-style-cap-gun-gets-5-year-old-ousted-from-school-in-calvert-county/2013/05/30/a3a8a178-c93c-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html

Quote from: Sardondi on May 31, 2013, 07:11:44 AM
... This isn't about a kid taking a toy to school... to think a certain way... to impose Right Thinking...

Mao had his Long March, the Left here in America had theirs