• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Posting Custom Labels for Links- ie "Click Here"

Started by KnyeGuy, July 30, 2009, 03:30:43 AM

KnyeGuy

What script do we need to use in order to post links with our own labels?

In other words, how can we turn this:
www.*onlyanexample.com  

into this:
CLICK ME

Thanks ;)

HAL 9000

Follow my simply script example I've been using on this site for a while here:

Download:

Click: HERE to get the clip.

Most other forums follow this standard WITHOUT having to "do it yourself" - it's built-in to the software - apprently not on this forum, so far as I can see, so I wrote my own.

EvB

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you - but making links here is built in. 

You just pick you link (http//www.whatever.com)  create teh text you want - like "CLICK ME"  and you can bold or color it - but do that BEFORE you create the link (just fussy sometimes) "CLICK ME"  THEN highlight that text - click on the world icon above - and insert the URL in the dialog box.

"CLICK ME REALLY"

HAL 9000

Well, golly gee, sargeant Carter! Most forum software accomplishes it differently, and I tried a only a few diffent ways here and gave up - had an example on hand that I'd copy/paste then change. Of course, now I'm a very happy camper that there really is a button to do all that for me!

Thanks for the very valuable tip. I'm definitely into neat/tidy looking posts.

HAL 9000

Dammit! Some little tweak in the forum theme, or software seems to have happend - I've tried for ages to make certain text RED, but everytime I tried, it turned out beige I think. I can't rule out I missed something, but I always had tried to just sign a post:

V

In fact, I'm quite certain KnyeGuy's first post above - the color's weren't red but yellow - maybe my mind is going, like HAL9000 in 2010... but glad to see tat red's available, no matter how it got there. Yippie! V can be red now!

EvB

QuoteYippie! V can be red now!

I usually have unpredictable results with the format thing-a-ma-bob. a couple of others have said so as well - but for the most part, there have been few complaints. 

go figure.

I've NO idea what the issue is-  if any.

KnyeGuy

hmmmm...  I only get the code [ url ] [ /url ]  when clicking the 'insert hyperlink' button. It doesn't prompt me with a dialog to enter a url...

thus I just get a dead link...
Possible glitch?

EvB

Possible - but I don't do "back end" stuff and MV is AWOL for a couple of days - so we'll have to wait and see if he can fix it.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: EvB on July 31, 2009, 12:42:35 PM
Possible - but I don't do "back end" stuff and MV is AWOL for a couple of days - so we'll have to wait and see if he can fix it.

Meanwhile, Dr. Michael Van Doom retreats to his mountain villa to meditate on his next plan of action against the writhing hoards of George Noory supporters...

EvB

Now WHERE did you get that picture of Michael??

He doesn't give that one to just ANYONE you know! 

Marc.Knight

Quote from: EvB on July 31, 2009, 06:31:46 PM
Now WHERE did you get that picture of Michael??

He doesn't give that one to just ANYONE you know!

Yes, only a chosen few are allowed to hold a rare collection of images of the supreme master.  We reveal them to the great unwashed occasionally to bring hope and joy to the downtrodden soldiers of GNS.