• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on May 17, 2012, 01:41:17 PM
Well, you get your potheads and drunks as with any genre but c'mon you have to admit that the tie between coke and disco

I thought the 70's was the Pepsi generation?  ;)

Quote from: ziznak on May 17, 2012, 01:41:17 PM
...is like the tie between peanuts and butter.

Smooth, crunchy, or extra crunchy?  ;) Okay, all kidding aside, you're right that coke was HUGE during the disco era (not that I was in the clubs back then), but to paint all disco kings and queens with the same straw isn't right, either.

By the way, is that your kitty?

ziznak

I know I know ... I'm not saying that all of the disco fans were raving mad coke induced lunatics... it's just the first joke that came to mind and didn't involve me whining about the monotonous bass drum. 

haha and yeah thats "Diggz" the cat... a very old friend of mine.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Jasmine on May 17, 2012, 01:34:48 PM
Uh...I don't know who you've been receiving 70's history lessons from, but that aint true, kiddo.  :o Not everyone boogied down to blow back then, according to my parents.
I was only alive for 1652 days in the 1970's, but I will use my landlord's family, my own family and my neighbors as proof positive...that coke and disco were common in that era. Disco's rise in 1974-80 can only be attributed to bad taste brought on by excessive drug use.

Jasmine

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 17, 2012, 02:11:11 PM
        I was only alive for 1652 days in the 1970's, but I will use my landlord's family, my own family and my neighbors as proof positive...that coke and disco were common in that era.

I don't disagree, Eddie. I'm just stating that not everyone who was into disco and did the club scene back then did it, as ziznak alleged.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 17, 2012, 02:11:11 PM
Disco's rise in 1974-80 can only be attributed to bad taste brought on by excessive drug use.

Uh...oooookaaay.  ;)

Quote from: ziznak on May 17, 2012, 01:57:49 PM
haha and yeah thats "Diggz" the cat... a very old friend of mine.

Awwww....so sweet. I diggz the name, too. I have a three year old black cat, a silky handsome guy named Pushkin. He's a Russian poet in his soul.  ;)

ziznak

Quote from: Jasmine on May 17, 2012, 02:35:03 PM
I don't disagree, Eddie. I'm just stating that not everyone who was into disco and did the club scene back then did it, as ziznak alleged.

Uh...oooookaaay.  ;)

Awwww....so sweet. I diggz the name, too. I have a three year old black cat, a silky handsome guy named Pushkin. He's a Russian poet in his soul.  ;)

Well thank you for the much needed "messin with" I totally understand that.  I think in a way you were just defending your recovering parents... touchy subject i get it... :P

I live with a small family of three feline children... mom dad and the retarded love-child Slushy... from the second litter... yeah I've had two litters under my care and that was it... Diggie has never forgiven me about removing his nuts years back.  My human offspring (fortunately for him) doesn't have to live in my hole of an apt.  Diggz doesn't play well with children.  Cats are the shit I have to say... very colorful life-forms.  You'll see the other two I change my avy like every week.

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on May 17, 2012, 02:56:23 PM
I think in a way you were just defending your recovering parents... touchy subject i get it... :P

I....I...uh...don't know what you're...talking about (donning my dark sunglasses). My parents were just...high spirited dancing fools back in the 70's....yes...yes...that's it.

Quote from: ziznak on May 17, 2012, 02:56:23 PM
I live with a small family of three feline children... mom dad and the retarded love-child Slushy... from the second litter... yeah I've had two litters under my care and that was it... Diggie has never forgiven me about removing his nuts years back.  My human offspring (fortunately for him) doesn't have to live in my hole of an apt.  Diggz doesn't play well with children.  Cats are the shit I have to say... very colorful life-forms.  You'll see the other two I change my avy like every week.

Retardation in any way, shape, or form is so special and sweet, I always say, and any cat who undergoes a sex change is the cat's tranny's meow. My cat, Pushkin, is a very proud and regal creature...yet also very affectionate. Which, I must say, is a good thing, or else mommy would toss him in the damn microwave....uh....oh...excuse me...disregard that statement.

McPhallus

I'm not a disco fan, but in a world where nearly every genre of pop music (indie, metal, rock, adult contemporary, etc.) is infested with absolute dog shit, that 70s stuff nearly becomes art by comparison.  This despite all the modern technology.

Quote from: ziznak on May 17, 2012, 01:30:21 PM
Even the people who listened to disco when it was popular only did so for the killer blow that seemed to follow.

Wild Card Guy

Donna summer was a beautiful woman with an equally beautiful voice, a sensational voice. I never liked disco at all, but yeah, I agree, "I Feel Love" is one catchy and memorable tune with a timeless beat. She had a rocking sense of humor, and you never got the impression that she was a diva. It's just too bad that later in her life, what with her talent, she didn't really get into recording a lot more awesome R&B. The woman was born to belt out R&B tunes, not disco, in my humble opinion.

Ciao, Queen of the 70's dance floor. Whether you liked her music or not, she was a significant member of a flamboyant and fun-filled show parade that has passed by, but the memories remain.

JohnnieB

Quote from: Wild Card Guy on May 17, 2012, 03:56:54 PM
Donna summer was a beautiful woman with an equally beautiful voice, a sensational voice.

I for one am very sad to hear of this remarkably talented woman's death. She had an absolutely phenomenal presence and puts many of today's so-called talents to shame. It's not about her genre, it's about her talent.

I too wasn't a huge disco fan, but dear God, just listen to her fantastic  1999 rendition of Con Te Partiro. I'm sorry she she is no longer on this earth.

Donna Summer I Will Go With You Con Te Partiro 1999

Jasmine

I had completely forgotten about Donna's version of this classic piece. It's "disco meets opera" and, for me, it works! Her rendition is joyous and uplifting - a pendulum swing from the somber tone when Andrea Bocelli sang it (love Bocelli's rendition, too). Damn if this girl didn't have one hell of a voice and a pretty good octave range. Thanks for uploading this, JohnnieB. Plus, Donna looked FABULOUS in Con Te Partiro...I loved her hair and wardrobe selections, and her makeup was perfection, don't you men agree?

C'mon you guys, I love rock, classical, and blues, but disco is cheesy and fun. You guys need to get down and boogie and shake your groove thangs!

Lovely Bones

Quote from: McPhallus on May 17, 2012, 03:52:21 PM
I'm not a disco fan, but in a world where nearly every genre of pop music (indie, metal, rock, adult contemporary, etc.) is infested with absolute dog shit, that 70s stuff nearly becomes art by comparison.  This despite all the modern technology.

After watching a few performances recently (e.g., Nikki Minaj, LMFAO), I found myself drawing a similar conclusion, which of course is only to say that **by comparison** I realize I must move disco up a notch, or perhaps create a few lower rungs than I previously had on my musical scales.  For the most part, I would still agree with Eddie about the nail thing. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Jasmine on May 18, 2012, 06:01:30 AM

C'mon you guys, I love rock, classical, and blues, but disco is cheesy and fun. You guys need to get down and boogie and shake your groove thangs!

I paid so little attention to disco back in the '70's that I would never have noticed this, but some of the music folks commenting on Summer's death yesterday observed that Summer was distinctly different from other disco singers of the '70's precisely in **NOT** focusing on the cheesy "get down and boogie and shake your groove thang" lyrics but instead incorporating love themes into disco beats.

But, as I say, I wasn't paying attention.  I'm musically eclectic, but not that open-minded when it comes to the disco era, given what it killed. 

Eddie Coyle

My beef with disco is that it severely diminished more traditional R&B. Granted, it's multifactorial, but a great many artists saw their fortunes wane whether it was Sly Stone,Stevie Wonder,Aretha Franklin,Issac Hayes...hell, even Elton John, were all lessened by their dalliances with disco. By 1977 disco was a corporate Leviathan, filling malls and roller rinks and movie theaters and making established artists sell out in the worst way. Even Electric Light Orchestra took the dive on the  hit '79 album "Discovery"...which cynics call "Disco-very"

I was 4 when "Funkytown" was released...but even that age I had the perspicacity to see that disco's death knell was rung quite sonorously. The Bruce Jenner/Village People fiasco "Can't Stop The Music" followed a few months later...disco was deader than Dillinger.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 18, 2012, 09:24:31 AM

My beef with disco is that it severely diminished more traditional R&B. Granted, it's multifactorial, but a great many artists saw their fortunes wane whether it was Sly Stone,Stevie Wonder,Aretha Franklin,Issac Hayes...hell, even Elton John, were all lessened by their dalliances with disco. By 1977 disco was a corporate Leviathan, filling malls and roller rinks and movie theaters and making established artists sell out in the worst way. Even Electric Light Orchestra took the dive on the  hit '79 album "Discovery"...which cynics call "Disco-very"

Exactly what I meant above by "given what it killed."  Only you said it better. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 18, 2012, 09:47:28 AM
Exactly what I meant above by "given what it killed."  Only you said it better.
I caught your drift completely. Had disco been a separate sub-genre, I wouldn't hate it. But it's cross contamination was so vast, that it was impossible to ignore. How Rod Stewart went from "Gasoline Alley" to "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" is tragic, that the Stones("Miss You") and the Kinks ("I Wish I Could Fly Like Superman") felt compelled to attempt disco shows how pervasive it was.
To see Stax and Motown be supplanted by the likes of Casablanca is devolution defined. 

Wild Card Guy

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 18, 2012, 09:24:31 AM

I was 4 when "Funkytown" was released...but even that age I had the perspicacity to see that disco's death knell was rung quite sonorously. The Bruce Jenner/Village People fiasco "Can't Stop The Music" followed a few months later...disco was deader than Dillinger.       

Astute observations, and I concur. R&B took some pretty heavy hits during this era, much to my chagrin. I still cringe whenever I hear the atrocious "Disco Duck". Could they have lowered the bar any more? That was the nadir of the era.

I had completely forgotten about Donna's version of this classic piece. It's "disco meets opera" and, for me, it works! Her rendition is joyous and uplifting - a pendulum swing from the somber tone when Andrea Bocelli sang it (love Bocelli's rendition, too). Damn if this girl didn't have one hell of a voice and a pretty good octave range. Thanks for uploading this, JohnnieB. Plus, Donna looked FABULOUS in Con Te Partiro...I loved her hair and wardrobe selections, and her makeup was perfection, don't you men agree?

She did this timeless piece proud, I must say. It would have been wonderful if she and Bocelli had performed it together. Her voice shines through, and I'm very discriminating when it comes to music and performers. Donna Summer could go into the ring with a host of classical singers (Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, etc.) and hold her own. By the way, did you know that she DID in fact sing opera when working in Europe - and in fluent German, no less?

As my wunderbar wife said to me last night, Donna Summer was always distinctly above her material; all you have to do is delve just below the surface of her songs (which in fact were in their own sub-category) to recognize this. She transcended disco. I agreed. To reiterate, Summer SHOULD have delved into R&B with gusto - she most certainly had "it", and would have taken her already successful career to another level.

Summer's "I Feel Love" is the ONE disco song that I actually quite like; the beat, percussion, and precision is flawless.

I'll sit this one out, Jasmine!  ;) But you know, I think that, overall,  people I know in my life need to get off their high horses and just learn to let their hair down and have fun, for crying out loud, myself included. And yes, I will admit, as much as I and others I know critique disco, that in the end, it was and is simply "fun" music that so many have enjoyed and have momentarily forgotten their troubles while dancing to it. So who am I to argue with that?

Jasmine

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 18, 2012, 08:59:52 AM
I paid so little attention to disco back in the '70's that I would never have noticed this, but some of the music folks commenting on Summer's death yesterday observed that Summer was distinctly different from other disco singers of the '70's precisely in **NOT** focusing on the cheesy "get down and boogie and shake your groove thang" lyrics but instead incorporating love themes into disco beats.

But, as I say, I wasn't paying attention.  I'm musically eclectic, but not that open-minded when it comes to the disco era, given what it killed.

As much as I appreciated Summer's voice and talent, I beg to kindly disagree with with the "music folks" re her lyrics not being "cheesy disco".  These people are either deaf or mentally challenged. The following, to me, are not "love themes", but are rather "lust themes"!  Not to mention her recording of simulated multiple orgasm sounds (moans) in her "Love to Love You, Baby" hit.  ;)

Excerpt of lyrics from Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff"

Sittin' here eatin' my heart out waitin'
Waitin' for some lover to call
Dialed about a thousand numbers lately
Almost rang the phone off the wall

Lookin' for some hot stuff baby this evenin'
I need some hot stuff baby tonight
I want some hot stuff baby this evenin'
Gotta have some hot stuff
Gotta have some lovin' tonight
I need hot stuff
I want some hot stuff

Excerpt of lyrics from Donna Summer's "Bad Girls"

See them out on the street at night, walkin'
Picking up on all kinds of strangers
If the price is right
You can't score if you're pocket's tight
But you want a good time

You ask yourself who they are
Like everybody else, they come from near and far

Bad girls
Talking about the sad girls
Sad girls
Talking about bad girls, yeah

Friday night, and the strip is hot
Sun's gone down, and they're out to trot
Spirit's high, and legs look hot
Do you want to get down?

Sad girls; you're such a dirty, bad girl
Toot Toot, uh, uh, Beep, Beep,
You bad girl, you sad girl
You're such a dirty, bad girl
Toot toot, uh, uh, Beep, Beep,
uh, uh

Jasmine

Quote from: Wild Card Guy on May 18, 2012, 11:35:33 AM
Astute observations, and I concur. R&B took some pretty heavy hits during this era, much to my chagrin. I still cringe whenever I hear the atrocious "Disco Duck". Could they have lowered the bar any more? That was the nadir of the era.

Disco Duck is pure genius....like...oh, I dunno, like the concept behind "Gilligan's Island". Stevie Wonder and Sly Stone have nothing on Rick Dees. Crank this tune up and enjoy, guys!  ;D

LOL!  Roll over, Beethoven!

disco duck

ziznak

this thread has totally derailed in such a nightmarish way... can we please talk about death again?

McPhallus

1999.... That would've put her at about 50.

Black don't crack.

gs2offroad

Another disco era passing:  Robin Gibb dies at 62...

analog kid

Summer was quite the fox in the 70s.

b_dubb

Quote from: analog kid on May 20, 2012, 05:24:24 PM
Summer was quite the fox in the 70s.

talented.  hot.  the chick on the left ain't bad either. 

who's the gabe kaplan look alike?  agent? dj?

ziznak

Quote from: b_dubb on May 21, 2012, 02:07:39 PM

That's a young Ron Jeremy... they hooked up back in the day.  You didn't know that?

analog kid

I'm guessing, but I think the guy is the proprietor of that infamous disco night club in New York, that had a movie based around it.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: b_dubb on May 21, 2012, 02:07:39 PM

Oh you elementary people...

It's Giorgio Moroder. AKA the guy who did "The Chase" from Midnight Express. Also doubling as C2C's theme song.

ziznak

OMG eddie you are the shit.  I always wanted to know where the c2c theme came from.  It always sounded like something from the 'scarface' soundtrack to me.  Finally this mystery is solved.
Giorgio Moroder - Chase (Midnight Express Extended 8.30 Trailer)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ziznak on May 21, 2012, 04:43:08 PM
OMG eddie you are the shit.  I always wanted to know where the c2c theme came from.  It always sounded like something from the 'scarface' soundtrack to me.  Finally this mystery is solved.
Giorgio Moroder - Chase (Midnight Express Extended 8.30 Trailer)

Believe it or not, "The Chase" was a top 40 single, (hit # 33 in 3/79)...I wish Moroder would sue and keep Noory from using it.

Zircon

Quote from: slipstream on September 03, 2010, 03:52:00 PM
I haven't seen this guy in years. He sure was a trip in both style and content.

Yeah, loved this guy's program.
Yep, I liked this guy. Mr. Rogers was another really nice person for the world to have. It was a better place with either or both.

Eddie Coyle

I'm sure nobody cares: Pete Cosey, guitarist for Muddy Waters in late 60's, and Miles Davis in the mid 70's...dead at 68.