• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 30, 2019, 06:01:16 PM
BBC News - Neil Innes: Monty Python songwriter dies aged 75
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50948921

Innes was also a member of 1970s Bonzo Dog Band, and gave us such amazing songs as "Noises for the Leg," "We Are Normal," and my personal favorite, "The Intro and the Outro."

He was also the John character, Ron Nasty, in the movie The Rutles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3MLqJ8Cekc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54KBPA20b9Q&t=9s

Hog

Caroll Spinney, puppeteer behind beloved Sesame Street characters Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch died December 8th/2019.

https://www.sesameworkshop.org/press-room/press-releases/remembering-legendary-puppeteer-caroll-spinney

Apparently he was supposed to ride a space shuttle as "Big Bird", but instead the Teacher in SPace project got the ride instead.  Christa McAuliffe got the seat instead of Big Bird.  At least Big Bird could have flown to safety provided his feathers weren't singed.

peace
Hog

Juan

Neil Pert - 67.  What’s Solaris Blueraven’s alabi?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Juan on January 10, 2020, 03:39:10 PM

Wow.

Lilith

I just heard about a half hour ago...

aldousburbank

Ugh

whoozit

Oof

K_Dubb

I have no idea who this is but ok.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 10, 2020, 05:22:34 PM
I have no idea who this is but ok.

He was the drummer and (you should appreciate this) lyricist for the band Rush. Also apropos to this board, he was very influenced by the books of Ayn Rand. Get to know him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRPEfACJhw

aldousburbank

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 10, 2020, 05:41:04 PM
He was the drummer and (you should appreciate this) lyricist for the band Rush. Also apropos to this board, he was very influenced by the books of Ayn Rand. Get to know him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRPEfACJhw

I am almost always completely unfazed by any sort of “celebrity” death and dismissive of people who claim to be heartbroken or otherwise affected by that. But this one really bums me out. I’m so glad that I made the effort to see their NYC, Vegas, and Phoenix shows on their last tour in 2015.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 10, 2020, 05:55:20 PM
I am almost always completely unfazed by any sort of “celebrity” death and dismissive of people who claim to be heartbroken or otherwise affected by that. But this one really bums me out. I’m so glad that I made the effort to see their NYC, Vegas, and Phoenix shows on their last tour in 2015.

Yeah, I heard someone mention his age on the radio earlier today and I thought it must be his birthday. It wasn’t until I was driving home that I heard he died. I literally felt shocked to hear it. I feel fortunate to have seen him live. When I was in high school me and a few buddies decided to drive up to Toronto to see them play at Maple Leaf Gardens. We didn’t even have tickets. We just thought we’ll either find tickets from a scalper or just have a fun road trip. We found our tickets and at first I was a little bummed out that they were in the nosebleeds. However, I soon realized that this afforded me a perfect overhead view of Peart playing. One the best shows ever! 8)

albrecht

Ouch. But also ha. Is she atill on Revolution Radio? Does that even exist since whats-his-name died? I also thought Canada had awesome healthcare?

aldousburbank

Quote from: albrecht on January 10, 2020, 06:12:42 PM

Ouch. But also ha. Is she atill on Revolution Radio? Does that even exist since whats-his-name died? I also thought Canada had awesome healthcare?
He was in Santa Monica.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 10, 2020, 06:02:05 PM
Yeah, I heard someone mention his age on the radio earlier today and I thought it must be his birthday. It wasn’t until I was driving home that I heard he died. I literally felt shocked to hear it. I feel fortunate to have seen him live. When I was in high school me and a few buddies decided to drive up to Toronto to see them play at Maple Leaf Gardens. We didn’t even have tickets. We just thought we’ll either find tickets from a scalper or just have a fun road trip. We found our tickets and at first I was a little bummed out that they were in the nosebleeds. However, I soon realized that this afforded me a perfect overhead view of Peart playing. One the best shows ever! 8)

I very much disliked Rush for most of my life. In December 2014 I had a NDE (long story) which somehow changed all that. Some of my friends think it was brain damage but suddenly I loved Rush. I understood Rush. The shows I saw that next summer were the most amazing live performances I’ve ever witnessed, even surpassing a particularly glorious show in Reno by Neil Young and Crazy Horse and a brilliant acoustic set in Tucson by Los Lobos. Fuck you death! I’m going to have a beer or two and listen to Vapor Trails.  :'(

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 10, 2020, 06:28:09 PM
He was in Santa Monica.

I very much disliked Rush for most of my life. In December 2014 I had a NDE (long story) which somehow changed all that. Some of my friends think it was brain damage but suddenly I loved Rush. I understood Rush. The shows I saw that next summer were the most amazing live performances I’ve ever witnessed, even surpassing a particularly glorious show in Reno by Neil Young and Crazy Horse and a brilliant acoustic set in Tucson by Los Lobos. Fuck you death! I’m going to have a beer or two and listen to Vapor Trails.  :'(

Cool story! Did you hear Rush music in your NDE?

I always liked them but my appreciation for them has grown over the years. I wish I had gone to more shows than just that one. Yeah, drinks for sure.

whoozit

The thing that bothers me the most is that there is no chance to see Rush live again.  I saw them for the first time on the Signals tour and every tour after except for the final tour.  I seriously doubt Alex or Geddy will ever play Rush songs again either.

albrecht

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 10, 2020, 06:28:09 PM
He was in Santa Monica.

Santa Monica, so fire smoke and US healthcare system related. I had a relative who went in after the most recent fires. Previously had a condition, new heart valves due to Rheumatic fever as a kid, and lung issues. She told me her bill was for $55K but her co-pay was $18. Amazing how much hospital time, no surgery even, costs is billed. Being CA I suspect some of that payment is covering uninsured and illegals.....
I fondly recall your RUSH tour and comments; some would say obsession. I, alas, never seen them live but they are so tight. Also, as a side-note, my experience is a lot of engineers of a certain ago love them. It is, sorta weird phenomena.

whoozit

I also got to see this with one of my daughters at the (new) Boston Garden.  https://youtu.be/5_mbYzM8axo
Alex’s guitar went out during the second set finale but he didn’t notice.  When they came out for the encore he found out.

Got to see this gem in Manchester NH during technical difficulties:
https://youtu.be/Px_Y00XfOLA

aldousburbank

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 10, 2020, 06:33:38 PM
Cool story! Did you hear Rush music in your NDE?

No. But right after that happened I heard Closer To The Heart, which I always thought was gay and stupid. I mean, who uses a glockenspiel in rock and roll? Well stupid Springsteen maybe. But anyway, when I heard that my brain just imprinted on the beauty and I’ve been fucked for Rush ever since- much to the chagrin of a certain lady and some others whom I love.

whoozit

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 10, 2020, 06:47:33 PM
No. But right after that happened I heard Closer To The Heart, which I always thought was gay and stupid. I mean, who uses a glockenspiel in rock and roll? Well stupid Springsteen maybe. But anyway, when I heard that my brain just imprinted on the beauty and I’ve been fucked for Rush ever since- much to the chagrin of a certain lady and some others whom I love.
Are you better at math after the NDE?  This is a genuine question I’m not being a smartass.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 10, 2020, 06:47:33 PM

Fuck yeah! It’s a great song...when the guitar rips in on Philosphers and plowmen... Righetous! 8)

aldousburbank

Quote from: whoozit on January 10, 2020, 06:50:32 PM
Are you better at math after the NDE?  This is a genuine question I’m not being a smartass.

It did nothing for my computational skills, which were already pretty decent. But it did apparently deepen my appreciation of music.

PS- On the bright side, the day Peart died my newest granddaughter was born.  8)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 10, 2020, 06:58:11 PM
It did nothing for my computational skills, which were already pretty decent. But it did apparently deepen my appreciation of music.

PS- On the bright side, the day Peart died my newest granddaughter was born.  8)

Congrat, Grandpa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdI7uqCBKd0

Uncle Duke

Sorry to hear of Peart's death, have seen Rush at least 6-7 times going back to my college days.  Great drummer, but sadly not a musician who cared much for his fans. 

aldousburbank

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 10, 2020, 08:14:58 PM
Sorry to hear of Peart's death, have seen Rush at least 6-7 times going back to my college days.  Great drummer, but sadly not a musician who cared much for his fans.

Which inspired Limelight.

https://youtu.be/ZiRuj2_czzw

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 10, 2020, 08:14:58 PM

Why do you say that?

Lilith

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 10, 2020, 06:58:11 PM

Congratulations!   :)