• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

EvB

Quote from: admin on April 24, 2008, 11:27:34 PM
Quote from: Camazotz Automat on April 24, 2008, 05:30:08 PM
...in light of my participating on a site titled coastgab.com, the snide bovine is already out of the barn - so to speak.
Quote from: Camazotz Automat on April 24, 2008, 05:30:08 PM
On the offhand (very offhand) chance Ian were to peruse this site...

response to quote number 1:  point well made.

response to quote number 2:  don't be so sure about that.  i happen to know for a fact there is at least one coast to coast host perusing this site and getting a good chuckle out of it all.  sorry, but i've promised not to say who.

p.s.
george noory sucks.
just thought i'd throw that in as a random act.

I dunno about that!  I mean - I GET your point but how would it be, really, if we started bashing ART (and I don't mean our resident "JC" or the odd troll.  I mean well constructed, but highly critical, posts?  I suspect one or more of you will say "That's okay too" but it's not.  Or rather - i think the over all response would be quite different.

That said - I'm not really spending a lot of "distressed time" over human snarkyness.  I can be pretty snarky myself!

And Admin?  Did you forget to cross your fingers behind your back AGAIN!?

Siiiiiiiiiiigh

Ev

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on April 25, 2008, 04:40:25 PM
And Admin?  Did you forget to cross your fingers behind your back AGAIN!?
why do u ask?

EvB

I was just referring to your promise and wishing, like you, that you could tell.

MV/Liberace!

ah... i understand clearly now...  haha... wow i'm a douche.  and the answer to your question is a categorical YESSSS.  heh heh.

For anybody that listened to Ian tonite(Fri), what did you think of his opening and his view of the Steve Quayle situation?

I was caught completely off guard by Ian's "regret" at having been adversarial with Quayle.  If anyone was a "roaring lion in the wilderness" that night, it was Q. 

Despite my having earlier described Ian as "attacking," in truth, Ian's technique was near transparent and below radar methodical - not sufficiently aggressive to cause Q's meltdown (which made it that much more amusing.) 

Ian was merely attempting to guide Q back to the agreed upon topic and finally had to actually counter some of Q's points.

(get it?  I.Q. points? Ian/Qualye? HAR HAR HAR [cough cough] )

I can not discern if Ian really feels regret or if the fallout from Uncle Horus was all too real and Ian is performing a type of damage control.  Whatever the case, I must imagine Ian knows what he is doing.

It appears there was a price to pay:  I found last weekend's confrontation exceptional radio - but this Friday's announcement bordered on painful.

None of this need to have happened if Q:The Winged Serpent wasn't so overly sensitive.

Please. Someone bitch-slap me if I ever exhibit such a tendency.   

Call the wives, wake the kids, because for once (finally) I am near speechless. 

I will say this: Ian certainly had no reason to feel regret about turning over a money changer's table in the Temple.

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 24, 2008, 10:06:49 PM
Camazotz, brotha, you don't only amuse yourself. And I do believe that "Don Rickles Educated" would be the apropos tag for your genre of humour. Your show of humility is commendable, but "Rickles lite" doesn't quite do you justice. I'd even be inclined to say a cocktail of "Don Rickles/Dennis Miller on LSD & Speed".

Phan, you are much too kind. (laughing) Don and Dennis bring an entirely new meaning to D&D I won't soon forget.  Not surprisingly, I am a fan of both.  As far as preferred psychonaut transport, make mine Psilocybin in the Netherlands or Ayahuasca in Peru and hopefully I will run into Tom Robbins while sampling any such "God flesh."  Regarding "speed" ... perhaps mainlining David Lynch's organic Signature Cup coffee blend would provide a much needed zip in my mental and actual step:

http://ecomm.davidlynch.com/catalog/coffee.php

Disgusted

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 26, 2008, 02:48:13 AM
For anybody that listened to Ian tonite(Fri), what did you think of his opening and his view of the Steve Quayle situation?
I couldn't care less.  The only thing he needs to apologize for is his topics.  He needs to fill in for Larry King - not C2C.

EvB

I think he caught some serious flack - both from his own conscience (not that i wouldn't have wanted to treat Quale the same or worse!) and from specific others - George in particular whom he mentions in the opening "mea culpa"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on April 26, 2008, 10:18:22 PM
...George in particular whom he mentions in the opening "mea culpa"
i didn't hear this, but if george was in ANY part the inspiration behind his contrition, i'm against it.  call it my natural, inborn reaction.

moop

Ian's apology was embarrassing to listen to. I thought he over did it with how he failed in his professional responsibilities etc. and i guess George had taken some heat via email. So what! George fails at being a competent radio host every night! Why don't we hear someone apologize for that?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: moop on April 26, 2008, 10:40:40 PM
So what! George fails at being a competent radio host every night! Why don't we hear someone apologize for that?
you have just pointed out the inherent lack of justice plaguing the world in which we live.  brilliant observation.

Quote from: Disgusted on April 26, 2008, 08:06:36 PM
Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 26, 2008, 02:48:13 AM
I couldn't care less.  The only thing he needs to apologize for is his topics.  He needs to fill in for Larry King - not C2C.

This is an off topic observation I will feel compelled to delete later,  but I really appreciate Disgusted stating his opinion correctly.

I don't know how many times people have said "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less." 

If you could care less, then why don't you flipping do so?

I have been known to bring it to the offender's attention and he looks me dead in the eye, saliva running out of the corner of his mouth and quips wittily, "Well, Camazotz, I could care less about what ya think."

There are some gulfs I just can not cross.

I have to say that after listening to Ian for a weekends now, I'm really warming up to the guy. He's verbally dynamic and sharp, and can really have a good back-and-forth with his guests. It's a nice change of pace when he hosts.

techster

Ian is for the most part a lightweight.  Way back in about 2000 or so in Ian's first C2C gig a caller dubbed him "churchboy."  Very apropos.  And you could tell by his reaction that Ian was hurt by it.  He didn't like it one bit.  But it fit.  That said, give him the right topic, like DB Cooper or the Happy Face Killer, and Ian does very well.

Ian was extremely rude to Steve Quayle.  Quayle has been a guest on C2C enough times that he's a known commodity.  Everybody should know that he's an end-times the world-is-going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket kind of guy.  It's stuff he takes very seriously.  Ian had to know it.  Ian had him as a guest on the pretense of something else, but it was clear that it was just so he could pick a fight with him.  Quayle just said, look we see things differently, and if I'd known I'd never have agreed to come on here."  Ian wouldn't back off though.  He did come back next week and apologize profusely.

EvB

Quote from: techster on May 04, 2008, 09:44:17 PM

Ian was extremely rude to Steve Quayle.  Quayle has been a guest on C2C enough times that he's a known commodity.  Everybody should know that he's an end-times the world-is-going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket kind of guy.  It's stuff he takes very seriously.  Ian had to know it.  Ian had him as a guest on the pretense of something else, but it was clear that it was just so he could pick a fight with him.  Quayle just said, look we see things differently, and if I'd known I'd never have agreed to come on here."  Ian wouldn't back off though.  He did come back next week and apologize profusely.

It's true Ian was far from gracious.  I'm not sure "rude" applies - not so much because he wasn't, but because adversarial interactions take place on C2C fairly often.  This one, I admit, was more uncomfortable than entertaining.  But not being familiar with Quayle before now I was on Ian's side as it happened.

That said - I believe Ian when he says it was a result of lousy communication and his - perhaps ill conceived - notion that  they would have a more mutual conversation. I wish I could remember the exact phrase Ian used before the fact, but it was along the lines of "conversation partner." The only chance of that being a realistic outcome - slim as it was - would have come from Ian communicating that clearly and directly to Mr. Quayle in advance and negotiating the format.  Apparently that didn't happen.  Ian wanted the chance for a dialog.  Quayle wanted his usual diatribe.   I would have been more interested if Ian had gotten his wish - but that doesn't mean it was handled well.

And YES - Ian is a "Church Boy."  What's the problem? What he's not is a fundamentalist ass. It was Mr. Quayle who wanted to thump his personal text, as he has so many times before (so I hear) Quayle's subject is dear to Ian's heart as well. He wanted to give it all a broader spin. He also had a very real concern for the impact that "doom and gloom" could have on some listeners.  I happen to know from personal experience that Ian will take the time to answer emails (not always, and less so now than before, I'm guessing it all got too overwhelming) and that when he did it was never boiler-plate.  It was personal, and thoughtful. I have no doubt that the story he told during his apology about the listener that wrote to ask Ian to talk him out of suicide after a particularly grim show is true. A "lightweight" would never have taken that so to heart and committed himself to "offering hope."  That's not showmanship - that's genuine humanity.

So - maybe Ian was looking for something that is not appropriate for a host with this guest - but both Art and George have offered their share of opposing perspectives and challenged quests - though in George's case then tend to be more non-sequiturs and strange tangents.

I do think that Ian clung to his vision of how the evening should have gone long after it was obvious he wasn't going to get what he wanted.  I do NOT believe, for one moment - that his intention from the start was to pick a fight. There was simply no purpose for that.

Were I in Ian's shoes - I would have wanted to challenge Quayle too, not to be rude, or even to make him out to be wrong, but for the fun of the debate.

My malignant narcissism has won the upper hand and I now feel forced to share a private email. When Ian Punnett announced on CTC the discovery of a new mammal found in the mountains of Tanzania, I sent him a letter. 

For maximum effect, imagine Ian is reading it aloud, on the air.

The letter says:

Dear Ian,

Regarding your recent announcement about the discovery of a new mammal: It wasn't the jet black rump, spindly legs, amber hair, or even the gray face that gave it away for me; though those did come together in some type of grand flashback alignment when you mentioned the discovery during crypto-news. 

No, it was the flexible snout aspect that convinced me that scientists had finally located "Debbie."  Debbie was a girl I took on a date to the Apollo Twin Drive-In theater in Garland, Texas on October 28, 1977.

Things had been a bit strained as it was, as it was a blind date and I had no idea I would be picking up a girl who was a shared 100 million year old relative of elephants, sea cows, aardvarks and hyraxes.

It was awkward.  You might even say aarkward.  Ha Ha.

The Apollo Twin was playing a double feature on both screens that Friday night - The Serpent's Egg and Wizards.  Because I so loved the series Kung Fu, I had my hopes up about The Serpent's Egg.  How could you go wrong with its director - Ingmar Bergman? 

However, after watching the performance by David Carradine in The Serpent's Egg, Debbie and I were both pretty shook up and decided to take a walk during intermission.  We grabbed something to eat first, then meandered down toward Screen One.  We found ourselves at a picnic table, completely enjoying ourselves near the playground under the theater screen.  Remember those playgrounds, Ian?  It was like an echoic dream.

The gray light of flickering concession ads and coming attractions washed down upon us, for a moment creating the illusion that Debbie and I were in our own type of motion picture ? one that didn't suck like The Serpent's Egg.  We could have been Adam and Eve ? prototype humans born of the Apollo Twin Drive-in, feasting on an Apollo Twin snack shack pepperoni pizza and drinking large watery Cokes. 

I say we were drinking our Cokes, but Debbie was actually siphoning her drink with that flexible schnauze, which by that time, had started to kind of grow on me.  More than once she had leaned in and given me a little wet nudge on the side of my neck.   

I thought it was cute when she reached the bottom of the cup and it made that telltale sound a straw makes when going for that last drop, though the sound she made was a bit more rich in its fleshy timbre.

"Cup empty?" I asked gently.   She snorted a little laugh and flashed her big brown eyes at me.

Her haunches quivered.

I felt great. 

Years later I would see a film called The Green Mile wherein the guards play the film Top Hat featuring Astaire and Rogers singing I'm In Heaven for prisoner John Coffey.  I felt like John Coffey at that moment.   

Unfortunately, the feeling was short lived.

The next feature ? Wizards - began and we decided to watch it for a while from the swings, as we could hear perfectly well on the playground speaker what was happening in the film.   

When the narrator began reading about the history of Montagar, Debbie threw down her empty cup and screamed, "Oh my blank God, animation! I can't  blank believe it! I'm on a date with a blank blank nerd!"

I'm sure you can fill in the blanks, Ian.

She then bounded off toward the woods adjacent to the Apollo Twin, easily scaling the corrugated metal windscreen perimeter.

I've always felt guilty at the relief that washed over me when Debbie left me that night.

You see, Ian, I didn't go after her. 

I remained on the playground, thoroughly captivated by Wizards.  I never saw Debbie or her fine pelt again.  She may have thought I was a nerd - and I guess I was, of a sort, since I stayed and watched Wizards - but despite that, I can honestly say I really enjoyed petting Debbie.

I'm just glad to hear she's okay, Ian, and that scientists have found her after all these years

I can also state unequivocally, that after all these years, The Serpent's Egg still sucks - which is a difficult thing to proclaim about any work by the great Ingmar Bergman - but even Tim Burton had his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, am I right?

I still love Wizards and have it on DVD ?.

and sometimes ? sometimes Ian ? when I watch it, I fancy I can feel Debbie's moist little suction cup kiss testing my neck ?

? and I'm in Heaven.

sincerely,
- "Relieved in Texas"

P.S. Go Apollo Twin! Yeah! (even though it has long since been demolished.) 

Debbie, that was for you, baby.  :'(

EvB

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 11, 2008, 08:41:15 AM
My malignant narcissism has won the upper hand and I now feel forced to share a private email. When Ian Punnett announced on CTC the discovery of a new mammal found in the mountains of Tanzania, I sent him a letter. 

For maximum effect, imagine Ian is reading it aloud, on the air.

The letter says:

Dear Ian,

Regarding your recent announcement about the discovery of a new mammal: I

I DO sincerely hope you are not messing with us.  It sounds like something you would write and something Ian would read - so - despite the fact that I'm supposed to be working on term papers - I'm gonna turn on Ian's stream to listen.

If I end up writing on inter-species sexual attraction instead of Satan as a Tragic Hero in Paradise Lost - my GPA will be on YOUR head!

;:)

EvB

Let me also say that I've kinda been counting on you guys to help me procrastinate.  And lemmie tell you (cue Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovitch) YOU SUCK AT IT!

Quote from: EvB on May 11, 2008, 12:44:44 PM
I DO sincerely hope you are not messing with us.  It sounds like something you would write and something Ian would read - so - despite the fact that I'm supposed to be working on term papers - I'm gonna turn on Ian's stream to listen.

If I end up writing on inter-species sexual attraction instead of Satan as a Tragic Hero in Paradise Lost - my GPA will be on YOUR head!
;:)

On my head, you say?  How provocative.

Be that as it may...

My dear woman, I do not "mess" with people. (cough)  You will find everything in order, including the films shown, the date, and the place.  There may have been some slight tweaking for dramatic purposes ...

Nevertheless ...

I sent the letter to Ian several weeks ago when he shared the news about the new mammal discovery.  I doubt he opened the email (they say he receives thousands per month). 

If he did, he didn't read it on air - explaining why I was compelled to share the letter here, with someone, indeed anyone, who might understand and feel my pain.  (Imagine William Shatner saying the previous line ...)

I was about to delete it from my Out Box, but thought, what a waste to delete the only recorded history of my date with Debbie.

I can not think of a more appropriate venue to proffer my angst than on a site dedicated to the observation of how very much Mr. Noory assaults our sensibilities.

"The greater the sensibilities, the greater the suffering." -  Leonardo da Vinci. 

Put that quote in your term paper.  Professors are fond of Leo and he was as tragic a Hero of some nested sphere of checks and balances as the aforementioned Shaitan.  Hell is indeed, relative. (And sometimes "relatives".)

Hell, (cough) put me in your term paper.  Professors are fond of me as well.  And I can hardly blame them, for I AM the genius fish of a student who "got away." (cough)

Regarding your second comment, I can't speak for the other guys here, but my abilities to induce procrastination in a woman are best manifested in person. 

Indeed, that is when such powers are at their very zenith.

A Paradise Gained, if you ~Will~, for both parties involved.

(I'm not kidding about the malignant narcissism.  No sirree Joe Bob Briggs.  You will find it all too real when I issue orders for the construction of an Holy Sepulcher to house my (c)remains.  Such a structure will make Trump Tower appear as unto a cricket infested way station.)

I enjoy Ian. I admit I haven't heard him lately, but everything I've heard from him was CERTAINLY more interesting than George's shows. He's quick-witted and has a very good sense of humor. I don't think I'd want him as a full-time guy...he's more like a wild card sort of personality for special nights. But I still think he's very genuine, and far worthier than Noory for the position.

Joe Bob Briggs would have loved such a letter.....    8)

MV/Liberace!

the bottom line is this:  ian should have snoor's position right now.  it should have been given to ian the FIRST FUCKING TIME art retired.  instead, it went to mike siegel.  we should never have even come to know that guy's name.  you guys know the rest of the story.

speaking of siegel... i now have an even greater degree of contempt for him than i did previously.  why?  because of the following:

www.mikesiegel.com

apparently, mike was such a smashing success after leaving coast, he became a consultant.  it would appear this guy wants to charge broadcasting companies big bucks to do them the pleasure of teaching them how to succeed in the communications business.  can you believe this?

i've worked for 3 radio stations.  every time they brought in consultants, the entire staff knew we were about to be fed warm dog shit with a plastic spoon.  consultants are the worst.  they do a good job of carrying themselves in a way that suggests they can change your business, but they're all lightweights.  all of them.  they do nothing but create bad blood between you and your employer as they proceed to tell your employer how you suck.  they CAN'T tell your employer why you're great, because your employer isn't paying them to point out what's RIGHT about business. 

"Those who can't do, teach... and those who can't teach, teach gym."
--Dewey Finn, School of Rock

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 12, 2008, 05:57:31 PM
Joe Bob Briggs would have loved such a letter.....    8)

That is the highest compliment I could have hoped to receive.

JBB is the man.  His writing and his MONSTERVISION hosting definitely affected how I more informally approach certain topics.

I would bet a small dangling rubber devil head that Joe Bob has heard of the defunct Apollo Twin.

Back in the day, some drive-ins gave away such shrunken Mephistophelian noggins as premiums to hang from your rear view mirror.

Ah, the good old times.

If we wish, we can now dangle an iPod Nano from the rear view mirror and watch such classics as The Hideous Sun Demon on it.

Personally, I prefer the vulcanized premium, given away because I saw The Hideous Sun Demon on the giant outdoor screen.

The Hideous Sun Demon:

Lizard-foo, Sunlight-foo, Radioactive spray, six dead bodies, no breasts. 

Camazotz Bob says check it out.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 13, 2008, 02:21:13 AM
the bottom line is this:  ian should have snoor's position right now.  it should have been given to ian the FIRST FUCKING TIME art retired.  instead, it went to mike siegel.  we should never have even come to know that guy's name.  you guys know the rest of the story.

speaking of siegel... i now have an even greater degree of contempt for him than i did previously.  why?  because of the following:

www.mikesiegel.com

apparently, mike was such a smashing success after leaving coast, he became a consultant.  it would appear this guy wants to charge broadcasting companies big bucks to do them the pleasure of teaching them how to succeed in the communications business.  can you believe this?

This is just grody.

sociald

I don't think Ian was rude at all. Maybe now Quayle knows that if he can't stand being challenged, don't appear when anyone other than Snoory is hosting the show. I will agree that Ian probably should have known that Quayle can't view things in a larger context than his narrow end of the world doomsday viewpoint. I wouldn't worry about Ian challenging guest any more since I'm sure George put his finger on Ian's head and pushed down until Ian cried like a baby, "don't fire me geogre. I won't ever challenge a guest again".

And I don't think Quayle actually does believe anything he says. If he really did, he would offer everything for free on a website. He was just smart enough to write a book and got rich telling people how the end of the world is here. Religious nuts have been preaching the end of the world for thousands of years and Quayle is no different. What will Quayle be saying in 15 years from now when the world is still around? By then he will be so rich that he probably won't have to come on to hawk his books.

Where are all the Y2K Doomsday people? It appears that after they were wrong about that, they pretty much all disappeared.

The one thing that I can't stand about Ian is that he thinks he is a commedian. I have never laughed at any of his stupid jokes. If he thinks he is so funny, maybe he should quit hosting and become a stand up comic, which he would very quickly fail at.

http://theparacast.com/
This is pretty good at times.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I have come to appreciate Kevin Smith from time to time.

http://kevinsmith.mypodcast.com/
DR. DAN BURISCH and Dr. Marcia McDowell.
Dan Burisch is one of the most controversial figures in the world of UFOlogy, and one of the most polarizing. He says that he is a retired microbiologist who worked at Area 51/S4 and that he was working for MJ12. He also says that he was MJ9 in MJ12 breifly on a pro-tem basis. Burisch says that he had extensive contact with an extraterrestrial during his days at Area 51, and that the ET was actually of human lineage from our future.

Callers to the show were very polarized in their response to Burisch. This show bristles with intense emotions as callers talk with Burisch.

Is he real, or a fraud? Listen and decide for yourself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This show; http://mysteriousuniverse.org/category/podcasts/ has an interview with David Icke up right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adam Go Rightly's Untamed Dimensions is pretty good; http://gorightly.podomatic.com/
Recently interviewed Tim Binnal, I haven't heard it yet though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.mikehagan.com/radiOrbit_Archives.htm
Mike Hagen does an awesome radio show three hours every Monday night and extensive archives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Corbett report is highly political, but hey things are so bizzarre right now politics IS paranormal:)
http://www.corbettreport.com/index.php?i=Episodes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red Ice Creations is another good one. Latest interview was with Ben Stewart the guy who did "Esoteric Agenda"
http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/nonsubscriber.php
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anybody has links for me, I am always scouting:)

Spikegirl

I hear what you are saying, and I have heard Ian be rude to a guest and then kick him off (Maurice Cotterell). That said, I would like to respectfully disagree that this time Ian was rude. Steve Quayle is a Doom and Gloom merchant. It's one thing to tell us, even warn us, about bad things on the horizon. But to get everyone into a panic and then offer no solutions is simply irresponsible. When I first started listening to Coast, I believed a lot of the guests because I did not know better. I would actually worry about things beyond my control, until I realized that the gloom and doom scenario guests were stock C2C fare under the leadership of one George Noory. (In Snoory's defense, Art may have done the same. I started listening to Coast after Art retired. When he came back on weekends, was when I got a flavor of what Coast is supposed to sound like).

Anyway, I think it's good that Ian challenged Chicken Little. Ian even gave a reason for it. He said he had had some gloom and doom guest on years ago, then he had received an e-mail from a listener who wanted to commit suicide because he felt there was no hope. Ian answered him, bu never heard back from the listener. To this day, Ian says he thinks about that listener (and about the power a radio show may have on other's actions, moral repercussions, Karma and all that). Snoory gives the impression to me that he simply has no regard for his listeners and does not care where the chips fall as long as he keeps his job.

EvB

Quote from: Spikegirl on May 18, 2008, 11:45:19 AM
I hear what you are saying, and I have heard Ian be rude to a guest and then kick him off (Maurice Cotterell).

Hmmmmm . . . Must have missed that one.  Can you tell us when and what happened?  Is it possible that this is the guy Ian was referring to when he spoke of a guest that was so negative a listener wrote to Ian asking him to talk him out of suicide?

Ev