• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

rikmono

Ian is a mixed(douch) bag in my opinion. Yes he does try to be tough on guests,something that GN should do more but he has a very wierd style of radio. I'm never really sure if he's go an agenda or he's just a little ignorant of some subject matter but sometimes he badgers guests and seems to argue with them,which makes for uncomfortable listening. I've never really forgiven him for booting Maurice Cotterell off after the 1st hour, I was looking forward to the show and he was very rude to Maurice and had a chip on his shoulder from the word go, probably because of Maurice's, alternative to Christianity, spiritual views. And there are the times his constant sniggering makes me want to break the radio. The lady who writes the humerous books about space travel etc was on a while ago and he was like he was trying out for the comedy team, trying gags, sniggering at everything they both said, it was extremely painful. I rarely can listen to a Punit show unless the guest is very intersting. Coast really has lost its edge in the last couple of years eh?

Quote from: rikmono on February 20, 2011, 07:32:47 AM
I've never really forgiven him for booting Maurice Cotterell off after the 1st hour, I was looking forward to the show and he was very rude to Maurice and had a chip on his shoulder from the word go, probably because of Maurice's, alternative to Christianity, spiritual views.

No way - Cotterell totally had it coming. I cheered when Ian threw him off because he was speaking down to the host and treating the show like an infomercial which GN would have let him get away with. When I heard the start of the interview I was rolling my eyes but Ian totally saved the show by kicking his go nowhere guest off. Even open lines was better than the infomercial bit.

Say what you will about Ian, but the Cotterell show put him head and shoulders above GN forever in my books. Ian is second only to Art so far.

HAL 9000

Definitely my bad - shouda posted the following here first without making a new thread - so here we go:

Ian's first guests last night featured the authors of:

You Might be a Zombie and Other Bad News

Lucky for you, I have it available as an eBook in ePub format.

I personally recommend Calibre, an eBook reader available for Windows, Mac or Linux.

You can download it from here: http://calibre-ebook.com/

You can get  the eBook by clicking  HERE

JustOneFix

I thought the zombie bit sucked ass last nite. The Cracked guy's voice was annoying.

The saving grace was the Ms. Mostofi. Very interesting to listen to.

rikmono

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 20, 2011, 09:06:26 AM

Say what you will about Ian, but the Cotterell show put him head and shoulders above GN forever in my books. Ian is second only to Art so far.

I think the problem was Ian felt like he wasn't going to get to do his usual ripping and slighting the guest so he pulled out. Maurice has a point of view to put accross and he knows the best way to do it, and Ian just wasn't open enough to let him do his thang! One of George's best points is that he lets the guests get their info out their way. With Ian its like, this is my show and you do it my way or not at all. Pretty Nazi!!
Maybe he is a secret nasa nazi??

b_dubb

i think Ian asks the questions that he thinks the listeners would ask.  George is an empty vessel so all you hear with him is echo

anagrammy

Good point, b_dubb, but look at the comefrom between the two.  Ian is an articulate divinity student going for a masters and is a clergyman with a POV but tries to be open to other views, from what I have heard.

George is an inarticulate "worker in the light"-- whatever that is, hence the echo. 

Did you notice George interviewing the New World Order guy, the one who said it would be a good thing all way 'round?  Noory has always said he was against it, but he had the chirpy voice on faking enthusiasm for "the details on how this would benefit the world."  It is the same tone he uses selling gold, e-food direct, etc.

Give me Ian's occasional irritability, sighing, etc.  Just deliver me from the canned sameness of nightly Noory.

Anagrammy

Quote from: rikmono on February 20, 2011, 05:48:29 PM
Maurice has a point of view to put accross and he knows the best way to do it, and Ian just wasn't open enough to let him do his thang!

I disagree. He didn't seem like he knew the best way to do it. Cotterell seemed to know how to do an infomercial well - talking for fifteen minutes straight and then allowing the host to say "huh interesting. Continue", allowing him to bridge the gap between tirades.  At one point Cottrerell even said that if you had questions about his work you weren't listening. Noory may allow one way conversation like this, but Ian certainly wouldn't and he's better off for it. Ian wasn't "open enough" to let his show be hijacked and turned into a marketing vehicle for someone's personal philosophy.

This is also why it's supposed to be TALK radio. You know, like a conversation.

One of George's best points is that he lets the guests get their info out their way. With Ian its like, this is my show and you do it my way or not at all. Pretty Nazi!!

No, again we disagree. This is one of George's weakest points. He lets guests ramble off on whatever they want to, inserting nothing of value into the "conversation". None of his comments carry any insight or weight and are placed where they are simply to fill up the gaps and allow the show to transition from one infomercial to another.

Ian runs the show the way he sees fit, and keeps the show a dialogue with one side (the host) asking questions of the expert (guest). This way he takes the audience along with him as he learns about this guys point of view. He asks intelligent questions and once in a while even interjects some deep insights of the subject matter in a way that's more articulate than the guy he's interviewing.  I don't think educating the audience is "Nazi"-like at all.

Maybe he is a secret nasa nazi??
Uh... what?

anagrammy

Well said, Agent Orange, I totally agree.  I enjoy hearing Ian's take on a guest and thought he handled the guys well who didn't have a copy of their own book to reference.  Ian said, "C'mon guys, I can't present your material for you."  He was exasperated that they were so completely unprepared and then one guy said he was prepared, but for a different subject.  The subject on the Coast website was different from what Ian was prepared to talk about, and he had already announced that, so it was a little zinger.

It seems to me since the beginning of this year, that the production aspect of the coast show is also deteriorating.  I am thinking of the schizophrenic who decided his delusions were reality after all, thus debunking the basic premise of his own book that he was presumably hawking.  And these guys not being prepared-- isn't it the responsibility of the production crew to line these people up and actually speak to them before hand?

Anybody else notice a lot of bumping and chair scraping going on in the background?

Anagrammy

aldousburbank

Quote from: anagrammy on February 22, 2011, 10:46:09 AM
I am thinking of the schizophrenic who decided his delusions were reality after all, thus debunking the basic premise of his own book that he was presumably hawking.

That was awesome!

EvB

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 22, 2011, 10:57:35 AM
That was awesome!

Anyone have a copy?  I'd love to hear that tone.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: anagrammy on February 22, 2011, 10:46:09 AMI enjoy hearing Ian's take on a guest and thought he handled the guys well who didn't have a copy of their own book to reference.  Ian said, "C'mon guys, I can't present your material for you."  He was exasperated that they were so completely unprepared and then one guy said he was prepared, but for a different subject.  The subject on the Coast website was different from what Ian was prepared to talk about, and he had already announced that, so it was a little zinger.

It seems to me since the beginning of this year, that the production aspect of the coast show is also deteriorating.  I am thinking of the schizophrenic who decided his delusions were reality after all, thus debunking the basic premise of his own book that he was presumably hawking.  And these guys not being prepared-- isn't it the responsibility of the production crew to line these people up and actually speak to them before hand?

Anagrammy
Hearing both of these shows was cringe-inducing. I'm not a huge fan of Ian,but he did handle it pretty well. To those who are conspiratorially inclined, it would seem that somebody on the production side was perhaps sandbagging Ian with these odd guests, whether unprepared or mentally erratic. The "cured" schizophrenic guy was captivating radio...

Personally..I doubt's it's a conspiracy to damage Ian, just increasing incompetence at that less than august body. The "Premiere Principle" has superceded the Peter Principle.

HAL 9000

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 07, 2011, 10:40:54 PMTo those who are conspiratorially inclined, it would seem that somebody on the production side was perhaps sandbagging Ian with these odd guests
I am generally not conspiratorially inclined, but I swear to you, I had the exact same thoughts a number of months ago... some of Ian's guests of late seem so mismatched to his style of show...

coastfan

Does anybody remember when Ian used to read mail from his listeners at the beginning of the show? Maybe it was only on CC Live, but it was kinda fun.

Quote from: coastfan on March 19, 2011, 01:55:44 AM
Does anybody remember when Ian used to read mail from his listeners at the beginning of the show? Maybe it was only on CC Live, but it was kinda fun.
C2C Live was awesome. As a tasty Canadian I wish he would embellish the intro to his Coast shows more than he usually does.

valdez

Oh the joy of hearing a host engage his guest.  Yeah, ok, the first segment was on algae (Roland Thomas), but that Bart Ehrman on biblical forgeries was very interesting, and at no point in the show did Ian issue a fatwa against dictionaries.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: valdez on March 20, 2011, 04:23:48 AM
     that Bart Ehrman on biblical forgeries was very interesting, and at no point in the show did Ian issue a fatwa against dictionaries.
This show was right in Ian's wheelhouse and was indeed quite good. I only wish Ian took a "John Batchelor" approach and didn't take calls, the interplay between Ian and Bart was excellent. The callers brought the show to a screeching halt,IMO

The first guy talking about algae combating radiation was off his nut. Ian even called him on it once or twice. "Why hasn't this been tested?" "Why isn't this being widely used?" etc, and all those questions were sidestepped

haloedorchid

Quote from: Agent : Orange on March 20, 2011, 10:35:26 AM
The first guy talking about algae combating radiation was off his nut. Ian even called him on it once or twice. "Why hasn't this been tested?" "Why isn't this being widely used?" etc, and all those questions were sidestepped
The last question from a caller was how the nutrients can be absorbed in the first place. Of course it was taken right before the break at the top of the hour and I don't believe the guest had time to answer it. Not that he would've answered it, given the chance. I was drifting in and out if sleep, but I seem to remember Ian asking a critical question and the guest disregarded it by saying they should focus on the "positive" aspects.

anagrammy

Quote from: haloedorchid on March 20, 2011, 11:40:01 AM
The last question from a caller was how the nutrients can be absorbed in the first place. Of course it was taken right before the break at the top of the hour and I don't believe the guest had time to answer it. Not that he would've answered it, given the chance. I was drifting in and out if sleep, but I seem to remember Ian asking a critical question and the guest disregarded it by saying they should focus on the "positive" aspects.

Yeah, I chuckled when Ian asked about a clinical study and the guest said "That takes money" and Ian countered superbly with suggesting his company pluck up 40-50 of the Japanese radiation victims and use them--it would be worth the favorable positive publicity they would get.  Then the guest offered another "Yes, but," he said, "It hasn't been approved by the Western FDA," and Ian replied, "Believe me, those guys have nothing to lose, you think I'd care what had or hadn't been tested in the West?"  Silence....

The word slither comes to mind, as in pond scum.

Anagrammy

Quote from: anagrammy on March 20, 2011, 03:20:57 PM
Yeah, I chuckled when Ian asked about a clinical study and the guest said "That takes money" and Ian countered superbly with suggesting his company pluck up 40-50 of the Japanese radiation victims and use them--it would be worth the favorable positive publicity they would get.  Then the guest offered another "Yes, but," he said, "It hasn't been approved by the Western FDA," and Ian replied, "Believe me, those guys have nothing to lose, you think I'd care what had or hadn't been tested in the West?"  Silence....

The word slither comes to mind, as in pond scum.

Very much so. I didn't hear the whole interview, so I may be speaking out of ignorance, but did this guy ever give an explanation of how his product actually worked? What is it actually in the algae that has this effect?

Iodine tablets help to stop the bodys uptake of the fission product Iodine-131 by the thyroid by loading the body up with the non-radioactive isotope of Iodine so there is no room to absorb the radioactive variant.

It's been played by the media lately that these Iodine tablets are a "cure for radiation", and that's bullshit. The radiation they're talking about is produced by fission products. If fallout is dropping from the sky, your Iodine tablet doesn't protect you from anything other than the Iodine, all the Cesium and Strontium-90 and other stuff that came along with it can still wreak havoc on you. Iodine tablets just protect the thyroid and reduce the intake of Iodine-131.

Yesterday the first hour guest seemed to imply this isn't true for the algae and seemed to advertise it as a "miracle cure" against some hand-wavingly intangible "radiation". He really didn't give any technical details of the product nor explain its operation. Or did he? Am I missing something?

anagrammy

Quote from: Agent : Orange on March 20, 2011, 05:26:37 PM
Very much so. I didn't hear the whole interview, so I may be speaking out of ignorance, but did this guy ever give an explanation of how his product actually worked? What is it actually in the algae that has this effect?

Iodine tablets help to stop the bodys uptake of the fission product Iodine-131 by the thyroid by loading the body up with the non-radioactive isotope of Iodine so there is no room to absorb the radioactive variant.

It's been played by the media lately that these Iodine tablets are a "cure for radiation", and that's bullshit. The radiation they're talking about is produced by fission products. If fallout is dropping from the sky, your Iodine tablet doesn't protect you from anything other than the Iodine, all the Cesium and Strontium-90 and other stuff that came along with it can still wreak havoc on you. Iodine tablets just protect the thyroid and reduce the intake of Iodine-131.

Yesterday the first hour guest seemed to imply this isn't true for the algae and seemed to advertise it as a "miracle cure" against some hand-wavingly intangible "radiation". He really didn't give any technical details of the product nor explain its operation. Or did he? Am I missing something?

Hey AgentO- Understand I was half asleep by the time Ian got anything from him, and even that was evasive.  He said, "It acts like food by moving through the cell wall via osmosis."  His disdain for the intelligence of the audience is remarkable; however, it is not so noticeable when framed with a set of Nooryisms like "Absolutely...There's something to that...They don't want us to know... They want to control us...I've always said there are no coincidences...Fantastic...Unbelievable... You're right on top of this, aren't you?"

He's the one-statement-fits-all host, doesn't matter what the topic is or who the guest is, even.

I'll revisit that algae night and fill you in, it was worth hearing while fully awake to know what the url is for Lydia Pinkham's Algae Extract Tonic - good for all that ails ye in the nukular age.

Anagrammy

b_dubb

Quote from: Agent: Orange
it's beyond sad that C2C books an algae salesman looking to sell algae as a cure - all for radiation in the wake of the catastrophe in Japan.  shame on C2C.  shame on algae salesman

Ehrman was excellent.  the back and forth between Ehrman and Punnet is great.  strange to hear someone from my town on C2C.  i have probably passed by Ehrman in the grocery store while trying to select a micro brew

Quote from: anagrammy on March 20, 2011, 11:01:57 PM
Hey AgentO- Understand I was half asleep by the time Ian got anything from him, and even that was evasive.  He said, "It acts like food by moving through the cell wall via osmosis."  His disdain for the intelligence of the audience is remarkable;

I caught this part of the show but missed the beginning. I was shocked that he didn't give out any information on how it works, at least for what I heard. I'm glad Ian pressed him but imo he didn't go far enough. I mean, yeah, okay, you've described how "it" gets into cells. What is "it"? Where does "it" come from, and why hasn't "it" been used to this effect before?

My prediction: This guy has been pushing this algae before, and the Japan nuclear scare took him unawares. Or maybe he decided to turn his pond scum into "radiation fighting algae". Either way, he gets the proper bullshit beauracracy out of the way and gets some kind of supplements on the homeopathic medicine shelves, then goes on to make a modest sum on radiation blocking algae pills that conveniently came out JUST AFTER the Japanese crisis to avoid direct field testing.

however, it is not so noticeable when framed with a set of Nooryisms like "Absolutely...There's something to that...They don't want us to know... They want to control us...I've always said there are no coincidences...Fantastic...Unbelievable... You're right on top of this, aren't you?"
He's the one-statement-fits-all host, doesn't matter what the topic is or who the guest is, even.
It could *always* be worse. ;)

I'll revisit that algae night and fill you in, it was worth hearing while fully awake to know what the url is for Lydia Pinkham's Algae Extract Tonic - good for all that ails ye in the nukular age.
I'm thinking I'm going to go out of my way to track this show down since the second guest sounds like a winner and has been met with generally positive reviews so far.

If Peter Parker had eaten that algae before that radioactive spider had bitten him, the world may have never learned that with great power comes great responsibility. I propose that algae guy is no other than Doctor Octopus, somehow unleashing his most nefarious plan yet.

Quote from: b_dubb on March 20, 2011, 11:14:19 PM
it's beyond sad that C2C books an algae salesman looking to sell algae as a cure - all for radiation in the wake of the catastrophe in Japan.  shame on C2C.  shame on algae salesman
Yeah, that's how I felt about it too. Double shame on algae salesman.

Quote from: b_dubb on March 20, 2011, 11:14:19 PM
Ehrman was excellent.  the back and forth between Ehrman and Punnet is great.  strange to hear someone from my town on C2C.  i have probably passed by Ehrman in the grocery store while trying to select a micro brew
Man, as screwed up as it can be, America just has the right attitude on some things. Like beer in grocery stores.

onan

Quote from: Agent : Orange on March 21, 2011, 02:21:12 AM
Yeah, that's how I felt about it too. Double shame on algae salesman.
Man, as screwed up as it can be, America just has the right attitude on some things. Like beer in grocery stores.

*sigh* true heaven... groceries in a beer store.

Ian hosting tonight - I might take a listen.

TBA / Open Lines (Fri 03-25)

Filling in for George, Ian Punnett hosts first hour guest(s) TBA. Followed by Open Lines

less than 6 hours to show time and no guest lined up!

JeffreyLXV

Quote from: 999 on March 25, 2011, 05:31:35 PM
Ian hosting tonight - I might take a listen.

Filling in for George, Ian Punnett hosts first hour guest(s) TBA. Followed by Open Lines

Yay! Ian is on...  :)
I'll be sleepy tomorrow. 8)

haloedorchid

Well he lost me when he called George the hardest working man in show business, but he redeemed himself with the fauxpology to those who criticized his back-to-back religious shows.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: haloedorchid on March 26, 2011, 12:11:37 AM
Well he lost me when he called George the hardest working man in show business, but he redeemed himself with the fauxpology to those who criticized his back-to-back religious shows.

George probably does work hard at kissing ass. It would explain why he is still there... I tend to like Ian and wish he would get some better guests. I think he would do much better if given a chance at least he pays attention and can follow up with a decent question and/or comment.