• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Spikegirl

Quote from: mikemcc on August 04, 2008, 07:10:20 AM
Hmmm... I wonder if there are others here who are English teachers or professional writers/editors. I'm an English professor -- mostly tech writing and freshman and advanced comp, with some lit every few semesters. Ya know, the funny thing is that many of my students seem to think English professors are the only people who are worried about grammar and mechanics and that "normal" people just don't care.

That's really impressive. Feel free to correct my grammar. I am always looking to improve myself. I have loved English grammar since I was a child. I used to get excited when we diagrammed sentences in class. I got a copy of Strunk and White's The Elements of Style to read just for kicks. Maybe that makes me a little weird.

EvB

Quote from: Spikegirl on August 04, 2008, 06:44:00 PM
I got a copy of Strunk and White's The Elements of Style to read just for kicks. Maybe that makes me a little weird.

No - it just makes you a geek - which means you're in good company.

Spikegirl

Quote from: EvB on August 04, 2008, 06:57:37 PM
No - it just makes you a geek - which means you're in good company.

LOL! :D

Quote from: Spikegirl on August 04, 2008, 06:44:00 PM
I got a copy of Strunk and White's The Elements of Style to read just for kicks. Maybe that makes me a little weird.
Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 03, 2008, 08:40:19 PM
While Noory traded Elements of Style for Elements of Suck, performing a strange, bastard alchemy.

CAMAZOTZ  AUTOMAT

sillydog

There was something going around shortly after Ramona's death where someone did reverse-speech on that show he did where he annouced that he was getting remarried.  It was damn creepy, and not flattering, but the subconscious is like that.  I don't think DJO did it, but I suppose the implication is that he was invovled somehow. 

No one is safe from reverse-speech.  His reversals of other C2C guests must have felt like a betrayal to Art, but DJO really does seem like a guy who wants to know the truth.  All Art wanted to hear was backwards baby babble and DJO wanted to get to the heart of some very serious stuff.  They butted horns, and it was Art's show. 

Honestly, I'm still surprised that he's not been interviewed by Snoory.  Then again, he has some of the WORST charlatains on (Sylvia Browne, etc.)  I'd love to hear some Snoory reversals -- I really wonder if he knows how much he sucks.  The reversals he did of Art suggest that he knew damn well that some of his most popular guests were full of poo.  As for having a big ego, I'd expect that of a guy who built a radio empire -- 'nuff said.  Art still rules -- and leaves it up to us to decide.

sillydog

I rather liked Ian's interview with the Fourth Turning guy a few months ago.  I could tell during the interview that he felt himself starting to suck a bit and then recovered it -- that's the key, self-awareness.

MV/Liberace!

wow!  hi, sillydog.  long time no see.  glad to know you're still coming around.

sillydog

I had foolishly been trying to be a "productive freelancer."  I should have known better.

EvB

Quote from: sillydog on August 07, 2008, 12:04:28 AM
There was something going around shortly after Ramona's death where someone did reverse-speech on that show he did where he annouced that he was getting remarried.  It was damn creepy, and not flattering, but the subconscious is like that.  I don't think DJO did it, but I suppose the implication is that he was invovled somehow. 

Okay I gotta ask:  WHAT DID IT SAY?

Maybe I don't wan to know. Since Art's engagement to Ayrn, there have been all sorts of crapp around the web.  "Old man buys child bride" was to be expected.  Tacky - but expected. "Art was tiered of Ramona and let her die" was also not a surprise.  People will say all kinds of things. But then there were entire pages dedicated to the notion that Art already was in touch with Aryn, and killed Ramona.  No evidence, mind you.  Just nasty conjecture.

Were these reversals where any of this came from, or in support of it?

Spikegirl

Yes, I agree. There are all sorts of nasty things about him on the web. My opinion is this: Art is a grown man and his life is none of our business. Airyn was also an adult, a 22 year old woman, when she married Art. It is important to remember also, that while in our country, a 22 year old is still living at home, shopping at the mall, chatting with her girlfriends on the phone at night, etc., in a country like the Phillipines, a 22 year old may be expected to contribute with the welfare of the family if she is still at home. She is considered an adult already. And a marriage at 22 years is not unheard of.

That having been said, I listen to Art (or listened) because of his on air talent. I wasn't listening to him because of his values or the way he lived his life. When I go to a mechanic or the doctor, I don't ask them how they have lived their lives or what skeletons they may have in their closets. I go because they are good at what they do, and I need the service they provide.

It's not like Noory, with his string of failed marriages, has a halo around his head, either. Considering how sad and (suicidaly?) depressed Art was after Ramona's death, I think the notion of his being some kind of coldhearted killer is preposterous. People will just say shit because they have an axe to grind.

EvB

Quote from: Spikegirl on August 07, 2008, 09:43:52 AM

That having been said, I listen to Art (or listened) because of his on air talent. I wasn't listening to him because of his values or the way he lived his life. When I go to a mechanic or the doctor, I don't ask them how they have lived their lives or what skeletons they may have in their closets. I go because they are good at what they do, and I need the service they provide.

People will just say shit because they have an axe to grind.

OH ABSOLUTELY!  I never meant to suggest that any of that crap meant anything to me other than "people will say anything - particularly when they can remain anonymous" The values involved in Art & Airyn relationship are not the same as the typical American relationship - nor should they be expected to be.  anyone who judges them based on "Typical late 20th early 21st century American" ideas is simply showing their own ignorance.  Period.

As for saying shit because you have an axe to grind -- well yes.  And we are a perfect example of that.  However, I applaud us all for avoiding actual liable -and for showing that in the cases of our most outrageous comments our tongues are - usually - firmly planted in our cheeks.

Spikegirl

Quote from: EvB on August 07, 2008, 01:20:48 PM
OH ABSOLUTELY!  I never meant to suggest that any of that crap meant anything to me other than "people will say anything - particularly when they can remain anonymous"

Oh, yes. I understood what you meant and never meant to imply that YOU were one of the gossip mongers! Perish the thought! I was referring to posters who have taken it upon themselves to call Art Bell every name under the sun and then some for living his life. He has been criticized for marrying nothing but Philippine women, for having been married 4 times, for allegedly abandoning his children (another poster to this site can address that. He knows who he is. That is not MY dirty laundry to air.), for marrying a much younger woman, for living in a trailer, ...you name it. Those with an axe to grind have dragged Art's name through the mud. Yet he remains in my heart and mind "The Master".

I also would be very forgiving of someone with all of Snoory's foibles, were it not that he gets on my nerves with his insincerity, his ego, his inability to articulate (yet he hosts a national radio show), etc. In essence, George Noory is the anti-Art. Were George at least competent and a genuinely nice person, I would totally overlook everything else. It's just that on top of his sucking, there's all that other stuff.

danDNA

stand clear - I'm reviving a post.

I think Ian is taking the show in a completely different direction, and I'm still not sure whether its good or bad. He is moving far away from the paranormal stuff and into the realm of real life, which isn't what i tuned in for, but some of the subjects he brings up are decent. I recall Cody Lundin who told us how to shit in a bucket and bury a dead uncle, and the Fourth turning fella, as well as the Ice man stuff and the comic book people he geeks over, but he seems to be trying to provide listeners with explanations for conspiracies that don't involve, well, conspiracies. Like the Rand Corporation show and the recent super crunchers show, and on both occasions he treated the callers like they disagreed with him and the guest, like he is providing a better, or more reasonable solution for the wacky callers' theories.
I don't know whether his religion comes into this, like he is trying to move away from the conspiracy stuff because it involves the church in some way, and he is attempting to guard his belief system. Does anyone remember if he's got a viewpoint on ghosts? i know he claims to have seen a UFO but even then he skews more towards the idea that it wasn't unexplainable.

Frys Girl

I agree with Dan. I'm not really following Ian. He's not fun or compelling. At least with snoory there is some comic relief....

Last night Ian's Obama basher actually spelled Obamacrimes dot com twice! Moron.

Dixie Butcher

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on July 12, 2008, 09:11:32 PM
haha... boy, thank god i understand what you're saying here.

Proud to say I'm with Michael on this.   Ian is brilliant - he's one of those people who I wonder about.  I wonder just how they manage to do  so much stuff and also know so much stuff.  Ian knows so much shit that it doesn't seem possible that there's even enough time to read that much. 

I also love the fact the he actually reads at least part of his guest's books, and tries to read the whole thing whenever possible. And he used to do that when he was doing the show every night, too.  Amazing.  Because at that time, he also had a 4 hour radio show before he did the Coast show and he was full time student working on his Theology masters degree.  Unreal.

EvB

Quote from: Dixie Butcher on August 24, 2008, 10:51:40 PM
Proud to say I'm with Michael on this.   Ian is brilliant - he's one of those people who I wonder about.  I wonder just how they manage to do  so much stuff and also know so much stuff.  Ian knows so much shit that it doesn't seem possible that there's even enough time to read that much. 

I also love the fact the he actually reads at least part of his guest's books, and tries to read the whole thing whenever possible. And he used to do that when he was doing the show every night, too.  Amazing.  Because at that time, he also had a 4 hour radio show before he did the Coast show and he was full time student working on his Theology masters degree.  Unreal.

I'm an Ian fan - but most people here know that. 

I also know it's partly a matter of a personal "click"  - We exchange short emails form time to time. He's the sort of guy I imagine I'd get on with - in that "casual friend" kinda way - in person.  But then, I have a couple of friends who are liberal Christian theologians - one I am quite close with - so in my case I accept that it's a matter of common personal perspective.

Dixie Butcher

I have a feeling I'd get along great with Ian, too - except that he'd have a serious problem with my hatefulness toward George.  He has no respect for people who go on message boards and trash Noory - or he's said something close to that, at least.  But still --he's gotta know how much George blows.  He's waaaaaaaaaay too smart not to notice.

A friend of mine used to work with Ian (not directly, but they'd pass in the hallway and converse a bit...) and said he's an awesome guy. He's now the PD of public radio out of Atlanta - so he's not some nobody either.   Another guy my husband knows used to be PD at our local Clear Channel station, and he also vouched for Ian.  He said "He's the real deal."

EvB

Quote from: Dixie Butcher on August 25, 2008, 02:30:41 AM
I have a feeling I'd get along great with Ian, too - except that he'd have a serious problem with my hatefulness toward George.  He has no respect for people who go on message boards and trash Noory - or he's said something close to that, at least.  But still --he's gotta know how much George blows.  He's waaaaaaaaaay too smart not to notice.

Yeah - I'd hate it if he knew i did this.  Stinky coward that I am.

A friend of mine used to work with Ian (not directly, but they'd pass in the hallway and converse a bit...) and said he's an awesome guy. He's now the PD of public radio out of Atlanta - so he's not some nobody either.   Another guy my husband knows used to be PD at our local Clear Channel station, and he also vouched for Ian.  He said "He's the real deal."

PD = Program Director?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on August 25, 2008, 02:35:59 AM
haha

Dixie Butcher

Quote from: EvB on August 25, 2008, 02:35:59 AM

PD = Program Director?

Yes'm,  program director. 

danDNA

its not that i don't like Ian, i agree he is a thoughtful guest, and that he is a 'reader' and a philosopher and all the rest, and i appreciate that he's got a viewpoint, unlike George who just says "NO!" to everything like a child, whilst Ian says "GET OUT!", but i just don't see the direction Ian is going in as being complementary to the original C"C audience. he seems intent on destroying (although that's really too harsh a word) fringe arguments and replacing them with - in his opinion - rational explanations.
Not that I'm against reason, i am one its biggest advocates, its just a little worrying when someone appears to have made their mind up on the cause of a problem that they become biased or opinionated, bigoted or whatever you want to call it, take political or religious fundamentalism for instance. But as i said before, perhaps not as elaborately, maybe Ian's motivation comes from his background, and more recently his Jedi training (which i again have a lot of respect for him for completing), in that in order to feel that God is in control it is somehow important to neutralise conspiracy theories. I don't mean to simplify the issue or anyone's belief system - believe what you want - but when Ian Punnett tries to tell me that the Rand corporation and super-crunching computers are running the world and not a shadowy cabal of shape-shifting lizards ruled by my very own Queen, i am a little skeptical.

EvB

Perfectly well reasoned post. You got +$ from me just for clarity! (and humor) And, it goes without saying that you're entitled to like whomever you like.  I DO see your point that Ian is not Art (in ANY terms - but here you mention in terms of direction)

Quotein that in order to feel that God is in control it is somehow important to neutralize conspiracy theories.

That's not my impression of how he sees life.  Part of what Ian's "Jedi Training" consisted of - a large part if I understand it correctly (never did it myself - just watched others do it - with awe) is engaging questions, and being willing for them NOT to be answered.  He refers to his guests as "Dialog Partners."  He wants to play too - and sometimes the role he plays is Devil's Advocate.  It's gotten him in trouble with at least ONE guest who was not at all willing to be challenged. Some people enjoy that kind of conversation (I enjoy listening to them more than participating - usually) some don't.

QuoteI don't mean to simplify the issue or anyone's belief system - believe what you want - but when Ian Punnett tries to tell me that the Rand corporation and super-crunching computers are running the world and not a shadowy cabal of shape-shifting lizards ruled by my very own Queen, i am a little skeptical.

hehe - classic!

But you're right - those kinds of conversations (unless they involve Cryptoids) aren't really Ian long suit. Which may be part of why he's the once a week and back-up guy - not the regular. That, and the fact that he already does a daily show at the butt crack of dawn.  ;:)

Ghostly Talk is a good paranormal show - though they do focus on GHOSTS - not reptoids  ;)  For shape shifting aliens - you may want to try Dreamland - though personally I'm not a huge fan, THEY seem willing to entertain ANYTHING!

danDNA

Ev, thanks for your kind comments, and your points are well taken, maybe it is me going into it too much, and making 2+2=4 when we know that in reality its probably 3.976. I mean its hard to avoid attaching someones intellectual intention to their Weltanschauung, especially if they are a theologist, a politician etc.
I actually like Ian. He comes across warm, friendly and intelligent, but i do feel a bit guilty listening to cheery brand of radio if he veers from the original content of C"C, it can feel a bit like im listening to Ned Flanders and that there is some underlying message that im supposed to pick up subliminally. i cant help but think of the time when (probably after a lame phone call from George) he had to apologise for the mauling of Steve 'preparedness' Quayle, and by way of an explanation Ian said that a few years back he vowed to never report doom and gloom stories after receiving a distressed email from a listener who was ready to check out. It all just felt a bit like he was trying to protect the flock.
What he should have done is what George does and ring them up on air to check they are ok, then forget about them.

how about this - Art was the perfect host, a bit of skepticism mixed with just the right amount of belief. but what we have with Ian and George is an open mouthed, gawping, idiot believer, and a linear, dare i say it sensible counterpart, neither of whom match up to Art Bell's brilliance.
So i suppose i'm pining. Pining for a lost era, for a deep sigh or a chuckle in my ear at night that says the world's a messed up, tragic place folks, but is it so bad that we cant still have some fun in it?
[tears well in poster's eye]

EvB

Quotehow about this - Art was the perfect host, a bit of skepticism mixed with just the right amount of belief. but what we have with Ian and George is an open mouthed, gawping, idiot believer, and a linear, dare i say it sensible counterpart, neither of whom match up to Art Bell's brilliance.
So i suppose i'm pining. Pining for a lost era, for a deep sigh or a chuckle in my ear at night that says the world's a messed up, tragic place folks, but is it so bad that we cant still have some fun in it?
[tears well in poster's eye]

YEP!

danDNA

u really enjoy the mafia stuff ian does, i think he has a real interest in that subject and like the comic book guests he isn't afraid to worship the ground that his favourite guests walk on. top marks Ian for august 16th show. just a shame john from long island didn't call in.

Loui Zoot

Ian seems to be misplaced. He's not a bad host, he's just not exactly right for coast to coast. He seems like he is burning out. I feel sorry for him. I can imagine him snapping, and just walking away from c2c. I feel like C2C has screwed him over in a sense. Ian really should have a show that is all his own. One that could touch on some of the topics that coast to coast does, just not all the time. He seems perfectly capable of hosting a nationwide radio show, but one more geared for him. I do think he is far better than George as a radio host. George would fine as regional market, radio host, but clearly not good at all for a nationwide 4 hour radio show. George needs to be a big fish in a fish bowl, and not the dead fish in the lake he is now. I think Ian is fine in the lake, but perhaps a salt lake as a medium size fish.

By the way, does anyone else think that Ian looks like Mike Myers?

EvB

In reply to the two main subject you addressed here:

Yes

and

YES!

;:)

MV/Liberace!

i always thought he looked like jonathan frakes.

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 27, 2008, 08:10:52 AM
i always thought he looked like jonathan frakes.

Frakes is cuter than Ian -- but I can see it, this pic in particular: