• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Bounder

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 01, 2018, 01:40:08 AM
I think it would be cool if there was a possibly of dinosaurs somewhere.

I agree.

Quote from: Bounder on July 01, 2018, 01:46:26 AM
To support the origin claim we'll need a second edition and more scans in situ (I've got plenty of books and magazines "from the early 20th century" and they are not so theatrically aged).  That leaves the work of sorting out the contents of the shot, which looks much more like a man-made buckskin kayak (seen lying with its top toward us) and a Thunderbird totem than anything biomorphic.

Can't disagree but it would be cool if it was real.  I'm becoming redundant.  :-[ :P

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 01, 2018, 01:48:42 AM
So they say.  Conan Doyle wasn't an idiot and he held out the possibility.

Interesting you mentioned the Mastadon.  Louis L'amour wrote a book called Jubal Sackett that takes place in the 1600's and the character came face to face with one in the Tennessee Valley.  L'amour was obsessive in researching his books to every historical detail.  He didn't make shit up.

That's why I said that because more recent examples of their remains have been found.

Bounder

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 01, 2018, 01:48:42 AM
So they say.  Conan Doyle wasn't an idiot and he held out the possibility.

Interesting you mentioned the Mastadon.  Louis L'amour wrote a book called Jubal Sackett that takes place in the 1600's and the character came face to face with one in the Tennessee Valley.  L'amour was obsessive in researching his books to every historical detail.

Don't forget Robert Koldewey, the learned German excavator of ancient Babylon (the superb Ishtar Gate he uncovered -- which greeted Alexander the Great -- has been restored and is housed at the not-to-be-missed Museumsinsel [Museum Island] in Berlin), and his quite passionate conviction that the "third animal" depicted on city's blue tile was not a fanciful chimera but a recently extinct dinosaurid (specifically the iguanodon).

Quote from: Bounder on July 01, 2018, 01:58:11 AM
Don't forget Robert Koldewey, the learned German excavator of ancient Babylon (the superb Ishtar Gate he uncovered -- which greeted Alexander the Great -- has been restored and is housed at the not-to-be-missed Museumsinsel [Museum Island] in Berlin), and his quite passionate conviction that the "third animal" depicted on city's blue tile was not a fanciful chimera but a recently extinct dinosaurid (specifically the iguanodon).

Oh, I'd love to go to the great museums in Europe. I'm still like a kid when it comes to this subject.  Maybe a bit a gullible but it is fun to speculate.  Thanks for the link!   :D Please post often!   ;) ;D 

Bounder

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 01, 2018, 02:02:01 AM
Oh, I'd love to go to the great museums in Europe. I'm still like a kid when it comes to this subject.  Maybe a bit a gullible but it is fun to speculate.  Thanks for the link!   :D Please post often!   ;) ;D

Kids are optimists; a good thing to be like!

Also: L'Amour and dinosaurs . . . you might enjoy Crichton's posthumous title, Dragon Teeth, about the founders of American paleontology (Cope and Marsh) at war in the literal Wild West.  A draft or two shy of the edge and polish he'd have given it while alive, still: sharp enough to cut an appreciable groove.

TigerLily

Two great nights of C2C. So great to have Ian back

Quote from: Bounder on July 01, 2018, 02:10:21 AM
Kids are optimists; a good thing to be like!

Also: L'Amour and dinosaurs . . . you might enjoy Crichton's posthumous title, Dragon Teeth, about the founders of American paleontology (Cope and Marsh) at war in the literal Wild West.  A draft or two shy of the edge and polish he'd have given it while alive, still: sharp enough to cut an appreciable groove.

Oh thank you.  I bought it but it is on a stack to be read.  I'll put it at the front of the stack!! ;D  I buy too many books!!  :-[

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2018, 02:13:49 AM

It is nice to hear an intelligent host on Coast.  He is better than everybody else on Coast save for Knapp.  I have never been the biggest fan of Ian especially when he has goofy guests but he brings a lot of interesting guests to the show as well.  I'm glad he is back!

He used to be a DJ on 96 rock here in Atlanta and I vaguely remember him from that time. He was silly but likable.

Bounder

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2018, 02:13:49 AM

He's the warmest, emotionally.  I always sense he's sincerely sentimental . . . and a touch #dadjokey.  A forgivable sin.

Bounder

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 01, 2018, 02:15:25 AM
Oh thank you.  I bought it but it is on a stack to be read.  I'll put it at the front of the stack!! ;D  I buy too many books!!  :-[

I haven't been able to source it*, so the following may be apocryphal, nevertheless apropos:

"I guess there are never enough books." â€"Steinbeck

*except that it appears on merchandise sold at The National Steinbeck Center in Salinas, so my certainty quotient is up around "reasonably."

Quote from: Bounder on July 01, 2018, 02:19:55 AM
He's the warmest, emotionally.  I always sense he's sincerely sentimental . . . and a touch #dadjokey.  A forgivable sin.

Yes he is.  He really seems like he enjoys the job and plus I like the fact that he reads the books that the guests write.

TigerLily

Quote from: Bounder on July 01, 2018, 02:19:55 AM

Nice that you joined us, Bounder

Bounder

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2018, 02:25:55 AM

Thanks.  It's been a few minutes, Lilypad.

"Time just gets away from us." â€"Charles Portis, True Grit

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2018, 02:25:55 AM

Don't you want to thank me for joining you too?!

I'm sure you just forgot. :D

Quote from: Bounder on July 01, 2018, 02:23:23 AM
I haven't been able to source it*, so the following may be apocryphal, nevertheless apropos:

"I guess there are never enough books." â€"Steinbeck

*except that it appears on merchandise sold at The National Steinbeck Center in Salinas, so my certainty quotient is up around "reasonably."

LOL. No, there aren't.  I've been trying to read a book on the Templars but it is so dry.  I got diverted and I'm currently reading a bunch of old novels from the British author, Dennis Wheatley.  The Black Magic series of novels and they are a lot of fun but oh so British.  He had an interesting spirituality which is one I'm in simpatico with.

TigerLily

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 02:30:21 AM
Don't you want to thank me for joining you too?!

I'm sure you just forgot. :D

lol. I hardly ever run into Bounder.  You're always here so I take you for granted

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2018, 02:33:19 AM
lol. I hardly ever run into Bounder.  You're always here so I take you for granted

There can never be enough women on the site for me! Oh God, I am damned. :-[

Bounder

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 01, 2018, 02:31:20 AM
LOL. No, there aren't.  I've been trying to read a book on the Templars but it is so dry.  I got diverted and I'm currently reading a bunch of old novels from the British author, Dennis Wheatley.  The Black Magic series of novels and they are a lot of fun but oh so British.  He had an interesting spirituality which is one I'm in simpatico with.

My score for "readable nonfiction monographs" is abysmal; the great ones make things worse when the next in line so massively disappoints.  I finally got to Cousteau's The Silent World â€" très charmant! â€" and am just now midway through a slow slogging tome on Andrew Carnegie, though I suspect much of the enervation is to do with the latter being cast in a passive voice (third person) and the former a far more active and interested first.

Novels: I've been listening to an audio performance of King's 11/22/63 . . . I'm severely absorbed in it.

I was sleepy 3 hours ago but I got a 3rd wind.  The wine I'm drinking seems to have helped.  Damn, I love 19 Crimes. I'm alone on a weekend but Bellgabbers are providing wonderful company.

TigerLily

I'm going to listen to the last little bit offline. Night, all. Don't get too lonely, 21

Deus te amat

Bounder

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2018, 02:47:06 AM
I'm going to listen to the last little bit offline. Night, all. Don't get too lonely, 21

Arrivederci, Lil.

Quote from: Bounder on July 01, 2018, 02:39:42 AM
My score for "readable nonfiction monographs" is abysmal; the great ones make things worse when the next in line so massively disappoints.  I finally got to Cousteau's The Silent World â€" très charmant! â€" and am just now midway through a slow slogging tome on Andrew Carnegie, though I suspect much of the enervation is to do with the latter being cast in a passive voice (third person) and the former a far more active and interested first.

Novels: I've been listening to an audio performance of King's 11/22/63 . . . I'm severely absorbed in it.

Oh dear, 3rd person Carnegie biography!  That is a slog!! I'll take the Templars book.  ;D Ol' Jacques was a staple in my house whenever he had a TV special. LOL.  Of course I was but a wee one but I loved him.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Bounder on July 01, 2018, 02:39:42 AM

I remember you now...though you were less of a panicky idiot last time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ5ayl-VzA

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2018, 02:47:06 AM

Aww darn.  Goodnight, TL, and sweet dreams or should I say sweat dreams?  Oh dear, I am being naughty.   :-[ 

Bounder

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 01, 2018, 02:51:01 AM
I remember you now...though you were less of a panicky idiot last time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ5ayl-VzA

Handsomely done, sir.  I'm honored.

I'm just having a bit of fun so don't take me seriously!

Seriously, Bounder,  don't be a stranger. The more the merrier. ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 01, 2018, 01:40:08 AM
I think it would be cool if there was a possibly of dinosaurs somewhere.  I guess you don't.  I'd like to believe but I'm not sure I do. 

You believe in all this conspiracy crap but whatever.  You've asked me to watch videos before and I did watch 1 or 2 so watch the one I posted.  That guy hasn't written a book about his experiences so what has he to gain?

Paulides took the theory more seriously than you have.

No more dinosaurs on Earth, xd.  But there are some dragons on the planet Venus.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 01, 2018, 03:06:53 AM
No more dinosaurs on Earth, xd.  But there are some dragons on the planet Venus.

You have never been pursued in a cypress swamp by a 100+ pound alligator snapping turtle.