• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Jeopardy!

Started by albrecht, January 08, 2020, 04:54:12 PM

albrecht

As some might know I'm a big fan. Anyone watching the Greatest Of All Time show? So far, so good. Folks doing a lot of real daily doubles and not many missed questions. I don't like all the Disney/ABC categories and celebrities reading the answers. But, I guess, expected. Aside from that good stuff and I figure since primetime and hyped they will continue to do my hated categories like pop music, celebrities, modern tv crap. But, oh well......
I want Jeopardy! to bring back the news reporter and entertainer celebrity shows because it shows how clueless they are. Even about events they supposedly are reporting on!

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 08, 2020, 05:20:15 PM
No IBM Watson?   WTH!
Ha! That would be fun.

That is likely to be the next show: Watson, Deep Blue, the Google one, the Chink one, etc as contestants. Or Siri versus Alexa? Ha. Interestingly I heard some nerd talking about Watson and our brains and the weird thing they are trying to tackle is subtleness and discounting ridiculous answers. When wrong the "AI" can be very wrong that seems ridiculous to a human. And with games that aren't clearly defined "rules" which is why Go mastery was a big deal.

From experience Alexa is very bad with classical music and country music/bluegrass. At least when I ask it to play certain things. (I don't have, obviously, but when at friends or family's houses who have invited the snooping systems into their homes.) 

My suspicion is, actually, it could  be possible that the 'AI" computers might get DUMBER as society does since information is being corralled, fake news, censors, and people are less educated, and auto-fill and "popular" searches are shown first, and commercialization is the primary motivation. One notes how internet searches seem to be less effective than they were years ago.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 08, 2020, 04:54:12 PM
As some might know I'm a big fan. Anyone watching the Greatest Of All Time show? So far, so good. Folks doing a lot of real daily doubles and not many missed questions. I don't like all the Disney/ABC categories and celebrities reading the answers. But, I guess, expected. Aside from that good stuff and I figure since primetime and hyped they will continue to do my hated categories like pop music, celebrities, modern tv crap. But, oh well......
I want Jeopardy! to bring back the news reporter and entertainer celebrity shows because it shows how clueless they are. Even about events they supposedly are reporting on!

I see they’re giving Ken Jennings a shot at hosting and I think he’s doing a great job. They should just give it to him. What do you think?

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 14, 2021, 06:49:01 PM
I see they’re giving Ken Jennings a shot at hosting and I think he’s doing a great job. They should just give it to him. What do you think?
So far I say he is doing a good job. You can tell he is a bit nervous and so speaks quickly and a bit forced. But who wouldn't? New job. Replacing a legend that he admired. And likely being a bit of a nerd and not used to Hollywood style paparazzi and also repressing a natural/trained 'I wanna answer, and quickly' versus running the show as a host, not a contestant. Like it can take a person who played the game a bit to become a color analyst or announcers- some don't even make that transition. But so far so good.  I say give it to him, at least for some initial contract for a season or two and then see. Like any job it takes a bit to become totally comfortable.

Hog

Just seeing this thread.  I gotta say, Trebek was a trooper during his battles.  He was on Howard Stern a bit ago and he was stating that during the taping of Jeopardy he was so sick from chemotherapy that he would get back to his dressing room be sick.  He said he would lay on the floor with his face on the cool floor, recover and get back out for the next show.  It couldnt take long to tape a show, IIRC they'd tape a weeks worth of shows in one day.

My brother loves the show, daily watcher, that and Wheel of Fortune. He does well, esp. considering he "listens" to TV as he says.

When we were kids, he would sit at his TV, his face approx. 3-4" from the screen back when he could see but his vision was fading.  He would repeat whatever dollar value was selected and then listen in silence as the actual question was read by Alex, then he would say his answer.  If he got the answer(the question) incorrect, he would say "Nope and then his cumulative score" if he was correct he would make this loud simulated bell noise "ner, ner, ner", then the cumulative number of correct answers for that show and followed by a simulated "crowd applause sound" like the sound  people simulating the sound a crowd in a stadium would make, sometimes cupping their hands around their mouths.

Correct answer="NEER,NEER,NEER- Eight Correct HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA"
Wrong answer= "Nope-Eight Correct"

The highlight was when a "Daily Double" was selected. He would bring his face back from the screen, sit up straight, raise and extend his arms upwards whilst making "lobster claw" snapping motions with his 8 fingers and thumbs in precise timing with the oral sound effect of the Daily Double noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHUYfWp7UPo

Trebek was one of a few Canadians that has his name on BOTH the Canadian and American "Walks of Fame.

peace
Hog