• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Australian Bush Fires

Started by Hog, January 02, 2020, 01:39:03 PM

Hog

Quote from: albrecht on January 12, 2020, 12:34:21 PM
During our latest hurricane/flood the big, global conglomerate sent out cans of water. Digging out muck, tearing out walls, rehabing the first floor and I'm greeted with canned WATER. Like Budlight isn't close enough to water for them to just send over pallets of that? It probably cost them $ to make water on the production line than just send over some more appreciated water-like beverage. Best to all in Australia....I blame environmentalists, immigrants, and the Chinese for the fires btw, but regardless of cause, horrible.

LOL about the Budlight being close enough to water, agree, agree!

For the big 2016 Fort McMurray fires here in Canada IIRC it was Labatt's that sent canned water for aid relief.

Ah yes, found some pics  "Instead of beer, Labatt Breweries is shipping 200,000 cans of water to assist those affected by a wildfire that continues to burn out of control in northern Alberta.
The company said it has an additional 130,000 cans of water ready to ship later this week, if needed."

What's a labeling redesign worth?

peace
Hog

albrecht

Quote from: Hog on January 12, 2020, 02:13:07 PM
LOL about the Budlight being close enough to water, agree, agree!

For the big 2016 Fort McMurray fires here in Canada IIRC it was Labatt's that sent canned water for aid relief.

Ah yes, found some pics  "Instead of beer, Labatt Breweries is shipping 200,000 cans of water to assist those affected by a wildfire that continues to burn out of control in northern Alberta.
The company said it has an additional 130,000 cans of water ready to ship later this week, if needed."

What's a labeling redesign worth?

peace
Hog
You folks in the Great White North always make fun of our beer- at least our mass produced beers but fail to understand that there is a time and place for everything. And it is much warmer here so the "drinkability" promised is an actual thing. A quick way to remain hydrated with the added health benefits of some alcohol. But not enough to get drunk so can still perform outdoor activities in safety. And no threat of beer freezing if left outside which might account for the general slightly higher ABV in Canadian brews. I can get Molson and Labatts at the local rink but that is the only place I've seen it here. 

ps: we also blame you up there for that weird, odd "ice beer" phenomena in the 90s.

Hog

Quote from: Taaroa on January 12, 2020, 06:06:04 AM
Seems it's been sent by the big brewery in Melbourne (but it reads like they still charged for it) that makes Fosters and other big brands like VB:
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/victoria-bushfires-australian-navy-comes-to-the-rescue-of-the-pub-with-almost-no-beer

Not a great selection, but VB is an icon. Before you ask - Fosters isn't drunk often in Australia, and that's likely why it wasn't included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1h9h7-_Z4
The last Foster lager I had was from a keg (7-1/2 cases equivalent to 173 341mL, bottles to the case). In my circle of friends, whenever someone would get a new job that was a step up for that person, from the first paycheque MUST be bought a large sized keg for "the group."  Back then a keg could be had for $160-$180. A full keg weighs 160 pounds, when empty just 30.1 pounds. 130 pounds of beer.
For that keg we even rented the tap and carbon dioxide pressurant system.  We set it up in a huge vat of ice water and let it sit for a day.  It gave beautiful pours without a huge amount of foam like usual.

The Fosters Lager marketing up here had the tag line "FOSTER's.......Australian for beer."

I'm all for keeping "the troops happy" with a few cold ones after a very long day.  It's things like that help to keep morale high.

Over the weekend 3,000 Australian military reservists join the front lines of the battle after being activated. This will be in addition to the 2000 regular troops already deployed.

Did you hear what I said?  Australia has called up the reserves.

Five Eyes.
Hog

Guinness in Australia is brewed by Lion Brewery to be stronger than even in Ireland.

When you are invited to sit at a table in an Ozzie pub, you might feel fortunate when they buy you a pint, but then you are in turn, expected to buy the next round for the table, and then to continue drinking until everyone else has bought you another drink.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Stupid Robbings on January 12, 2020, 08:21:16 PM
Guinness in Australia is brewed by Lion Brewery to be stronger than even in Ireland.

Too heavy during a fire.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 12, 2020, 08:24:01 PM
Too heavy during a fire.

Ozzie beer would probably fuel the flames.

albrecht

Quote from: Stupid Robbings on January 12, 2020, 08:21:16 PM
Guinness in Ireland etc is not that strong. A tasty beverage but not strong. "Special Export" found in the Caribbean and Africa and, sometimes, here in the US or, somewhat oddly, in the Low Countries and duty-free shops is both strong (8% ABV) and extra "good for you."
Why they invented the "Guinness Extra Cold" deal is beyond my comprehension. I like it at room or cellar temperature.

I think Lion brews Guinness to be about 11% like, Hair Of The Dog, in Portland, Orygun.

Doggie Claws is a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70.
https://www.hairofthedog.com/beers/

Buying a round of drinks in Oz is called, a 'Shout'.

I like Guinness draft in the can and now in the bottle since they gas it.  It used to be too bitter unless you bought it on tap.

whoozit

I hope Venix is OK.  Thoughts and prayers.