• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Wowing Luminary K_Dubb's Nordic Baking Podcast WTF! Historic & Musical Too!

Started by VC, December 24, 2019, 12:05:32 PM

Rat Fink

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 05, 2020, 07:08:46 PM
Oh he does not dare show his face now knowing that, where words may fail, I can simply bury him with a Bach toccata!

But do you know how to make cow pies?   I am Rat Fink.

K_Dubb

Dr. MD MD

K_Dubb, while rewatching some TOS episodes recently I noticed that toward the end of the closing credits the Norway Corporation is mentioned. Did your people have something to do with Star Trek too? Perhaps it’s really a saga and instead of Captain Kirk being Horatio Hornblower he’s really Eric the Red and the Enterprise a viking langskip?

To boldly go where no viking has gone before.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 06, 2020, 09:07:31 PM
K_Dubb, while rewatching some TOS episodes recently I noticed that toward the end of the closing credits the Norway Corporation is mentioned. Did your people have something to do with Star Trek too? Perhaps it’s really a saga and instead of Captain Kirk being Horatio Hornblower he’s really Eric the Red and the Enterprise a viking langskip?

To boldly go where no viking has gone before.

I know next to nothing about Star Trek but, in the general sense of exploration narratives, it seems to fall within the tradition that goes back at least as far as Egypt's expeditions to the Land of Punt, thousands of years before the Vikings.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 06, 2020, 09:39:20 PM
I know next to nothing about Star Trek but, in the general sense of exploration narratives, it seems to fall within the tradition that goes back at least as far as Egypt's expeditions to the Land of Punt, thousands of years before the Vikings.

I can’t fap to this.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 06, 2020, 09:47:34 PM
I can’t fap to this.

Does this help?

A Puntite chieftain and his generously proportioned wife, from the temple of Hatshepsut.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 06, 2020, 09:39:20 PM

Weird and obviously llater than Egyptian but wiki claims Prester John might have been an Italian Jewsish plot! Those Venetian merchants. Too bad bad Texe Marrs isnt around to decipher. I wonder if Russell Pine aka Jordan Maxwell has a "take," as Norry might say.

You'd like K_Dubb at last family reunion got a speaker who had written viking book. Professor. He was gobsmacked when some questions from Midwest relatives- milleniials- started on about the Viking runestones etc in Minn, Iowa and such. He was taken abafk and cut it short. Reminded me of a C2C legit guest confronting bizarre callers, unaware of audience. Funny.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 06, 2020, 09:53:26 PM
Does this help?

A Puntite chieftain and his generously proportioned wife, from the temple of Hatshepsut.

A bit...I guess... :-\

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 06, 2020, 09:54:08 PM

Weird and obviously llater than Egyptian but wiki claims Prester John might have been an Italian Jewsish plot! Those Venetian merchants. Too bad bad Texe Marrs isnt around to decipher. I wonder if Russell Pine aka Jordan Maxwell has a "take," as Norry might say.

You'd like K_Dubb at last family reunion got a speaker who had written viking book. Professor. He was gobsmacked when some questions from Midwest relatives- milleniials- started on about the Viking runestones etc in Minn, Iowa and such. He was taken abafk and cut it short. Reminded me of a C2C legit guest confronting bizarre callers, unaware of audience. Funny.

Among exploration narratives the sagas stand out for being pretty matter-of-fact and believable, stretching the truth only so far as to entice settlement with tales of fertility, which the sagas actually go so far as to admit up front.  This shocking candor distinguishes them from the fanciful tales that usually circulated around strange new lands and, I think, mark an essential trait of the Nordic character which, as the various runestone hoaxes demonstrate, had sadly evaporated by the 19th c. which saw immigrants' native honesty quickly fall prey to American-style hucksterism.

I do not know whether a Viking wife actually scared off an attack of the Skraelings by beating her bare bosom with the flat of a sword but I am prepared to entertain this detail given the relative paucity of outright invention otherwise evident.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 06, 2020, 10:17:23 PM
Among exploration narratives the sagas stand out for being pretty matter-of-fact and believable, stretching the truth only so far as to entice settlement with tales of fertility, which the sagas actually go so far as to admit up front.  This shocking candor distinguishes them from the fanciful tales that usually circulated around strange new lands and, I think, mark an essential trait of the Nordic character which, as the various runestone hoaxes demonstrate, had sadly evaporated by the 19th c.  I do not know whether a Viking wife actually scared off an attack of the Skraelings by beating her bare bosom with the flat of a sword but I am prepared to consider this detail given the relative paucity of outright invention otherwise evident.

I have questions about time-lines but several guests have been on circuit with regard to Vikings and Templar,  Holy Grail, lost treasures etc. On C2C etc circuit. Jumping on bandwagon due to popular novels n movies. Can be fun but highly suspect. I do like the "redheads" in China deal though. And Vikings founding Russia....and, obviously, first to NA. (Excepting the Soulutreans...haha...and Welsh...

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 06, 2020, 10:26:23 PM

I have questions about time-lines but several guests have been on circuit with regard to Vikings and Templar,  Holy Grail, lost treasures etc. On C2C etc circuit. Jumping on bandwagon due to popular novels n movies. Can be fun but highly suspect. I do like the "redheads" in China deal though. And Vikings founding Russia....and, obviously, first to NA. (Excepting the Soulutreans...haha...and Welsh...

That whole redheads-in-China thing makes me want to scream.  It is only news to people who confuse China's modern vastly expanded borders with history and who have never bothered to distinguish Han Chinese from the many minorities.  Just look at the Great Wall on a map, well within modern China, and reflect that the region outside it was an ancient nomadic sea churned by tides of peoples of various colors and mixtures that regularly spilled over into Europe on one end and China on the other, where their genetic legacy is still to be seen on the faces of Xinjiang.  The only myth that is busted is the idea of China as some vast and ancient civilization, perpetuated by the Communists for their own purpose, when China was historically a pacified riverine population regularly subdued by warlike invaders in a pattern replicated throughout the world.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 06, 2020, 10:51:46 PM
That whole redheads-in-China thing makes me want to scream.  It is only news to people who confuse China's modern vastly expanded borders with history and who have never bothered to distinguish Han Chinese from the many minorities.  Just look at the Great Wall on a map, well within modern China, and reflect that the region outside it was an ancient nomadic sea churned by tides of peoples of various colors and mixtures that regularly spilled over into Europe on one end and China on the other, where their genetic legacy is still to be seen on the faces of Xinjiang.  The only myth that is busted is the idea of China as some vast and ancient civilization, perpetuated by the Communists for their own purpose, when China was historically a pacified riverine population regularly subdued by warlike invaders in a pattern replicated throughout the world.

Ha. I was trying to get yer goat with the red-head Chinese. Have you heard about the whole Tartary Ceception stuff? And a collary of some Russian "schlolars" who insist a weird 'eliimination' happened in time-lines and calendars changes help cover up "stuff?" Fun. Not saying buy into it but I do thnk the "dark ages" have been spun and not as lost/backward as proclaimed. Lots of things were still going on that likely lead to advances.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 06, 2020, 11:07:12 PM

Ha. I was trying to get yer goat with the red-head Chinese. Have you heard about the whole Tartary Ceception stuff? And a collary of some Russian "schlolars" who insist a weird 'eliimination' happened in time-lines and calendars changes help cover up "stuff?" Fun. Not saying buy into it but I do thnk the "dark ages" have been spun and not as lost/backward as proclaimed. Lots of things were still going on that likely lead to advances.

Yes, the Tartary stuff is pure and utter hogwash, of course, wishful thinking conjuring a national myth out of the vacuum of illiteracy.  But interesting from a cultural point of view:  the idea that the great Russian people have been robbed of their history by a Western conspiracy abetted by the Tsar shows they have never forgiven Peter the Great for cutting off their beards hahaha!

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 06, 2020, 11:30:18 PM
Yes, the Tartary stuff is pure and utter hogwash, of course, wishful thinking conjuring a national myth out of the vacuum of illiteracy.  But interesting from a cultural point of view:  the idea that the great Russian people have been robbed of their history by a Western conspiracy abetted by the Tsar shows they have never forgiven Peter the Great for cutting off their beards hahaha!
Speaking of Russian "scholarship"......
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/russian-journals-retract-more-800-papers-after-bombshell-investigation   

(Not that we don't have issues with such things.....)

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 08, 2020, 05:32:07 PM
Speaking of Russian "scholarship"......
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/russian-journals-retract-more-800-papers-after-bombshell-investigation   

(Not that we don't have issues with such things.....)

You are right we are no better.  The stupidity of smart people in groups astounds me.

paladin1991

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 25, 2019, 12:04:37 AM
The nice thing                              about smoking a dude's  pipe                                       is that it gives you                                         time to think about what you're going to say                                                                     so you don't make                                               such an ass of yourself.