• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Long John Nebel

Started by DynamoHum, December 23, 2019, 07:22:31 AM

Uncle Duke

Quote from: DynamoHum on December 23, 2019, 07:22:31 AM
Found a small cache of his shows just in case people haven’t heard him before.

https://archive.org/details/TheLongJohnNebelCollection/LongJohn+Nebel-1958+02+05+Arthur+C+Clarke+Cortland+Hastings+Charles+Leedham+Major+Wayne+Aho+Part03.mp3

Thanks for posting this, it's the largest collection of Nebel shows I've ever found.  The first 10+ minute clip is a hoot.  Would be interesting to know if they used shill callers that long ago

I’ve never heard him. After a quick listen he is cranky and funny. Reminds me a lot of Art.

DynamoHum

Apart from the fact that these are excellent listening .... the inclusion of guests “Major Aho” and his brother “Arthur Aho” is just the icing....

AZZERAE

Quote from: nooryisawesome on December 26, 2019, 10:56:57 PM
I’ve never heard him. After a quick listen he is cranky and funny. Reminds me a lot of Art.

When I first heard Nebel, I immediately realised Art was just carrying the baton of what came before.

Robert

Quote from: AZZERAE on December 27, 2019, 11:19:04 AMWhen I first heard Nebel, I immediately realised Art was just carrying the baton of what came before.
I guess I'm unusual here in having heard Nebel first run, as the Long John Nebel and Candy Jones Show on WMCA.  I wasn't that much a fan of the subject matter, but I listened to a lot of radio talk back then, and actually a lot of programs took up paranormal subjects occasionally as fads in them arose and fell.  Most of them I tuned out and sensed that the emcees were not treating the subjects anything like fairly, instead either reveling in lengthy dismissal of them or fawning all over their expositors.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Robert on January 30, 2020, 03:44:26 PM
I guess I'm unusual here in having heard Nebel first run, as the Long John Nebel and Candy Jones Show on WMCA.  I wasn't that much a fan of the subject matter, but I listened to a lot of radio talk back then, and actually a lot of programs took up paranormal subjects occasionally as fads in them arose and fell.  Most of them I tuned out and sensed that the emcees were not treating the subjects anything like fairly, instead either reveling in lengthy dismissal of them or fawning all over their expositors.

Do you feel Art brought a seriousness to the paranormal realm?