• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

8ch.net censorship. Invite anon refugees here to bellchan

Started by DanTSX, August 06, 2019, 07:12:41 AM

AZZERAE

I agree, Wild Card. Good point, Wild Card. Well said, Wild Card.

Quote from: WildCard on August 11, 2019, 05:12:37 PM
If you want to talk about something other than the weather in rural America, you have to go black or brown.

It's like you consulted a think tank of giga boomers to craft the perfect boomer sentence. Impressive.

AZZERAE

Quote from: malachi.martini on August 12, 2019, 08:48:18 AM
It's like you consulted a think tank of giga boomers to craft the perfect boomer sentence. Impressive.

Wild Card's right, y'know. Think about it. No ... Give it some more thought.

Deeeeper. Ah! What do you see?

Amazing what happens when you mull something over instead of just hitting random letters and then SEND.

Try it more often. K.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: WOTR on August 11, 2019, 01:34:59 AM
I'll confess that I was a little surprised how many posters went from "praise MV" to "that bastard MV" and from "I love the uncensored feel of Bellgab" to "MV didn't do enough to protect my delicate feelings."

As a spectator, it was beyond fucked up. I'll admit that there are a few posters who didn't return that I miss- but I'm still surprised how quickly some people decided that they hated everything they pretended to love (and how many people apparently want more moderation, and more protection from "evil" posters.) I assume these are the same people who secretly yearn for the government to take more control of their lives so that they can abdicate personal responsibility.  ::)

Certain departures were a real win for this forum. No doubt.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Liberace! on August 12, 2019, 01:00:45 PM

The circumstances allowed for a kind of self-sorting that is really interesting, sociologically.  I have been trying to come up with mental diagrams to account for it, plotting the various spectra such as

conservative:liberal
rebels:conformists
smarter:dumber
dogs:cats
novel:banal
insane:sane

but none yield anything approaching a satisfactory conclusion.

Lilith

Quote from: Liberace! on August 12, 2019, 01:00:45 PM

Even EllGab serves a purpose.

#PraiseMV!

Lilith

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 12, 2019, 01:09:38 PM
The circumstances allowed for a kind of self-sorting that is really interesting, sociologically.  I have been trying to come up with mental diagrams to account for it, plotting the various spectra such as

but none yield anything approaching a satisfactory conclusion.

I have my own definition of "Ellgabber".  It goes something like this:

People, who don't have much going on upstairs.  (I have even seen some who lurk at BellGab, to find something they can just change a word or two in the sentence, then go over to EllGab, and post it as their own original thought on a regular basis)

People who enjoy reading threads full of PC BS:  Hi Mary, Hi Joey, Great post Suzy, Love your avatar Rosey, etc.

People who need constant approval feedback, and therefore feed constant approval feedback to all other posters.

People who believe that posting pictures of candles etc. is more effective than getting out there and DOING something for other people.

People that need "safe space".

I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

AZZERAE

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 12, 2019, 01:09:38 PM
I have been trying to come up with mental diagrams to account for it, plotting the various spectra such as

For a person who dislikes those that attempt to place others in boxes, you sure do like placing people in boxes.

K_Dubb

Quote from: brig on August 12, 2019, 01:21:12 PM

People, who don't have much going on upstairs.  (I have even seen some who lurk at BellGab, to find something they can just change a word or two in the sentence, then go over to EllGab, and post it as their own original thought on a regular basis)

People who enjoy reading threads full of PC BS:  Hi Mary, Hi Joey, Great post Suzy, Love your avatar Rosey, etc.

People who need constant approval feedback, and therefore feed constant approval feedback to all other posters.

People who believe that posting pictures of candles etc. is more effective than getting out there and DOING something for other people.

First, I think your criteria are way better than mine.  Second, I can't shake the impression they could all be subsumed under

abnormal:normal

with all that "abnormal" implies.

I like Bart and think he is hilarious -- he's about the only person I try to read regularly -- and he has always been kind to me, but somehow I think he got the short end of the stick and might wish he had done things differently and would rather be over here.  What things, exactly, I can't put my finger on -- maybe it's as stupidly simple as the karma points and incessant chatter about them that drove people away.  Or the series of vanity bannings that must have settled old scores from the falkie thread I never followed because I couldn't explain them.  Or championing Schrader for reasons unknown.

I do know what it is like to address what you think is a profound thought to the void only to be met with silence, and it is daunting.  I like to think it is because once I have said a thing there is very little left to be said, but that is my own myth and God knows I lay my share of turds.  Maybe it really is the feedback or lack thereof that is responsible, giving us something like

confident:compassionate

K_Dubb

Quote from: AZRAA on August 12, 2019, 01:35:06 PM
For a person who dislikes those that attempt to place others in boxes, you sure do like placing people in boxes.

I don't like other people's boxes, silly.

Lilith

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 12, 2019, 01:43:30 PM
First, I think your criteria are way better than mine.  Second, I can't shake the impression they could all be subsumed under

abnormal:normal

with all that "abnormal" implies.

I like Bart and think he is hilarious -- he's about the only person I try to read regularly -- and he has always been kind to me, but somehow I think he got the short end of the stick and might wish he had done things differently and would rather be over here.  What things, exactly, I can't put my finger on -- maybe it's as stupidly simple as the karma points and incessant chatter about them that drove people away.  Or the series of vanity bannings that must have settled old scores from the falkie thread I never followed because I couldn't explain them.  Or championing Schrader for reasons unknown.

I do know what it is like to address what you think is a profound thought to the void only to be met with silence, and it is daunting.  I like to think it is because once I have said a thing there is very little left to be said, but that is my own myth and God knows I lay my share of turds.  Maybe it really is the feedback or lack thereof that is responsible, giving us something like

You will probably disagree with me, but I find compassionate BS to be more harmful than helpful.

Barts a big boy.  He could post here if he wanted to.  Maybe he does, under a different name.

K_Dubb

Quote from: brig on August 12, 2019, 01:48:35 PM
You will probably disagree with me, but I find compassionate BS to be more harmful than helpful.

Barts a big boy.  He could post here if he wanted to.  Maybe he does, under a different name.

It was mostly my own etymological joke; "compassion" means to suffer together.

K_Dubb

Lilith

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 12, 2019, 01:59:24 PM
It was mostly my own etymological joke; "compassion" means to suffer together.

Thank You for the clarification, although I think my response would still be the same. With that said, I was responding with this understanding of the word in mind:

K_Dubb

Quote from: brig on August 12, 2019, 02:10:04 PM
Thank You for the clarification, although I think my response would still be the same. With that said, I was responding with this understanding of the word in mind:

Understood.  I suppose

nauseating consensus:scathing hostility

poxes both our houses fairly.

paladin1991

Quote from: brig on August 12, 2019, 01:21:12 PM

People that need "safe space".

You are not the Brig who joined us are you?  Has BG led to an evolution on your world view?  Or are you her son, and she died a year ago, and you are keeping her web presence alive as 'proof' to the SSecurity dudes that they should keep sending her checks?

Asking for a friend.

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 12, 2019, 02:01:01 PM
I am quite sure we will all roast equally well.

Good to see you, Father.

And you, friend. Glad to see the lot of ya about!

WOTR

I found Bart to be intelligent and good to read. That said, I don't know that I ever had much for direct interactions with him (good or bad.) Perhaps that is why I was never banned?

As for Karma points- I will say that was one of the worst additions to a forum like this where encouraging discourse and opposing view points should be the goal. I know I actually started paying some attention to them. I would type out a post and know that some useless little bastard would sooner hit "negative karma" than type out a response. I still posted it- but I found there was a little voice in my head thinking about karma that I had to purposely ignore.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me (probably because I know I'm right.) ;) But when you have a feature like that it leads to self-censorship and group think. I had positive karma- but I would have preferred to remain "stuck" at 0.

I forget if there was a "joined date" or a post count displayed with every post- but that was another mistake. I would sooner that a new poster with a count of 10 put up an engaging, interesting post than a guy who was the second poster on the site with 10,000 posts put up another post saying "that's right."

Post counts and join dates encourage people to try driving up their post count and cause people to (consciously or subconsciously) feel as though one opinion should carry more weight than another.

There you have it. I don't hate Ellgab. And I can't say that those are the reasons I don't spend time there (the truth is that I already spend too much time on the net and monitoring a second board does not make sense right now.) However, those two features were piss poor choices.

Anybody is free to knock my karma on that site for this post.  :)

Lilith

Quote from: WOTR on August 12, 2019, 06:46:10 PM
I found Bart to be intelligent and good to read. That said, I don't know that I ever had much for direct interactions with him (good or bad.) Perhaps that is why I was never banned?

As for Karma points- I will say that was one of the worst additions to a forum like this where encouraging discourse and opposing view points should be the goal. I know I actually started paying some attention to them. I would type out a post and know that some useless little bastard would sooner hit "negative karma" than type out a response. I still posted it- but I found there was a little voice in my head thinking about karma that I had to purposely ignore.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me (probably because I know I'm right.) ;) But when you have a feature like that it leads to self-censorship and group think. I had positive karma- but I would have preferred to remain "stuck" at 0.

I forget if there was a "joined date" or a post count displayed with every post- but that was another mistake. I would sooner that a new poster with a count of 10 put up an engaging, interesting post than a guy who was the second poster on the site with 10,000 posts put up another post saying "that's right."

Post counts and join dates encourage people to try driving up their post count and cause people to (consciously or subconsciously) feel as though one opinion should carry more weight than another.

There you have it. I don't hate Ellgab. And I can't say that those are the reasons I don't spend time there (the truth is that I already spend too much time on the net and monitoring a second board does not make sense right now.) However, those two features were piss poor choices.

May I suggest you try asking Bart for millions of negative karmas?  It worked for me.

this all started because MV married, had some kids, and got religion. breaks the band up every time......

;D

EllGab employing a social credit score was a massive blunder as others have pointed out.

i have nothing personally against Bart. tbh i only had a handful of interactions with him and they were all pleasant.

in the end, posting over there wasn't challenging enough for me to be fun.

game over.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Richard Groyper on August 12, 2019, 08:43:55 PM
EllGab employing a social credit score was a massive blunder as others have pointed out.

i have nothing personally against Bart. tbh i only had a handful of interactions with him and they were all pleasant.

game over.

Do they take the social credit score seriously over there?

MV/Liberace!

Ellgab: BellGab's external karma point system.

WOTR

Quote from: Richard Groyper on August 12, 2019, 08:43:55 PM
That is a really interesting comment / commentary. I seem to recall that Bart was smitten with you. I assume that for him, you represented something that he found lacking...