• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road

Started by WeinerInHand, November 22, 2018, 01:04:20 PM

Metron2267

Chinese spaghetti (lo mein) is always welcome!

But the Vietnamese egg rolls are so much better than the typical Chinese fare, get them fried:

Or soft wrapped:

It's the rice paper that does it:

Metron2267

However I am also craving a nice plate of Mongolian Beef:

:P

WeinerInHand

The Mongolian Grill is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy! 🙂

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on January 08, 2019, 08:22:17 PM
The Mongolian Grill is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy! 🙂

Beer, as attributed to Ben Franklin. Likely apocryphal. The Argentinians also do good meat styling. As do we. Man, I had some of the best brisket over the New Years, was eating it for days. I don't know what he, a relation not by blood who is into BBQ cookoffs, did but so frigging good.

WeinerInHand

Texas and Georgia have the best brisket, in my opinion.

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on January 08, 2019, 08:29:02 PM
Texas and Georgia have the best brisket, in my opinion.
Never had Georgia brisket but some good old boys who came down here to hunt made a badass pork rump kind of deal.  This brisket was so damn good though. Better than most, and I've had great ones. Epic-level. And was good for days. I made with eggs, ate on sammiches, in addition to the first BBQ.

WeinerInHand

To me, the difference seems to be that Texas is all about big, flavorful, smoked chunks: where as the Georgian method is more ...eh, not quite the word I'm looking for but I'll say tender for lack of a better explanation.

WeinerInHand

Welp, this conversation has solidified my intention to eat at the Chinese buffet tomorrow! 🙂

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on January 08, 2019, 08:36:07 PM
To me, the difference seems to be that Texas is all about big, flavorful, smoked chunks: where as the Georgian method is more ...eh, not quite the word I'm looking for but I'll say tender for lack of a better explanation.
Done right here it is smoked but tender enough to just almost melt but my favorite part of it are end pieces and where the smoke/fat get caramelized, I guess. No need for any sauce. There is a joint near me though has a sorta Tex-Mex version where it is spicy also (maybe a rub or types of wood?) that is excellent also. But I do enjoy more normal ones in chopped beef sammich with sauce. But this one was heaven. I made a personal New Years bit where I put pieces into some black-eyed peas for New Year's Luck. So good, let it simmer for a bit. Good places, if going to buy and not make or have folks make, are places that have limited fixed hours- as in open from morning until no more left. Not always open (they use different systems including rotisseries etc.)

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on January 08, 2019, 08:38:43 PM
Welp, this conversation has solidified my intention to eat at the Chinese buffet tomorrow! 🙂
Somewhere on your travels find a place like "Panchos." All-U-Can-Eat Mexican. Likely not a good thing for driving but was satisfying back in the day! Had a little Mexican flag you would raise on table and the waitress would come over and take your order for more of whatever.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: albrecht on January 08, 2019, 08:45:00 PM
Somewhere on your travels find a place like "Panchos." All-U-Can-Eat Mexican. Likely not a good thing for driving but was satisfying back in the day! Had a little Mexican flag you would raise on table and the waitress would come over and take your order for more of whatever.

Haha - love it! When my brother was living in Baytown - we'd go to a family owned Mexican restaurant and that was some of the best food that I'd ever eaten! I can't remember the name of the place or the name of the different things that I tried, but I would always leave full and content.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: WeinerInHand on January 08, 2019, 08:53:53 PM
Haha - love it! When my brother was living in Baytown - we'd go to a family owned Mexican restaurant and that was some of the best food that I'd ever eaten! I can't remember the name of the place or the name of the different things that I tried, but I would always leave full and content.

I once had some kind of goat dish in a Mexican restaurant outside of San Antonio that was outstanding.  Can't remember the name of the dish or the restaurant. 

Spookcat

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 08, 2019, 03:15:56 PM
Chinese spaghetti (lo mein) is always welcome!

But the Vietnamese egg rolls are so much better than the typical Chinese fare, get them fried:

Or soft wrapped:

It's the rice paper that does it:

You sure about that?

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on January 08, 2019, 08:36:07 PM
Georgia is all about injection - Myron Mixon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dH88q71gKo

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on January 08, 2019, 08:45:00 PM

Ha!

Very much like the little green and red wood thingy (looks like a peper mill) you get on your table at an Argentinian grill.

If you leave it upside green, they keep bringing more:

Metron2267

Quote from: Spookcat on January 09, 2019, 02:05:34 AM
You sure about that?

Well yeah, Bahn Mi, baby!

Now what makes the Vietnamese baguette so tasty is the use of rice flour.

WeinerInHand

I feel sooo out of my league right now...

Metron2267

Oh brother, that kind of weather calls for something that sticks to your...uh...ribs... :P

WeinerInHand

Yep, my plan was to hit Cincinnati and get some but I got held up at this shipper. Hell, I was even listening to some Yoakam to prepare...

https://youtu.be/duOsI-rsyik

Metron2267

Great food and great music, that Yokam album is one of the best country sides ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3ypuKq8WE

Metron2267

Filmed that video in old Az.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_Basin_Railway
The Copper Basin Railway (reporting mark CBRY) is an Arizona short-line railroad that operates from a connection with the Union Pacific Railroad (UP) at Magma to Winkelman, in 54 miles (87 km) of length. The railroad also has a 7-mile (11 km) branch line that runs from Ray Junction to Ray, Arizona. There was formerly an interchange with the San Manuel Arizona Railroad (SMA) at Hayden. The CBRY exists primarily to serve a copper mine. L. S. “Jake” Jacobson is the President and Chief Operating Officer. In summer 2006, ASARCO Copper Corporation purchased the entire railroad.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 10, 2019, 03:48:49 PM
Great food and great music, that Yokam album is one of the best country sides ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3ypuKq8WE

He'd have to be in my top ten musical artists.

https://youtu.be/_GjY5rHQZ14