• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Teachers With Guns

Started by Zenman, February 23, 2018, 02:57:53 AM

paladin1991

Quote from: TigerLily on February 23, 2018, 03:19:14 PM
I can handle guns and rifles. I have an NRA card. I am also a libtard, lemming, prog [add your favorite slur here] from evil California and have never shot a living thing but I did get a good bead on a jackrabbit once.

I have been considering the arm teachers idea.  True, a great boon to the gun manufacturers and sellers fronted by the NRA (always follow the money) but is it a reasonable deterrent to keep schoolkids safe?  And think, urban cops when they come across a gunman with an automatic rifle call SWAT. But teachers should do this?  There are so many practical considerations. What percentage of teachers should be armed? Training, etc., guns should be  locked up or strapped at all times? Costs?

And now the hard part. You're a certified strapped teacher watching the kids on the playground during recess. You hear gunshots on the other side of the quad. You tell your kids to run to homeroom and hope they get there safely unprotected while you charge toward the sounds of shooting. You see a young man with an assault rifle (you are going against him with a Glock 22, no armor except your recess whistle) firing at will who you recognize as one of your former students. "He seemed like such a quiet kid, maybe I should have reached out to him more", crosses your mind. You take aim and fire, or don't. He sees you first and fires at you while you see other kids naturally coming closer to you for protection. You shoot him and he dies. Or you die. Or other kids die. The gunman dies but you have to spend the rest of your life staying awake at night wondering if you could have saved him or more of your kids.   Turning our teachers into armed combatants is our first best solution? Seems really drastic.  How about Prevention first?

How about starting with sensible laws controlling access to automatic rifles?  Sam Zeif mentioned the laws enacted after the one and only school shooting in Australia:

... among other things, the Australian government “banned automatic and semiautomatic firearms, adopted new licensing requirements, established a national firearms registry, and instituted a 28-day waiting period for gun purchases. It also bought and destroyed more than 600,000 civilian-owned firearms, in a scheme that cost half a billion dollars and was funded by raising taxes.” The entire overhaul, Friedman pointed out, took just months to implement

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/10/australia-gun-control/541710/

You work on that prevention angle.  I support you on that. Not the Aussie method, but let's treat the sickness amongst us in our society.  But the rest?  I know you wonder how anyone can charge a semi auto rifle with only a pistol.  But there are plenty of men and women who would attack that threat with their bare hands.  It's the way they are made.  It's not the way you are made, nor are most civilians. 

There is no way you can understand how an individual with a pistol can meet the threat, neutralize and dominate the situation.  I'm not gonna talk shit to you or belittle you.  Unless you are made that way, you just can't understand. 

Quote from: paladin1991 on February 28, 2018, 08:22:24 PM
And put them.....where?

I see what you are saying.  I even agree with what you are saying.  That's why I advocate hiring Vets.  Most of us BJ, are not Rambo.  We're just some guy or gal who did his duty and are home now.

Understood, Gunny.  Even if you're not Rambo, I'm willing to bet that you are a lot closer than a shop teacher no matter how many training classes he takes.  I like your idea.  Military veterans may well be the best type of people to put in these positions.

As far as where?  At home.  Home school.  I'm looking into it.  My neighbor does it with her kids.  And like Gravity pointed out, it may well be an emotional response which may not be entirely rational.   On the other hand, here in our hometown, there was a high school kid arrested recently for making threats on the school.  I guess he's up in Juvi right now. 

What the hell happened in the last twenty years?  What?  Why are these kids harboring this festering hatred?   

paladin1991

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on February 28, 2018, 06:09:06 PM
Yes, they certainly would fit the bill.  I'd like to make the distinction that we are talking about vets who's ONLY priority is security...a teacher who may also be a vet has too much responsibility on his/her plate to be effective IMO.  I'd like to see a security person/force with eyes out front for the sake of possibly staving off a threat before it even enters the building.  Any thing else is a half-measure IMO. 

If you have a teacher who is willing to carry a gun and go through training could be integrated into the security detail as a secondary measure.  Something else that rarely gets talked about is emergency medical training.  How many kids have bled out in these scenarios waiting for LE/EMTs to get there?  A tourniquet, bandages, clotting agent, etc and some training could go a long way in those crucial minutes.

I'm afraid we are going to find out as the investigation develops. 

paladin1991

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on February 28, 2018, 08:45:35 PM
Understood, Gunny.  Even if you're not Rambo, I'm willing to bet that you are a lot closer than a shop teacher no matter how many training classes he takes.  I like your idea.  Military veterans may well be the best type of people to put in these positions.

As far as where?  At home.  Home school.  I'm looking into it.  My neighbor does it with her kids.  And like Gravity pointed out, it may well be an emotional response which may not be entirely rational.   On the other hand, here in our hometown, there was a high school kid arrested recently for making threats on the school.  I guess he's up in Juvi right now. 

What the hell happened in the last twenty years?  What?  Why are these kids harboring this festering hatred?
I believe that is the question to be asking.

If you are able to homeschool, I applaud you. 

Dr. MD MD

Just spitballing here but I'm thinking maybe it's all the dope we put them on before they can tie their own shoes combined with the apathy they witness their parents have to the fact that we do this X1000 around the world. However, all this doesn't account for the truly evil way they're being used by law enforcement agencies to ram through their political agendas. It's amazing people aren't rioting in the streets over this. ::)

Quote from: paladin1991 on February 28, 2018, 08:48:45 PM
  I believe that is the question to be asking.

If you are able to homeschool, I applaud you.

We are in a position to, but not sure if we are "able."  Haha. 

Gd5150

How about in the “school zone” which is fenced and gated so anyone entering has a shock collar put on their neck. If they get out of line they’re zapped. If they whip out their AR15 assault rocket launching machine nucular warhead, they’re immediately zapped and rendered lifeless until their weapon can be confiscated.

Zenman

Quote from: albrecht on February 28, 2018, 05:11:20 PM
Exactly. Trained, disciplined, have a set of skills that could be suited, integrates them into the community, someone for the kids to look up to, gives them a job, and protects the kids. An obvious solution that some Schools or School Districts could try.

I like it. Much more so than Trump's idea he just tweeted about to "take the guns first, then go thru due-process later", explaining that it can take too long. Jeez, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt when I can, but he lost quite a few credibility points with me on that one. Why don't we just use the predictive crime models and then do some preemptive arrest sweeps while we're at it?

Jackstar

Why are these kids harboring this festering hatred?

Nothing substantive has been done about any pressing global issue for decades--let alone local ones. Anyone over the age of about fifty-five can pretty much go fuck themselves now, literally none of us care.

This is just the beginning. Ye were warned.

Lord Grantham

http://www.newsweek.com/florida-sex-marijuana-middle-school-teacher-sheriff-detective-824815

Teachers are holy blameless creatures and can be trusted implicitly to do the right thing.

albrecht

Quote from: Zenman on February 28, 2018, 09:28:49 PM
I like it. Much more so than Trump's idea he just tweeted about to "take the guns first, then go thru due-process later", explaining that it can take too long. Jeez, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt when I can, but he lost quite a few credibility points with me on that one. Why don't we just use the predictive crime models and then do some preemptive arrest sweeps while we're at it?
That has already started in a lesser way (used to be called "round up the usual suspects" or "profiling") but now with computer modeling and in the future AI who knows where it will go? The British even have experimented on some "early intervention" based on genetics and family history in pilot programs I've heard. Of course using information to help those "at risk" from becoming criminals or crazy is good, as is using information to target certain areas/communities for increased surveillence, but thought-crime and pre-crime arrests based on some computer model or AI is because statistics say you are most likely to offend is troubling!

ps: I also get a kick out of all these Progressives and Democrats clamoring for Trump to take the guns. The same ones who accused Trump of being a "new Hitler" or "Putin's Puppet." So they are, by their own rhetoric, saying "Hitler Take Our Guns!" "Putin Take Our Guns!" And the people who should, at least by Progressive history, historically fear governments the worst: the poor, minorities, social sexual deviants, illegals, the workers, etc now trust the government more than their fellow citizens in their own neighborhoods and communities? Really "power to the people," "democratic" idealism there.  :o Governments are more responsible for deaths (wars, bad economic policy, slavery, etc etc I'm sure the average Progressive could list a litany) than some poor farmer with a gun. Or even more than an inner-city gangbanger with his gat.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 01, 2018, 09:17:08 AM
http://m.wsfa.com/wsfa/db_330846/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=669pThpH

Just like school resource officers apparrently.
AISD Police Officer's truck (Austin's school district has its own police force) impounded but, so far, he is not arrested for a bad hit-and-run on a woman in a parking lot that was caught on tape.
http://kxan.com/2018/03/01/police-identify-person-of-interest-after-woman-run-over-by-pickup/

Zenman

In Pennsylvania, they're requiring each classroom to have a 5 gallon bucket full of rocks, and they're training the students and teachers with "rock drills".