• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bruin Thieves In China

Started by Zenman, November 14, 2017, 09:10:49 PM

Zenman

So, should Trump have bailed them out, or should he have let them sit for a while longer, or not have bailed them out at all? My neighbor thinks the coaches are responsible for letting them go out on their own without having warned them of the dangers of being in a foreign country. I told him I bet they did get warned more than once.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/11/14/3-ucla-basketball-players-arrested-in-china-arrive-in-los-angeles/

albrecht

Quote from: Zenman on November 14, 2017, 09:10:49 PM
So, should Trump have bailed them out, or should he have let them sit for a while longer, or not have bailed them out at all? My neighbor thinks the coaches are responsible for letting them go out on their own without having warned them of the dangers of being in a foreign country. I told him I bet they did get warned more than once.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/11/14/3-ucla-basketball-players-arrested-in-china-arrive-in-los-angeles/
Young people, even adults, do stupid things and I don't like anybody, save violent criminals, going into a Chinese prison system. Coaches are responsible to an extent- if they didn't warn players, didn't have curfew, etc- but the players are adults (even if coddled by society for being athletes, college students, and minority) and should've known better. I say take away the scholarships and prohibit them from playing NCAA sports. Allow to stay in school but not with athletic or racial "affirmative action" or easy entry- but on merit and paying for it like any other student. Community service also should be warranted. But Chinese prison? Nah. Chinese steal so much from us in terms of technology, patents, VISAs, currency manipulation, and counterfeiting I'm not too worried about some "youths" trying to steal some stuff. So good to bring them back home, I guess.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Zenman on November 14, 2017, 09:10:49 PM

I hope President Trump admonishes them on live TV.

comaphobe

Choose any 3 items = $8.99

Egg roll
Spring roll
Sum yung dindu
Lemon chicken
Sweet and sour ribs
Chow mein
Fried rice

Fortune cookie = $ .75

The fortune cookie reads: "Shizz blizz dis biz be shizzy n shit"

Zenman

Quote from: albrecht on November 14, 2017, 09:22:20 PM
Young people, even adults, do stupid things and I don't like anybody, save violent criminals, going into a Chinese prison system. Coaches are responsible to an extent- if they didn't warn players, didn't have curfew, etc- but the players are adults (even if coddled by society for being athletes, college students, and minority) and should've known better. I say take away the scholarships and prohibit them from playing NCAA sports. Allow to stay in school but not with athletic or racial "affirmative action" or easy entry- but on merit and paying for it like any other student. Community service also should be warranted. But Chinese prison? Nah. Chinese steal so much from us in terms of technology, patents, VISAs, currency manipulation, and counterfeiting I'm not too worried about some "youths" trying to steal some stuff. So good to bring them back home, I guess.

I don't disagree with much of that. I agree that leaving them in a Chinese prison for any length of time would be way harsh.  I'd suspend them from NCAA sports for at least a year tho, allowing them future eligibility provided they lived up to pretty much all of the other stuff you mentioned. I would, however, force them to wear cheap, crappy, non-designer shades during the probationary period. In fact, I'd make it a requirement.

albrecht

Quote from: Zenman on November 14, 2017, 09:51:41 PM
I don't disagree with much of that. I agree that leaving them in a Chinese prison for any length of time would be way harsh.  I'd suspend them from NCAA sports for at least a year tho, allowing them future eligibility provided they lived up to pretty much all of the other stuff you mentioned. I would, however, force them to wear cheap, crappy, non-designer shades during the probationary period. In fact, I'd make it a requirement.
Ha. I was going to suggest those "Ferrari" folding sunglasses from the 80's but looking online and see that they go for some coin now and would be popular with hipsters or they would create a new urban fad. So instead some cheap Chinese knock-off sunglasses of a major brand that provides no UV protection but, due to dark plastic, means their pupils get even MORE UV rays in them.

Of course get them out of there if we can (and that's been done) - China doesn't have a true justice system that respects human rights - but they should be kicked off the team.  Learning a life lesson is so much more important to their development as adults than reinforcing the idea they are special and above the law. 

UCLA for all intents and purposes is a professional team - except they don't pay their players a salary - one of the ''elite'' teams that cashes in on the revenue and prestige the program brings in.  All these teams are ''dirty'', whether it's NCAA violations in some form or other, or simply the unethical pretense that these players are ''student-athletes'' when they really aren't.  DiAngelo Ball is going to go pro after his freshman season, just like his brother did last year.  If the other two are NBA material they won't finish school either.  It's a joke.

So no way UCLA does the right thing and kicks them off the team.  It would ruin their season and cost them money.  And possible future recruits.  The ''donors'' would go apeshit.  But they ought to - and if the sport wasn't so greedy and corrupt and really cared about the kids, they would

It is difficult for me to believe the coaches didn't go over the fact that they are playing in China, that US laws don't apply, that they are representing their schools, the team, the country, and all the rest.  They had to have done so. 

But whether they did or not, each of these idiots know they shouldn't steal - regardless of whether their ''African-American'' Studies courses tell them they're entitled to do so or not.  Even if Colon Kapernick and BLM tell them they are owed something.

Since they apparently haven't learned that yet, they need to.  Or they're going to end up being punks for the rest of their lives.

Zenman

Well, it sounds like they were listening to us, lol. Just heard the press conference--lots of seemingly sincere apologies. Coaches also apologized and say indefinite suspension and they'll have to work their way back in. Sounds like they might have to reimburse UCLA for the expenses incurred because of the their actions. Said that the Chinese police caught them with the goods. Apparently one of them didn't admit to the theft but the other 2 did. 

So, I guess the question is: what does "indefinite" suspension mean? Sounds like they got off pretty light. Wonder how it would've turned out if the game had been in Saudi Arabia or Nigeria?

Little Hater

In this case, 'indefinite' means 'until the Twitterverse moves on to another 'crisis''.

Quote from: Little Hater on November 15, 2017, 06:56:53 PM
In this case, 'indefinite' means 'until the Twitterverse moves on to another 'crisis''.

Correct.  Most of the time those being punished know what the punishment is. 

What this looks like is wanting to appear to take this seriously, them find some reason to reinstate them certainly in time to have a good season and get a good seeding in the NCAA Tournament.  But at least it's something. 

I love the ''this isn't who I am'' and ''they made a mistake''.

You did this, this is who you are.  Hopefully you will change.

A ''mistake'' is turning right instead of left, or putting on mismatched socks.  This is something they decided to do, and they each went along with it.  In multiple stores.  Probably not for the first time.  That's a deliberate act, not a ''mistake''.