• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

Taaroa

Stunned holidaymaker spots can of Stella in the COCKPIT of Jet2 flight coming home from Alicante 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4901924/Can-Stella-COCKPIT-Jet2-flight-Alicante.html

::) Quality article.

Taaroa

I think Hog was asking about the F35 and ejection seats?

QuoteThe U.S. Air Force’s Technical Airworthiness Authority completed an internal report on May 1 and the experts concluded that the F-35’s ejection seat will not be able to save pilots in rare cases.

Specifically, the seat might not work properly in “off-nominal” conditions â€" when the jet is out of control. The F-35 Joint Program Office choose not to spend more money and time to test how the seat will work in those conditions.
Testers at the Pentagon are also worried whether the polymer cockpit canopy might hit the pilot during an ejection. By design, the canopy will jettison and shatter when the pilot bails out.

http://www.rollcall.com/news//safety-experts-some-f-35-ejections-pose-serious-death-risk/

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Taaroa on September 20, 2017, 10:11:49 AM
I think Hog was asking about the F35 and ejection seats?

http://www.rollcall.com/news//safety-experts-some-f-35-ejections-pose-serious-death-risk/

They considered the seat fitted in the Mig29 after it went in at a display in France. But after evaluating it they found it was far too heavy for the airframe and I think other issues that made it impossible. Doesn't the F35 have an MDC running through the canopy?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 20, 2017, 10:18:05 AM
They considered the seat fitted in the Mig29 after it went in at a display in France. But after evaluating it they found it was far too heavy for the airframe and I think other issues that made it impossible. Doesn't the F35 have an MDC running through the canopy?

F-35 does have a charge in the transparency, but I don't remember if it's MDC or LSC.

Saying the K36 was considered for JSF is a bit misleading.  The seat was to be selected by and provided to the government as contractor furnished equipment (CFE) by the prime contractor.  All three initial contractors (McDonnell Douglas, Boeing, Lockheed Martin) looked at multiple seats in detail, including the K36.  McDD was eliminated at the down select, with Boeing and LM each proceeding to design/build/fly concept demonstrator aircraft (CDA).  Boeing selected a Martin Baker Mk16 for their CDA, LM chose a Stencel S3S (essentially an AV-8 Harrier seat). The seat for the final production a/c was still TBD by each contractor at this point, however.

While the K36 was still in play, the technical risks (as evaluated by the government) associated with its selection by either contractor would have been high. The seat was not qualified to US specifications and would have required an extensive full qualification test program that would have had significant cost and schedule impacts.  The energetic materials used in the various cartridges and rockets on the seat would have had to have been redesigned/replaced due to environmental and safety issues, again a costly and time consuming endeavor.  There were also legal questions concerning who actually held the rights (and what rights) to the K36 in the West.  Zvezda, the Russian design bureau that designed and owned its rights, sold the rights to produce the seat in the US to a start up company called IBP.  IBP, in turn, started shopping those rights to established US companies.  There was concern, however, that while a US company could legally manufacture the seats, the custodian for design (CFD) of the seat apparently remained with Zvezda.  This would also have been a red flag to the US government, Russian involvement in the event of need for engineering mods/redesigns. 

The seat selected by LM for the production a/c was the MB Mk16, this is known because LM won the competition.  What loser Boeing offered is considered competition sensitive and is releasable only by them.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Taaroa on September 20, 2017, 02:21:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maF-5PHUyTI

Flap for takeoff and a long takeoff roll...  ;)

I imagine the longish roll was for the audience. But other than that looked a clean enough take off.

Taaroa

Drone collides with US Army Black Hawk
QuoteAn Army chopper was struck by an illegally flying drone over a residential neighborhood, authorities said Friday.

The UA60 helicopter was flying 500 feet over Midland Beach alongside another Black Hawk, when the drone struck the chopper at around 8:15 p.m. Thursday. The US Army confirmed the drone struck the left side of fuselage just behind the co-pilot’s door with debris from the disintegrated drone striking one of the Black Hawk’s four main rotor blades causing minor damage.

The Black Hawk made a normal approach and landing at the nearby Linden Airport in New Jersey.

The Federal Aviation Administration restricts the flying of drones and model aircrafts within five miles of airports in any direction. Under FAA guidelines, the drones should not be flown near buildings or bridges or more than 400 feet in the air. They are also illegal to fly anywhere in the Big Apple except in parks.

The NYPD and the military are investigating â€" but no arrests have been made.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/22/army-helicopter-hit-by-drone/
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/drone-hits-army-helicopter-over-new-york

Swishypants

https://youtu.be/z0uRuoriapY

If you're not a Sailplane Pilot, you ain't sheeeyat! I'm talking all day at the Gliderport; brown baggin' it! I'm talking Kangol's and Blu Blockers and pre-lesbian Kristy McNichol oiled up with Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion, in the bushes, NO CONDOM! Miller High Life, the Champagne of Beers!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on September 29, 2017, 03:28:46 PM
https://youtu.be/z0uRuoriapY

If you're not a Sailplane Pilot, you ain't sheeeyat! I'm talking all day at the Gliderport; brown baggin' it! I'm talking Kangol's and Blu Blockers and pre-lesbian Kristy McNichol oiled up with Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion, in the bushes, NO CONDOM! Miller High Life, the Champagne of Beers!

I was suspicious of you, but you redeemed yourself. Silent flight is the only way to fly. Propellers only add drag anyway.

Swishypants

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 29, 2017, 03:49:09 PM

Damn!!! I'm no longer happy now...  :(

Do keep in mind you were just advised by 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on September 29, 2017, 04:01:20 PM
Do keep in mind you were just advised by 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Memo to MV: Everyone on BG must use their real names.  :(

Swishypants

If you wouldn't hit that you're a fucking liar, or in 21st's case, let it hit him with a peg.  She reminds me of a Basset Hound. I would shave that shit and take it to Long John Silvers!!!

Swishypants

21st is a closet progressive, back-stabbing, little bi-sexual shit-stain that if you met in real life you'd want to pressure-point within' minutes.

Quote from: Swishypants on September 29, 2017, 04:12:16 PM
21st is a closet progressive, back-stabbing, little bi-sexual shit-stain that if you met in real life you'd want to pressure-point within' minutes.

Hey MV, guess who's back?  Bring out the Raid.

Yorkshire pud

This made the news when it happened. Unauthorised take off... Lots of paperwork!  ;D

https://youtu.be/TGjPu6DPzWU

Taaroa

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 01, 2017, 09:53:58 AM
This made the news when it happened. Unauthorised take off... Lots of paperwork!  ;D

Didn't this occur with the Vulcan that was restored too? I wonder if they calculated V₁...

Hog

Quote from: Taaroa on August 03, 2017, 06:00:39 AM
It was ambitious, but at this point it just seems a bit like a money sink. Latest news I heard about it was that they were having oxygen supply issues for pilots which is what also occurred in the F22 a few years ago.

I can't really comment on Canada's situation, but I imagine it has largely similar issues to Australia with the bonus of cold weather.
Australia bought the F35 after intense lobbying for the F22, but has since bought Superhornets and Growlers while maintaining F18s to supplement the force until the F35 is in service. Seems the way things are going is that the Superhornets and Growlers are going to be a permanent fixture even when the F35 arrives.
Australia's military is been somewhat defensive oriented with the assumed enemies being to the north *cough* Indonesia *cough*, and the result is that there are a number of 'empty' airbases in the north of the country that can be quickly brought online in the event of war. Now let's say there's a war with Indonesia; the range of the F35 means that it can't reach Jakarta from the closest base without aerial refueling unlike the now retired F111. It also can't ferry between the east and west coast without refueling somewhere.

Then you have the two mini aircraft carriers that are now in service - they're perfectly capable of operating the F35B, but the government refused to order any of those or make a few changes (eg heat resistant deck coating) to allow it. So now you've got what are essentially helicopter carriers with ramps.
The Australian government is too far down the rabbit hole to pull out now, and Australia is even one of the few designated places where maintenance and upgrades will be carried out (the result is this situation: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lockheed-fighter-southkorea-idUSKBN0JW06O20141218 ).

tldr the F35 was probably a mistake but it's too late now.

Oh and as to the redundancy issue, I think for military aircraft modern engines are reliable enough to just use single engines. It's more of an issue for civil aircraft where you have passenger lives at risk and no chance of bailing out.
Bolded emphasis nine, I remember the dual engine requirement being discussed with importance focused on Arctic overflight missions.  Even if the pilot got out safely, the Arctic conditions could kill before rescue was possible.
As far as I know, Canada is out of the F-35 game now.

"On 22 November 2016 Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan announced that the country would acquire 18 Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets as an interim measure, to make up for waning capabilities in the aging CF-18 fleet. Sajjan described that continuing to fly the CF-18s past their lifespan dates "would be imprudent and irresponsible".

"F-35 manufacturer Lockheed Martin responded to the Canadian announcement, "although disappointed with this decision, we remain confident the F-35 is the best solution to meet Canada's operational requirements at the most affordable price, and the F-35 has proven in all competitions to be lower in cost than fourth-generation competitors"

I really cant see F-35 being less expensive than a 4th Generation platform on an airframe to airframe comparison. Perhaps the F-35s newer functions  acting as a "force multiplier" meaning less a/c needed per sortie would bring the F-35 down under a 4th gen fighters cost??

F-22 would be great, but that wont be happening for any non-US country.

The CF-188 was introduced in 1983 with 138 airframes delivered. At least 20 a/c have been lost
over the years.
There was talk about getting Irans F-14s at a huge discount, but that evaporated quickly.

F-18 E/Fs will work nicely.

For a moment at around 7:15 of this video I thought the Hornet was inverted.  That painted on faux canopy got me, as designed.
the afterburners/Mach diamonds were showing quite nicely in this twilight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL8mSL5PCec

And Taaroa, thanks for the input about the F-35 and its ejection seat capability.

peace
Hog

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 01, 2017, 09:53:58 AM

During the ultralight craze of the early/mid 80s, a young colleague of mine bought a factory built (not a kit) single seat ultralight.  He went to the factory for a week-long course on how to fly and maintain his new toy, and to build up some flight time before coming home.  He decided he'd save some money by teaching his wife how to fly it upon his return, rather than enroll her in the class.  In hindsight, this was a near fatal mistake.

Part of the training for ultralights is (was?) what is termed "crow hopping".  This is simply fast taxiing, lifting off the ground a few feet, followed by a quick landing, multiple times down the length of the runway.  While this might have worked for him with a trained instructor, there was obviously not a meeting of the minds between the two of them. After a couple "hops" she became fully airborne.  Apparently she had learned enough during his instruction to keep the a/c under control, but did not know how to land.  She flew around the small ultralight field for maybe 15 minutes, screaming for help as he ran along trying to stay with her.  Long story short, she finally cut the throttle and rode it in.  The a/c was a write-off, but she escaped with only relatively minor injuries and an overnight hospital stay.  Interestingly, they divorced not long afterwards.