• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 11, 2018, 10:26:29 AM
So it would seem that Ivan's bomber crews are.....  err.   Well "veteran" to put it delicately.   

Doesn't look like they've missed many meals either.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 11, 2018, 10:17:43 PM
Doesn't look like they've missed many meals either.

Boris packed on the weight when he was down with that hip replacement.   ::)

I guess we should not jest.  Most Russian males his age are dead.

Taaroa

QuoteAn Aeromexico Boeing 737-800 flight from Guadalajara to Tijuana (Mexico), was on final approach to Tijuana's runway 09 when the radome received damage. The crew continued for a safe landing.

The airline confirmed the incident and said they were investigating what caused the damage.

Mexican media are speculating about a drone impact having caused the damage. 

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c185005&opt=0

ADS-B is showing a couple of Raytheon Texan II's airborne down in Pensacola. Guess some new Naval Aviator's are being forged today.

Taaroa

JAPAN TO ACQUIRE F-35BS TO OPERATE OFF MODIFIED AIRCRAFT CARRIERS
QuoteJapan will have its first aircraft carriers since World War 2 after announcing its intention to acquire up to 42 short takeoff and vertical landing F-35B variants of the Lockheed Martin Joint Strike Fighter to operate off its Izumo class helicopter carrier ships.

The decisions are part of a larger defence review announced by the Japanese government on December 18. The plan calls for an initial buy of 18 F-35Bs to stand up the capability and to integrate the aircraft with Japan’s two 27,000 tonne Izumo class helicopter carriers â€" technically helicopter destroyers (DDHs) â€" JMS Izumo and Kaga.

“We will refit Maritime Self-Defense Force multipurpose helicopter destroyers so fighter jets capable of short takeoffs and vertical landings can be deployed when necessary,” the Japanese government’s newest five-year defence plan reads, the Japan Times reported.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/12/japan-to-acquire-f-35bs-to-operate-off-modified-aircraft-carriers/

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 22, 2018, 08:27:10 AM
China will just *love* this.................    :P

I think that’s the point. Communism MUST be defeated...for good.  ;)

Taaroa

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 22, 2018, 08:27:10 AM
China will just *love* this.................    :P
Well it's China who's prompting all these arms buildups in Asia, and I think it's understamdable for Japan to react when they're a specific target of Chinese sabre rattling.

Fun fact: Australia sold their old aircraft carrier to China to be scrapped, but instead was studied intensely and used by the Chinese navy for their own carrier program. You're welcome.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on December 21, 2018, 11:28:10 PM
JAPAN TO ACQUIRE F-35BS TO OPERATE OFF MODIFIED AIRCRAFT CARRIERS
http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/12/japan-to-acquire-f-35bs-to-operate-off-modified-aircraft-carriers/

Almost exactly a year ago we had a conversation in this thread about the Japanese/SKs/Aussies basing Harriers and F-35s on their helicopter carriers.  Looks like the difficulties involved in making those ships STO/VL jet capable are not insurmountable.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 22, 2018, 10:52:40 AM
Almost exactly a year ago we had a conversation in this thread about the Japanese/SKs/Aussies basing Harriers and F-35s on their helicopter carriers.  Looks like the difficulties involved in making those ships STO/VL jet capable are not insurmountable.

Well best of luck to the new carrier Kaga - their last one had a hard end.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on December 22, 2018, 10:50:06 AM
Well it's China who's prompting all these arms buildups in Asia, and I think it's understamdable for Japan to react when they're a specific target of Chinese sabre rattling.

Fun fact: Australia sold their old aircraft carrier to China to be scrapped, but instead was studied intensely and used by the Chinese navy for their own carrier program. You're welcome.

I read story in the news years ago about how we sold them the world’s largest decommisioned aircraft carrier that they said they were going to turn into a restaurant attraction or something. They didn’t. Smooth move, Exlax! ::) ;D

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Jackstar on December 24, 2018, 01:00:42 PM
https://boingboing.net/2018/06/20/nazi-ufo-toy-model-pulled-from.html

Obvious limited hangout is obvious.

The anti-Swastika "mania" in Europe is quite real.  I've been to a number of air shows in the UK, Ireland, and the continent  and you will never see a WWII era German aircraft or replica with a Swastika on the vertical stabilizer as it would have appeared during the war.   Considering how detail oriented the European warbird community is relative to accuracy of paint schemes and markings, the Swastika absence is noteworthy.

I also remember reading somewhere there was a great deal of serious discussion about the German aircraft in the 1969 movie "Battle of Britain" wearing Swastikas.  I think the producers had to jump through hoops to get permission to put them on the a/c in the film.

Taaroa

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 22, 2018, 10:52:40 AM
As an addendum to this, they're saying that the Izumo won't have any airborne early warning aircraft complement and instead will rely on external E2Ds and E767s. The site I read it on has a broken source link so I'm uncertain about their phrasing, but it seems like they're not doing this because it is deemed as an offensive capability which would be against Article 9 of their post WW2 constitution.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on December 25, 2018, 08:18:58 AM
As an addendum to this, they're saying that the Izumo won't have any airborne early warning aircraft complement and instead will rely on external E2Ds and E767s. The site I read it on has a broken source link so I'm uncertain about their phrasing, but it seems like they're not doing this because it is deemed as an offensive capability which would be against Article 9 of their post WW2 constitution.

That actually makes sense, since their military forces are designated as a self defense force only, and in a defensive role their ships would be (in theory) within range of their land based AEW platforms.   Besides, it is doubtful the Japanese would ever act outside of a coalition effort led by the US and could take advantage of USN AEW a/c.

If they change their mind, they could develop a helicopter borne AEW capability similar to what has been used by the Royal Navy since the Falklands War.  Not a great answer to the problem due to range, endurance, speed, and altitude limitations of helicopters, but better than nothing.  In the mid 90s, as part of the EIRT for the CV-22,  the Boeing team briefed us on an AEW variant of the Osprey they hoped to market to nations using ski jump carriers and possible even the USN for their assault ships.  Sounded like a reasonable concept, but have never heard of it since.

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 28, 2018, 08:35:57 PM
Is this the new supersonic that our stuff, apparently, cannot touch? ???

Hypersonic and no, this is just a video of a Soviet era plane

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on December 28, 2018, 09:27:50 PM
Hypersonic and no, this is just a video of a Soviet era plane

What’s the difference between super and hyper? Why no vids on the new plane that Russian and China apparently have now? ???

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 29, 2018, 10:18:37 AM
What’s the difference between super and hyper? Why no vids on the new plane that Russian and China apparently have now? ???
Hypersonic is much faster (eg Mach 5) and has some different aerodynamics compared to supersonic.

Which plane?

https://youtu.be/PkpkyZaj7RU