• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 26, 2018, 10:29:20 AM
Probably have more success developing the Tu160 design into a large, supersonic business jet for the ultra rich than a commercial airliner type transport.  I've never been in a Tu160, but assume it's similar in layout to the B-1.  No wasted space internally, even taking out all the military unique systems I doubt they could accomodate enough seats in the a/c to make it economically viable as an airliner.   Would also be a challenge to modify the a/c to met commercial emergency ground egress requirements for even a couple dozen people.

But apart from it being a completely unsuitable donor platform, it'll be perfect!  ;D

Taaroa

Bombardier wins trade dispute in US

QuoteA Canadian aerospace firm which faced damaging import tariffs on one of its jets has won a trade dispute in the United States. In a surprise ruling, the US International Trade Commission (ITC) rejected a complaint brought by Boeing. The ITC voted 4-0 in favour of Bombardier.

They ruled that there was no injury to US manufacturers, effectively forcing the US Commerce Department to reverse course on retaliatory countermeasures designed to protect Boeing.

Tariffs of 292% will not now be imposed on orders of C-Series planes by American carriers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-42825916

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 26, 2018, 10:29:20 AM
Probably have more success developing the Tu160 design into a large, supersonic business jet for the ultra rich than a commercial airliner type transport.  I've never been in a Tu160, but assume it's similar in layout to the B-1.  No wasted space internally, even taking out all the military unique systems I doubt they could accomodate enough seats in the a/c to make it economically viable as an airliner.   Would also be a challenge to modify the a/c to met commercial emergency ground egress requirements for even a couple dozen people.

I took it more to mean that they were wanting to use the technologies involved in the Tu160 to develop a new aircraft, but even that would be unlikely for a civilian aircraft.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Taaroa on January 26, 2018, 04:48:20 PM

I took it more to mean that they were wanting to use the technologies involved in the Tu160 to develop a new aircraft, but even that would be unlikely for a civilian aircraft.

It's not without precedent. The engines in this...

...Were the basis of the engines in this.

That's pretty much where the similarities ended though. Concorde was the genesis for many civil aircraft innovations we now take for granted.

Supposedly this means that three of the four NEACP doomsday birds were up at the same time:

https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/958038632241254400

It has the GLP crew all tripping balls right now but then again what doesn't?

I don't know squat about this but the claim is it's unprecedented........

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 10:23:20 PM
Supposedly this means that three of the four NEACP doomsday birds were up at the same time:

https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/958038632241254400

It has the GLP crew all tripping balls right now but then again what doesn't?

I don't know squat about this but the claim is it's unprecedented........

Two were damaged by a hurricane last summer at Offutt. They must have gotten them fixed. I think there are only 3 in service. I haven’t heard the alert fighters take off fom Ellington. Yet.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 29, 2018, 10:30:16 PM
Two were damaged by a hurricane last summer at Offutt. They must have gotten them fixed. I think there are only 3 in service. I haven’t heard the alert fighters take off fom Ellington. Yet.

How the hell does that happen?  Hurricanes don't exactly sneak up and bite you in this day and age.

Here's a picture supposedly taken from inside of one of those Nightwatch birds.   The equipment has an early 90's vibe to it:

Looks like there are two 24pin RS-232 ports patched together and damned if that doesn't look like a 3290 orange on black plasma
display there.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 10:34:54 PM
How the hell does that happen?  Hurricanes don't exactly sneak up and bite you in this day and age.

Sorry. Hurricane on the brain. It was a tornado.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 29, 2018, 10:53:20 PM
Sorry. Hurricane on the brain. It was a tornado.

Ha!  Yeah, I figured as much once I thought about it.  Not too many Hurricanes out there in the tall corn.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 10:54:43 PM
Ha!  Yeah, I figured as much once I thought about it.  Not too many Hurricanes out there in the tall corn.

I was stationed there from 78-82. Sometime during that tour, there was one of those Penthouse letters published and it was purported to be from a female in the USAF having a dalliance with a general on board one of those.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 29, 2018, 10:58:23 PM
I was stationed there from 78-82. Sometime during that tour, there was one of those Penthouse letters published and it was purported to be from a female in the USAF having a dalliance with a general on board one of those.

That would have been my luck.  Not Hickman in Hawaii.  Not Japan.  Not Germany.  Nope - you are for Nebraska.
Enjoy the corn!

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 29, 2018, 10:58:23 PM
More...no prurient interest assured but interesting in terms of conspiracy theories and politics...but post "letters" in any event.  ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 11:03:09 PM
That would have been my luck.  Not Hickman in Hawaii.  Not Japan.  Not Germany.  Nope - you are for Nebraska.
Enjoy the corn!

When I was in tech school I filled out my “Dream Sheet” with bases in Texas and Florida. I got stationed in Plattsburgh NY. When I tried to cross train into computer programming, I was told I was the next person in my career field to get assigned overseas and it was disapproved. 2 days later I received a telegram telling me I had 30 days to report to Offutt.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on January 29, 2018, 11:04:33 PM
More...no prurient interest assured but interesting in terms of conspiracy theories and politics...but post "letters" in any event.  ;)

I don’t have any penthouse magazines. I was actually out at March AFB attending the NCO Academy when that issue came out. I just remember everyone asking me, since I was stationed at Offutt, if I knew who the woman was (I didn’t). 

My favorite post over on the GLP freakout thread for this says simply:
"Ed Dames was right."      :P

Christ.  What the hell is going on tonight?   

Drudge has a link to a CLAIM: Human-chimpanzee hybrid born in FL lab; Killed by panicked docs... story.
I better get some sleep before something else happens...........

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 29, 2018, 11:23:22 PM
Hell, why not here. A plane with 84 plumbers onboard had to return to Oslo because of a malfunctioning toilet.

https://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/norwegian-norway-flight-84-plumbers-return-toilet-problem

"Ladies and Gentleman.  No need to panic but is there a Plumber onboard?"

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 29, 2018, 11:23:22 PM
Hell, why not here. A plane with 84 plumbers onboard had to return to Oslo because of a malfunctioning toilet.

https://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/norwegian-norway-flight-84-plumbers-return-toilet-problem
There is a joke somewhere, besides the obvious. Any Swedes or Danes on BG?

Quote from: albrecht on January 29, 2018, 11:32:06 PM
There is a joke somewhere, besides the obvious. Any Swedes or Danes on BG?

If so, perhaps they are in Seat 29E

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 11:20:29 PM
Christ.  What the hell is going on tonight?   

Drudge has a link to a CLAIM: Human-chimpanzee hybrid born in FL lab; Killed by panicked docs... story.
I better get some sleep before something else happens...........
Clickbate. Old news. Stalin and some Frenchies, as I recall, used to try. (Before you sleep though- know that the Chinese and N.Koreans, and likely others, are doing genetic stuff without any "worries" about moral questions or whatever.) This is also not to say that we, collective/royal usage, aren't doing "things." There also was "interesting" stuff going on in SA back in the day. Scary all.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 11:35:31 PM
Ha! I recall that letter going around. In all seriousness if you write a letter to a company, especially airlines or rental car companies you will often get a good result. (And maybe on their list if done poorly.) But written well and to, and cc others, high level and be sane, calm, and detailed they will often give you "points" etc for your bad service. Same with low level staff. You aren't going to get far yelling at the poor gal operating a kiosk. She can't change weather or whatever airlines do. But if you go to another place, with no yelling people, and talk you might get the skinny or a way to find another flight. Same with getting "bumped"  credit etc (used to be also a shaving kit and a hotel but that is going by wayside.)

Quote from: albrecht on January 29, 2018, 11:36:19 PM
Clickbate. Old news. Stalin and some Frenchies, as I recall, used to try. (Before you sleep though- know that the Chinese and N.Koreans, and likely others, are doing genetic stuff without any "worries" about moral questions or whatever.) This is also not to say that we, collective/royal usage, aren't doing "things." There also was "interesting" stuff going on in SA back in the day. Scary all.

Thanks.  I didn't have the strength to click on it.  Seems like a good topic for Dietrich to cover but after his on air, nervous breakdown Saturday. I think I'm on Dietrich hiatus for awhile.  The last 10 minutes were some creepy shit.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 11:44:22 PM
Thanks.  I didn't have the strength to click on it.  Seems like a good topic for Dietrich to cover but after his on air, nervous breakdown Saturday. I think I'm on Dietrich hiatus for awhile.  The last 10 minutes were some creepy shit.

That humanzee article talked about something that MIGHT have happened in 1920.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 11:35:31 PM

I remember when that came out. I was having to fly Continental to commute back and forth to WV from IAH to Pittsburgh. Luckily I was a frequent flyer and got upgraded more times than not.

Thanks for the laugh.

Taaroa

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 29, 2018, 10:32:50 PM
rolling gps blackouts in the west coast.
Here's another article:
https://www.flyingmag.com/upcoming-gps-outage-in-western-us-could-mean-back-to-basics

There are attempts nowadays to move towards using GPS more heavily by civil aircraft while permanently shutting down existing VORs and NDBs - what are you meant to do when those don't exist and the GPS is out?

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 29, 2018, 10:34:54 PM

Happens in Australia sometimes to general aviation planes, where the owners/operators just tie them down at an airport or stick them in a hangar and hope for the best instead of flying them out of range.

Pic related happened last year during one in Queensland:

Quote from: Taaroa on January 30, 2018, 12:23:36 AM
Here's another article:
https://www.flyingmag.com/upcoming-gps-outage-in-western-us-could-mean-back-to-basics

There are attempts nowadays to move towards using GPS more heavily by civil aircraft while permanently shutting down existing VORs and NDBs - what are you meant to do when those don't exist and the GPS is out?

Happens in Australia sometimes to general aviation planes, where the owners/operators just tie them down at an airport or stick them in a hangar and hope for the best instead of flying them out of range.

Pic related happened last year during one in Queensland:

Oh yeah. 
Used to work with a guy that would buy cracked up small planes, repair them and get them airworthy.  Then he would resell them.
A little different than billions of dollars worth of strategic assets, but a Tornado can spin up quickly.