• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Shaving

Started by Dr. MD MD, November 29, 2016, 05:31:00 AM

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2016, 12:53:55 PM
... And not a good idea to decide you need a haircut when one is drunk.
Ha!  I can't think of too many things that ARE good to do when drunk.  I think they made several movies, kind of along that line, with some other drugs to move things along.  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: akwilly on November 29, 2016, 07:00:07 AM
haha ya I hear you on the sensitive skin part. When I used to have to shave daily I used sensitive shaving cream and even women's bic razors. I hope to only use an electric shaver going forward. I've noticed that since I quit shaving daily with a razor that my hair growth has slowed considerably. I am not a beard guy but have found not a lot if difference between shaving every 2 weeks or so to shaving once a month.

I can never get a close enough shave with an electric. I always feel like I have to go over it again with a blade.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2016, 12:37:47 PM
Shave after you shower and it is cheaper and closer shave to just use an old-fashioned safety razor and buy a box of blades and replace blade more frequently than these expensive and ridiculous razors with five blades etc that just catch hair in them. Electric razors never worked well with me unless you are doing it twice a day and even then get blunt and tend to "pull" hair out instead of cut. But if that sensitive grow a beard- just make sure to not grow a 'hipster' style one.

I always find before showering better because I still have some natural oil on my skin that seems to help reduce the friction.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsOver on November 29, 2016, 12:51:10 PM
Why mess around?  Just go with nitro and a match.  You'll clean-up nicely.

LOL!  ;D

Jackstar

I shave when she insists, or when it itches.

Every man fights a war with his hair. Some men win--all men lose.

Jackstar

I tried this stuff and was pleasantly surprised by its efficacy. I recommend it to those looking for an edge.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2016, 12:53:55 PM
Yep, crazy to pay someone to cut your hair. I got a trimmer for like $10 and also got a few of those old school manual ones that people used to use to do trims to keep sideburns and neck line clean. ...

What we need is a Face Flowbee.

Gd5150

Quote from: Jackstar on November 29, 2016, 01:47:17 PM

I tried this stuff and was pleasantly surprised by its efficacy. I recommend it to those looking for an edge.

Up to 90 shaves! Amazing it lasts that long. You'd think showering would remove it from the skin.  ;D

Jackstar

Yeah, I was skeptical as well. I don't know if it would be that useful for every hair type, but at the right length of beard, five drops will cover my whole skull sufficiently.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Penis mv on November 29, 2016, 11:37:10 AM
Pussy.

Gunny, I'm just not ready for one of your "shaves" again. Remember last time? I didn't go so well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDVfl3OJb8

Robert

Rite Aid's disposable 3-blade flex razors used to be good, but turned to shit last year.  Shop Rite's 3-blade disposable pivoting razors are excellent as well as cheaper, from my recent sampling.  Shaving creams seem all about the same, and much better than ordinary soap thanks to their big load of stearic acid.

What are you smiling about, Wolfie?  You don't shave AFAIK.

Uncle Duke

Got turned on to these by a black NCO who worked for me some years ago, would pick up a bunch of them cheaply on TDY when I had access to the BX.  Really helped with ingrown hairs and overall irritation.  Grew a beard eventually, but use these still to keep the neck beard in check.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert on November 29, 2016, 08:30:59 PM
Rite Aid's disposable 3-blade flex razors used to be good, but turned to shit last year.  Shop Rite's 3-blade disposable pivoting razors are excellent as well as cheaper, from my recent sampling.  Shaving creams seem all about the same, and much better than ordinary soap thanks to their big load of stearic acid.

What are you smiling about, Wolfie?  You don't shave AFAIK.

It's funny, I can remember on the first season of SNL they did one of their spoof commercials about The Triple Trac, a three blade razor, like that was just the craziest thing ever.  :D

No problem with me.  I take a shower and shave my face afterwards daily.  Once a month or two, I'll shave below. I like how it feels.

I use the Gillette pivot plus.  Electric razors irritate my skin.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 29, 2016, 11:42:47 AM
Inglorious Bitch asked me to post this. Apparently her five o'clock shadow starts coming through about 11am.

Oh how clever.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Chefist on November 29, 2016, 12:27:24 PM
I'm a shower shaver...the hot water and steam really softens the whiskers beforehand...and a Dollar Shave Club member...

So, you like the shave club then?

akwilly

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 29, 2016, 08:56:10 PM
No problem with me.  I take a shower and shave my face afterwards daily.  Once a month or two, I'll shave below. I like how it feels.

I'm still not clear if girls prefer when dudes shave down below.

Quote from: akwilly on November 29, 2016, 08:58:47 PM
I'm still not clear if girls prefer when dudes shave down below.

If you're into giving oral sex, you'd probably prefer no hair.  If you aren't, then you'll prefer the hair.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on November 29, 2016, 01:49:55 PM
What we need is a Face Flowbee.
Ha!  Zeeb, that sounds like something Jorch might say, only it would come out "Tommee, we need a Face Flowby, yeeewww know.  Garsh!  Whut if I got my mustache caught in it!"

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 29, 2016, 08:56:10 PM

Serious but naive Q.   Don't that itch like unholy hell when it first starts to grow back?

Quote from: Walks_At_Night (ツ) on November 29, 2016, 09:10:45 PM
Serious but naive Q.   Doen't that itch like unholy hell when it first starts to grow back?

Not really.  There was a slight urge to itch but it passed quickly.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night (ツ) on November 29, 2016, 09:10:45 PM
Serious but naive Q.   Don't that itch like unholy hell when it first starts to grow back?
Yes, from my limited experience years ago. But not as much itching as reason for shaving there in the first place. Memo: stay away from hippie chicks and Mexico.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2016, 09:16:59 PM
Yes, from my limited experience years ago. But not as much itching as reason for shaving there in the first place. Memo: stay away from hippie chicks and Mexico.

....and many lower abdominal surgeries.

trostol

Quote from: Chefist on November 29, 2016, 12:27:24 PM
I'm a shower shaver...the hot water and steam really softens the whiskers beforehand...and a Dollar Shave Club member...

need to try that one..tried Harry's..wasn't too bad

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 29, 2016, 05:31:00 AM
I really hate shaving. I have sensitive skin I guess because I usually can't get through a shave without a nick or two. I suppose choice of razor and shaving cream can make some difference but if I could take a pill that would stop the growth of my facial hair and had no side effects and left me unchanged in every other way I would. So, I thought I'd open this thread to all who want to bitch and/or share suggestions for products and techniques. This includes you too, ladies.  ;)

Right now I've been using this stuff from Italy called Proraso. It's a little pricey but really slicks your face up. I find it's helping reduce the amount of nicks.

I use Proraso products too, they're great; I have sensitive skin too. I'm going to assume you're NOT using a straight edge "cut throat" razor. You should use a double edge safety razor. It uses a simple razor blade; one side goes dull, you still got the other one. Please stay away from those razors that have 5 blades; just marketing from big companies, why do people let themselves get talked into buying $30 blades? Also, they're way too tough on sensitive skin.

I'd suggest you also use a pre shave lotion before you actually use your shaving cream. Proraso's is very good; it has the consistency of a shave cream, it really helps to soften the whiskers, and condition the skin. You should rinse your face with warm/semi hot water before you use the pre shave lotion. This will also help open the pores, and soften the whiskers.

When you shave, glide the razor in the direction that the whiskers grow "with the grain". DO NOT shave "against the grain", this guarantees you'll irritate sensitive skin.

After you removed the last of the shaving cream with your razor, I'd suggest rinsing your face with cool/cold water. This will close the pores, also helps lessen any irritation.

To finish use an after shave balm, or after shave lotion. If you find that after shave lotion "burns" too much, you can dilute it with some water. Also, try to find one with a lower alcohol content.

Hope this helps you.  :)

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 29, 2016, 09:13:04 PM
Not really.  There was a slight urge to itch but it passed quickly.

Since we are here.  Another naive Q.

So.....   Like.....  What about the doo-dads?    Just the thought of a razor near my boys makes me squirm.   

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: god of thunder on November 29, 2016, 09:35:11 PM
I use Proraso products too, they're great; I have sensitive skin too. I'm going to assume you're NOT using a straight edge "cut throat" razor. You should use a double edge safety razor. It uses a simple razor blade; one side goes dull, you still got the other one. Please stay away from those razors that have 5 blades; just marketing from big companies, why do people let themselves get talked into buying $30 blades? Also, they're way too tough on sensitive skin.

I'd suggest you also use a pre shave lotion before you actually use your shaving cream. Proraso's is very good; it has the consistency of a shave cream, it really helps to soften the whiskers, and condition the skin. You should rinse your face with warm/semi hot water before you use the pre shave lotion. This will also help open the pores, and soften the whiskers.

When you shave, glide the razor in the direction that the whiskers grow "with the grain". DO NOT shave "against the grain", this guarantees you'll irritate sensitive skin.

After you removed the last of the shaving cream with your razor, I'd suggest rinsing your face with cool/cold water. This will close the pores, also helps lessen any irritation.

To finish use an after shave balm, or after shave lotion. If you find that after shave lotion "burns" too much, you can dilute it with some water. Also, try to find one with a lower alcohol content.

Hope this helps you.  :)

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response. I've bought several different razor with changeable heads over the years but I've just been using Gillette Good News disposables lately. I've tried many and I think this is probably the best disposable razor for my face. I feel very guilty about the waste though. My dad had an old single blade system from years ago that I should try. I wasn't even sure I'd still be able to find blades for it though.

Regarding the direction of shaving I do both. I'm just not clean shaven unless I do and will still have lots of stubble. So, I do it but I do it VERY slowly and carefully.  ;)

I don't always remember to put it on but I usually use Kiehl's Facial Fuel as a daily moisturizer whether I shave or not.

my personal favorite method.   8)

akwilly

Quote from: Walks_At_Night (ツ) on November 29, 2016, 09:41:39 PM
Since we are here.  Another naive Q.

So.....   Like.....  What about the doo-dads?    Just the thought of a razor near my boys makes me squirm.
maybe it is a pluck situation