• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Ongoing Climate and Weather Debate including General Weather News

Started by 21st Century Man, October 22, 2016, 12:36:08 AM

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 22, 2016, 05:32:51 PM
I'm sure you made up these numbers, but you don't think anybody has been abducted by an alien?  I'm not 100% sure Whitley Streiber claimed he was ever abducted but his story is pretty close and he sounds totally sincere to me.  Travis Walton was falsely attacked for committing fraud when all that happened there was an honest mistake and he sounds sincere to me and Betty and Barney Hill were totally sincere.  Other than with Whitley Streiber who is an author, I don't think either the Travis Walton Case or the Hill's case can be explained by their 'overactive imaginations.'  Especially not Travis Walton as he had separate witnesses.

I realize that writing I think these are likely genuine cases of alien abductions will, to some here, weaken my credible on other things I write here, but with everything, my view is: I go wherever the best evidence takes me, even when it takes me to some very strange places.

I also don't necessary believe in angels, but there are many credible stories of people who report they heard a voice telling them to either not to do something or to do something that saved their lives. The prosaic explanation for these is 'they subconsiously noticed something that they responded to and they only thought they heard a voice." I think the evidence for that explanation is very weak as in many cases there was no way they or their subconscious could have noticed anything.

You better think this over again because I agree with everything that you said in this post.  Something is wrong.  :P :D

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 22, 2016, 05:29:57 PM
I can see this will be a popular thread.  For the record, while I take back my comment about volcanoes and co2, I still am skeptical that co2 emissions from man is a problem and that it is inducing climate change.  I certainly don't think it should be used as an excuse to increase taxes.

There is a lot of science that says that CO2 rises occur after temperature rise, kind of injecting doubt into the argument that CO2 causes the temperature rise. Since 1850, temperatures have risen slightly, which one would expect given that we had just experienced the "little ice age". CO2 has gone up as well. But there will always be arguments over whether CO2 causes the temperature rise.

http://m.phys.org/news/2012-07-temperatures-co2-climate.html

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2016, 05:36:39 PM
There is a lot of science that says that CO2 rises occur after temperature rise, kind of injecting doubt into the argument that CO2 causes the temperature rise. Since 1850, temperatures have risen slightly, which one would expect given that we had just experienced the "little ice age". CO2 has gone up as well. But there will always be arguments over whether CO2 causes the temperature rise.

http://m.phys.org/news/2012-07-temperatures-co2-climate.html

Right and that is why I have doubts about the co2 theory.  We've been coming out of this little ice age and of course the temperature has gone up.  Coincidentally this happened the same time the industrial age kicked in.  Who can say for sure what has caused the temperature increase?

136 or 142

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 22, 2016, 05:35:49 PM
You better think this over again because I agree with everything that you said in this post.  Something is wrong.  :P :D

George Noory used to tell the story of the time he was going to drive through a green light and he stopped suddenly and the cars behind him were honking their horns and a car going the other way went by at very high speed through the red light.  I don't remember if Noory said he heard a voice or if he said he saw an angel or exactly what.

His guest replied "You must have subconsciously picked up on the car." 
1.Noory said the car going the other way was going very fast.  It would have been far too far away for Noory subconsciously or otherwise to notice it.  Of course, Noory could have confused the speed that car was going, as that tends to happen, but I still find it very hard to believe.

2.Why would anybody think the dullard Noory would have looked left and looked right before going through the intersection?

I don't think anybody has made any theory of the subconscious being able to do anything like this except in this case where people claim to hear voices.  To me, that suggests the subconscious must have incredible untapped powers (except, I guess for this one thing where these powers suddenly pop up).  That strikes me as being far more incredible than the idea that these people actually heard a voice, since that is what they say happened to them.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 22, 2016, 05:51:43 PM
George Noory used to tell the story of the time he was going to drive through a green light and he stopped suddenly and the cars behind him were honking their horns and a car going the other way went by at very high speed through the red light.  I don't remember if Noory said he heard a voice or if he said he saw an angel or exactly what.

His guest replied "You must have subconsciously picked up on the car." 
1.Noory said the car going the other way was going very fast.  It would have been far too far away for Noory subconsciously or otherwise to notice it.  Of course, Noory could have confused the speed that car was going, as that tends to happen, but I still find it very hard to believe.

2.Why would anybody think the dullard Noory would have looked left and looked right before going through the intersection?

I don't think anybody has made any theory of the subconscious being able to do anything like this except in this case where people claim to hear voices.  To me, that suggests the subconscious must have incredible untapped powers (except, I guess for this one thing where these powers suddenly pop up).  That strikes me as being far more incredible than the idea that these people actually heard a voice, since that is what they say happened to them.

Again, I agree.  Time for the ballgame.  See youse guys later. :)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 22, 2016, 02:53:48 PM
Fewer than 50% of American citizens believe in man-made climate change according to Pew.  Sure you can say the rest of us are idiots but the fact of the matter is many people are not convinced.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/10/04/public-views-on-climate-change-and-climate-scientists/

Part of the problem with this is that the corporations causing it pour lots of money into disinformation campaigns to cast doubt and confuse people about issues for which there is no debate in science. Unless it's an ideology you're committed to I'd suggest watching this before making up your mind.  ;)

https://xmovies8.org/watch?v=Merchants_of_Doubt_2014#video=dwjRihyBzPdHnOqP1P1T2vZ_iA_RGVB5LdTA44RtdqE

GravitySucks

So now liberals are having seances with dead economists to justify carbon taxes. You have outdone yourself.

Go conjure me up a sandwich.

136 or 142

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2016, 07:11:20 PM
So now liberals are having seances with dead economists to justify carbon taxes. You have outdone yourself.

Go conjure me up a sandwich.

Followers of Milton Friedman on economics are liberals?

GravitySucks

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 22, 2016, 08:02:33 PM
Followers of Milton Friedman on economics are liberals?

Go watch the Dead Poets Society. I am tired of you.

136 or 142

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2016, 08:05:50 PM
Go watch the Dead Poets Society. I am tired of you.

You're the intellectually dishonest fraud here, not me.

This is what Friedman personally said on externatlities:

Via Avedon Carol, we get to Nathan Gardels who relates some comments from his interview with Milton Friedman â€" apparently Friedman’s last interview:

Gardels: In the end, your ideas have triumphed over Marx and Keynes. Is this, then, the end of the road for economic thought? Is there anything more to say than free markets are the most efficient way to organize a society? Is it the “end of history,” as Francis Fukuyama put it?

Friedman: Oh no. “Free markets” is a very general term. There are all sorts of problems that will emerge. Free markets work best when the transaction between two individuals affects only those individuals. But that isn’t the fact. The fact is that, most often, a transaction between you and me affects a third party. That is the source of all problems for government. That is the source of all pollution problems, of the inequality problem. This reality ensures that the end of history will never come.

Gee, Milton Friedman was concerned about externalities. I’ve noted on other posts that in my exchanges with Arnold Harberger, I always found him to be very concerned about externalities as well. There, ladies and gentlemen, I believe is the difference between a smart, honest conservative and an idiot: the former recognizes that externalities are a problem and there’s some sort of a role for government in correcting them. The latter talks only about the beauty of the free market and property rights.

http://angrybearblog.com/2007/10/friedman-externalities-and-difference.html

136 or 142

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2016, 08:12:15 PM
Where's my sandwich plebe?

Apparently you're a scientist. You figure out a way for me to send you a sandwich through the ether (or through the whatever) and I'll make you one.

theONE

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2016, 04:52:34 PM
According to this, rice fields account for 13% of methane introduced into the atmosphere.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/rice-paddy-methane-emissi/

Very interesting article.
I never liked rice that much, last time I eat rice was like 6 or 7 years ago, and it was brown.
In that case rice should be eliminated from cultivation and replaced with quinoa and hemp protein, both of them
are very easy crops to grow and don't require rich soils to grow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hog

Quote from: onan on October 22, 2016, 05:19:03 PM
Yes methane is worse. And as we get warmer due to CO2, the permafrost will start to thaw (already is) which will increase methane into the atmosphere.
A positive feedback system.

While in North Korea they burn used tires to power steam locomotives.

Black ashen deposits land on white ice and causes concentrated areas of melting, and water flow, which is speeding the rate of calving of the Greenland glaciers.

There is some very interesting satellite imaging from the last 40 years tracking the yearly CO2 flow patterns around the world. Thanks NASA.

peace
Hog

Hog

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 22, 2016, 05:40:36 PM
Right and that is why I have doubts about the co2 theory.  We've been coming out of this little ice age and of course the temperature has gone up.  Coincidentally this happened the same time the industrial age kicked in.  Who can say for sure what has caused the temperature increase?
We can all say with certainty that the increase in global climate temperatures is due to the reduction in reflected solar energy back into space.

Hey Gravity, are we still going to build a dome over Houston so that it can remain liveable?

I know that NASA has had to come up with new plans to keep the space launch infrastructure in Florida from being encroached upon by the rising tides.  Weve already had gators in the VAB, we dont need fish in there as well.

peace
Hog

GravitySucks

Quote from: Hog on October 22, 2016, 11:42:25 PM
We can all say with certainty that the increase in global climate temperatures is due to the reduction in reflected solar energy back into space.

Hey Gravity, are we still going to build a dome over Houston so that it can remain liveable?

I know that NASA has had to come up with new plans to keep the space launch infrastructure in Florida from being encroached upon by the rising tides.  Weve already had gators in the VAB, we dont need fish in there as well.

peace
Hog

The morons down in here in Houston don't know what to do with the dome we already have. The voters voted to tear it down. The county commissioners ignored the will of the people and are spending money to turn it into a parking garage. So much for the 8th wonder of the world. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Hog on October 22, 2016, 11:42:25 PM

Just to make this explicit can you say why that is and perhaps provide a link?

Juan

I have two concerns.
1. How accurate is the data?  About a dozen years ago a retired meteorologist in California put up a website on which he posted the NOAA map showing where all of their little weather stations were.  They are boxes about 12" on a side placed on poles about six feet above ground.  He also published the NOAA specifications for where the stations should be located - in grass fields of a certain size, distance from buildings, etc.
   He asked people to go out and photograph the stations to see if they complied.  Photos were posted showing stations within a few feet of air conditioner vents, in the middle of asphalt parking lots, and one famously showed homeless people burning rubblish directly beneath one.  My own station in Florida was about 10-feet from a blacktop parking lot - far too close. 
   I suspect the data.
2. Experts are famously wrong in their predictions about almost everything.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Juan on October 23, 2016, 07:16:32 AM
I have two concerns.
1. How accurate is the data?  About a dozen years ago a retired meteorologist in California put up a website on which he posted the NOAA map showing where all of their little weather stations were.  They are boxes about 12" on a side placed on poles about six feet above ground.  He also published the NOAA specifications for where the stations should be located - in grass fields of a certain size, distance from buildings, etc.
   He asked people to go out and photograph the stations to see if they complied.  Photos were posted showing stations within a few feet of air conditioner vents, in the middle of asphalt parking lots, and one famously showed homeless people burning rubblish directly beneath one.  My own station in Florida was about 10-feet from a blacktop parking lot - far too close. 
   I suspect the data.
2. Experts are famously wrong in their predictions about almost everything.

Is that an appeal to authority? When multi national automonous scientific studies around the globe arrive at the same scenario, its a safe bet that they're not all wrong.

Its funny how such research, undertaken over decades is doubted/ dismissed by some, yet any bullshit spouted by such as David Icke is lapped up as empirical fact.

Juan

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 23, 2016, 07:28:54 AM

Is that an appeal to authority? When multi national automonous scientific studies around the globe arrive at the same scenario, its a safe bet that they're not all wrong.

Its funny how such research, undertaken over decades is doubted/ dismissed by some, yet any bullshit spouted by such as David Icke is lapped up as empirical fact.
If the data is suspect in the US, what assurance do we have that it's better in other countries?
Yes.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Juan on October 23, 2016, 07:51:05 AM
If the data is suspect in the US, what assurance do we have that it's better in other countries?
Yes.

Who suspects it?

onan

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 23, 2016, 07:59:22 AM
Who suspects it?

According to Juan's logic, the left of these two images of Uranus is the correct one because it's based on raw data while the right is a fraud because the Keck telescope on Hawaii used adaptive optics to counter the turbulence in the Earth's atmosphere!

TigerLily

The latest Santa Ana finally broke. Please bring back El Niño

Catsmile

Whur I live wuz once at the heart of dozens of stars...
Whur I live will be ate up by the sun one day...
Climate iz gonna climatez.

Long az u got Jeezus, gunz, an wimmenz... all dat maff an sci-ants iz crap. 'Merica!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Catsmile on October 23, 2016, 12:16:38 PM
Whur I live wuz once at the heart of dozens of stars...
Whur I live will be ate up by the sun one day...
Climate iz gonna climatez.

Long az u got Jeezus, gunz, an wimmenz... all dat maff an sci-ants iz crap. 'Merica!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

I watched that film a couple of years ago. Its frighteningly real.

Jackstar

This thread is as relevant as the question of ultimate supremacy between Superman and Mighty Mouse.

136 or 142

Quote from: Jackstar on October 23, 2016, 12:30:57 PM
This thread is as relevant as the question of ultimate supremacy between Superman and Mighty Mouse.

Quick, who killed JFK?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Jackstar on October 23, 2016, 12:30:57 PM

Awww bless you. And the Jetsons was a documentary about the future when we'd all be flying around in spaceships. Wait a minute; wasn't JFK  a lying commie scumbag? But you trust him on making the weather?