• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Bumper Music

Started by MV/Liberace!, January 24, 2009, 02:28:13 AM

The General

Quote from: The General on November 17, 2013, 01:12:33 PM
Watched "Cowboys and Aliens" last night and recognized the music right away...

Cowboys And Aliens Soundtrack Nr. #1 - Jake Lonergan ( Theme )
And I thought it was from Coast to Coast... silly me, I now realize that it's a song Dennis Prager uses a lot.  Sounds like a C2C bump, tho.  Art, come back and use this song, k?

bateman

Quote from: The General on January 28, 2014, 10:29:00 PM
And I thought it was from Coast to Coast... silly me, I now realize that it's a song Dennis Prager uses a lot.  Sounds like a C2C bump, tho.  Art, come back and use this song, k?

Batchelor uses that one too.

The General

Quote from: bateman on January 28, 2014, 10:48:05 PM
Batchelor uses that one too.
I need to check him out.  You like him, huh?

bateman

Quote from: The General on January 29, 2014, 12:20:58 AM
I need to check him out.  You like him, huh?

Select segments. I remember this one from last year gave me chills.

http://johnbatchelorshow.com/podcasts/2013/04/19/special-podcast

The General

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on February 25, 2014, 01:02:05 PM
can anybody identify this one?
Man, I didn't think I'd be stumped.  But I am.  Damn hubris.

Jerry Goldsmith, track: Rae's Arrival

From the Medicine Man soundtrack

Jerry Goldsmith - Medicine Man - Rae's Arrival - Intro

fast forward to about 1:08

P.S. My wife used to babysit Jerry's kids.

The General

Quote from: guildnavigator on February 25, 2014, 02:59:51 PM
Jerry Goldsmith, track: Rae's Arrival

From the Medicine Man soundtrack
Jesus, man... you're good.

ksm32

I hear a ton of AB bumpers on Sirius (the bridge) Channel 32. I never get tired of Year Of The Cat although the electric guitar (solo part before the 3rd verse) is very abrasive. I just love that song.  The Way It Is happens to be another one I love.

Art overplayed Twilight Zone to death. Fuck I hate that song now.

Quote from: ksm32 on February 25, 2014, 11:08:29 PM
Art overplayed Twilight Zone to death. Fuck I hate that song now.

Evidently you weren't watching MTV in 1983. That song got played every few hours!

Did anyone else find themselves getting really into certain groups or musicians listening to Coast?  Hearing "Take the Long Way Home" constantly from Art was pretty much the start of my love for Supertramp.

wenck

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on May 03, 2014, 10:17:28 PM
Did anyone else find themselves getting really into certain groups or musicians listening to Coast?  Hearing "Take the Long Way Home" constantly from Art was pretty much the start of my love for Supertramp.

I've noticed that too, with Cusco being the first band that comes first to mind. With songs like "Take the Long Way Home," I already liked that song before I heard it on Coast, but now it's one of my favourites because it invokes memories of listening to the show.

henge0stone

I bought Cusco's apurimac on a Cd a few weeks ago, man what an awesome record. I recognized 80 % of the songs from C2C. Inca Bridges was my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8r5iypw1B8

I always loved Cusco. Their flutes gave a wave of mystery that fits perfectly with his show and the nighttime. The intro song was always a good fit too. I almost can't believe he picked it out before he made the show about the paranormal since it sounds like music you'd hear on a ufo.

Can't forget this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7Ke9Org9U&list=PLR6d4wNl92S7l-QLaSytp87kYOT2AfVKi

I always thought that should have been his Dark Matter theme.

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 23, 2013, 09:59:00 AM
He made a big deal about doing it when he started.  He has some big fun with it.

Does anyone know where one can hear the Art Bell Phase-Shifted version of Moody Blues "Ride My Seesaw"?

Also, does anyone have any idea of the exact technique he used to manipulate the song?

eddie dean

Quote from: reallysupereasy on January 08, 2015, 02:20:48 AM
Does anyone know where one can hear the Art Bell Phase-Shifted version of Moody Blues "Ride My Seesaw"?

Also, does anyone have any idea of the exact technique he used to manipulate the song?

I don't think Art added an extra phaser effect to that song. It's already present in the original Moody Blues mix. The reason why it sounds so different when Art played the track on his show is because AM radio is a mono signal. The station sums the left and right channels of a stereo mix into mono. Meaning equal amounts of both channels are combined  into a single mono audio feed.  The song sounds different or overly phased because of the inherent properties of what the phaser does to the audio.
In stereo, the phaser effect is spread over both channels, it modulates in depth and frequency from left to right and sounds as the original mix engineer intended. When summed to mono, certain effects, particularly a phaser, can be enhanced in certain sections, or it can be diminished, or completely canceled out, in other sections. It all depends on the properties/settings of the phaser effect that was used. Such as: frequency, modulation, speed, depth and feedback just to name a few. Strange things can happen when a stereo mix is summed to mono, especially when it has a phaser effect.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaser_(effect)

That's exactly why I'm interested in hearing the Art Bell AM version because when I listen to it in AM mono, it amazingly sounds rather 3D and stereo.  When I listen to the original stereo recording of Moody Blues Ride My Seesaw, I don't hear those amazing effects of the sound seeming to move around in space with reference to the listener.

It's possible it's simply the transition from stereo to mono as you say, but I seem to recall art saying on air that he had "phase shifted" the song himself in order to achieve that effect, and I also thing someone earlier in this thread recalls that as well. 

Any ideas on how to reproduce this on a computer?  If i split ride my seesaw into 2 mono tracks in audacity and play them at the same time it sounds nothing like what Art used to play. I also found a mono 45rpm version that sounded nothing like it.

I think Art might have added some extra phase shifting to this and ELO's Don't bring me down

littlechris

http://youtu.be/VHpYcRP0C18

Goodnight my sweet fellow Bellgabbers. xoxox

-

analog kid

Quote from: The General on February 25, 2014, 03:52:15 AM

Commodores - Nightshift

That song reminds me of my late father for some reason. It's a favorite, but it's a bit too sentimental to listen to very often.

Bart Ell

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on January 13, 2015, 01:45:42 PM
Any ideas on how to reproduce this on a computer?  If i split ride my seesaw into 2 mono tracks in audacity and play them at the same time it sounds nothing like what Art used to play. I also found a mono 45rpm version that sounded nothing like it.

I think Art might have added some extra phase shifting to this and ELO's Don't bring me down

He did. I remember it being his thing for a stretch. 180 degrees is your friend I do believe.

ACE of CLUBS

Was always a fan of the beautiful brown eyed Nancy Sinatra and her singing partner Lee Hazlewood ....... the haunting, wistful opening of 'Some Velvet Morning' ...... timeless and somewhat sad.  We've travelled many miles since those days with Art ....

nextgen.fm

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on January 20, 2015, 07:26:02 PM
Was always a fan of the beautiful brown eyed Nancy Sinatra and her singing partner Lee Hazlewood ....... the haunting, wistful opening of 'Some Velvet Morning' ...... timeless and somewhat sad.  We've travelled many miles since those days with Art ....

i love when that gets played

not often now

nextgen.fm

I liked Art's music selections better, and he consistently used them

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on January 20, 2015, 07:26:02 PM

I had never heard that song until Art started using it and I went wild over it as you can tell by my screen name.  It is now one of my all-time favorites.  I bought the CD and a few others of Nancy & Hazlewood.  Nancy owes Art a fee for new purchases by those like me.  ;D

I hope when Art comes back in July he uses some of the stuff he didn't really use on Dark Matter. Like little ballerina blue, more Cusco, etc.