• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

"DB Cooper--Case Closed" on History Channel

Started by Uncle Duke, July 11, 2016, 07:23:26 AM

Uncle Duke

Any comments on this program?  Part one was last night, will conclude tonight with part two.  The suspect they have identified certainly had the skill set needed to pull off the hijacking, and he looked at the time very much like the composite drawing generated immediately after the hijacking. The highlight of the program for me will be what is claimed as an on camera, on-the-record interview with former stew Tina Mucklow.  At Cooper's insistence, she was the only stew who remained on board and served as his go between with the cockpit.  Ms Mucklow pretty much dropped off the face of the Earth soon after the hijacking, and has refused to talk to the few intrepid researchers and journalists who have found her on occasion over the years. 

Juan

I thought it was very interesting.  Duke, what do you think of the argument that Cooper must not have known what he was doing because he jumped in loafers and without a jacket?  Has anyone ever said whether he had any carry on baggage?  Maybe he brought boots and clothing with him.
I think the evidence is greater that he did know what he was doing and had had military training - the style of parachute he requested, etc.
I thought the conclusion that the people who found the money were somehow in on it a stretch.  Like one of the FBI guys, I thought the father was reacting to being called a hippie.
I'll be watching tonight.

Uncle Duke

Was jumping with no coat and wearing loafers the best idea?  No, but a highly skilled, experienced jumper would have been less impacted by such things than an inexperienced jumper.  As far as I know, the only carry-on he had was the brief case he claimed contained the bomb.  He could have had accomplices, however, either on the flight (who could have carried on gear for him) or waiting on the ground.  And yes, the man knew what he was doing, especially with regard to flight parameters relative to using the aft air stairs to manually egress the a/c in flight.  The fact Air America did this is SEA offers a potential source for his knowledge of the process.  I also believe he chose a dogshit weather night to make the jump, knowing it would seriously hinder those looking for him in the short term. 

Juan

So (ha) the whole thing was bullshit.  93-pieces of evidence that are not evidence of Cooper.  It shows what happens when amateurs investigate.

Lilith

Well, I was enjoying watching, but I found the ending to be a big let down.

Morgus

I bet Ian Punnett is watching this History Channel 2 part special - one of his favorite topics...

albrecht

Quote from: Morgus on July 11, 2016, 10:19:09 PM
I bet Ian Punnett is watching this History Channel 2 part special - one of his favorite topics...
'
Clyde Lewis, you mean. ;)

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on July 11, 2016, 10:26:10 PM
Ian did several shows on DB Cooper.
Oh. I know n liked them and the whole case n legend. Havent watched this latest show, yet. Dvred it because outta pocket. But Clyde, as I recall, knew some guy (or the guy) who was, or is??

coaster

I tried to watch it, but even though the case is interesting, the show sucks. At least History channel isnt airing American Pickers reruns right now. All that channel does is air those two insufferable idiots. How many times do you have to air five year old reruns.
I imagine this DB cooper show will be aired back to back for days.

Quote from: coaster on July 11, 2016, 10:29:38 PM
I tried to watch it, but even though the case is interesting, the show sucks. At least History channel isnt airing American Pickers reruns right now. All that channel does is air those two insufferable idiots. How many times do you have to air five year old reruns.
I imagine this DB cooper show will be aired back to back for days.
Oh come on, that isn't fair. They also run those other idiots on Pawn stars.

Uncle Duke

Yeah part 2 was quite disappointing, especially considering they probably had dozens of hours of material to edit down to just 40 minutes or so of new content for the second night's program.  I would like to see an item by item list of their 93 points of evidence, I'm guessing a fair number of them were relating to issues that were peripheral at best, like the "Swiss count" con man and the unsubstantiated accusations against the family who found the money.  The ambush interview attempt made them look very amateurish, I'm surprised they showed it.  I am glad they interviewed Tina Mucklow, and that she presented herself well.  Over the years I've heard/read many disparaging comments about her, including some questioning her mental/emotional health.  She didn't sound crazy, just tired of being hounded.

A simple question that was not asked, or not shown if it was, was whether their prime suspect was a smoker back in the day.  Cooper was described as a chain smoker by those on the a/c.  If the suspect's sister had said he didn't smoke, that would have been an indication they were on the wrong track.  I'm also confused about the status of Cooper's parachute.  Throughout the program they talked about the parachute as being critical evidence they were seeking, but the last scene showed the FBI boxing up a chute to send back to FBI HQ.  Was that the chute Cooper jumped or one of the other three delivered to the a/c?

I_Speculate

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 12, 2016, 11:41:53 AM
  I'm also confused about the status of Cooper's parachute.  Throughout the program they talked about the parachute as being critical evidence they were seeking, but the last scene showed the FBI boxing up a chute to send back to FBI HQ.  Was that the chute Cooper jumped or one of the other three delivered to the a/c?

It was one of the 2 left aboard the plane. They never recovered the chute he jumped with.

"There was no one on the plane, but two chutes remained. One was the reserve parachute that had been cut up to attach the cash bag to the hijacker. The other was the most efficient back parachute. The hijacker had chosen instead an ex-military parachute that was harder to control. The other reserve front chute, was one that was actually a dummy, but it couldn’t have been attached to the military chute the hijacker chose anyway."

Pretty good detailed account here not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=1997

Lilith

I heard ClydeLewis is covering DB Cooper tonight.  I could be wrong.  The show just started if you want to check it out.

http://tunein.com/radio/Ground-Zero-with-Clyde-Lewis-p36076/

albrecht

I did not watch the 2nd episode. Thought the whole thing was poorly produced and couldn't stand it. Although very interested in the crime and the subsequent legends/myths/theories. Just couldn't get into this show. Will catch Clyde on reply since he thinks he knows who DB Cooper was.

Lilith

Quote from: albrecht on July 14, 2016, 08:16:54 PM
I did not watch the 2nd episode. Thought the whole thing was poorly produced and couldn't stand it. Although very interested in the crime and the subsequent legends/myths/theories. Just couldn't get into this show. Will catch Clyde on reply since he thinks he knows who DB Cooper was.

I was disappointed in the special too.  Even Clyde says it was terrible.  I'm enjoying listening to him talk about it.

albrecht

Quote from: brig on July 14, 2016, 08:18:28 PM
I was disappointed in the special too.  Even Clyde says it was terrible.  I'm enjoying listening to him talk about it.
It is so weird to me how people can make interesting stories lame! And spend millions to do so!

Brody